World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at line again can anyone tell me what the difference between mono and copolymer is and which is the best ?

Cheers,

·
Registered
133 Posts
Copolymer Line is made by mixing 2,3 or more kinds of materials
together.
The main advantage is that Copolymer is thinner and stronger than normal mono line. Its also got less stretch.
Iv never used it but have heard good reports about it......ill stick with braid though

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bought a small (300m) spool of the 20lb greys greylon co polymer because I'm fishing tonight and needed to re-fill my 525 anyone used it? what do you think?:g:

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Monofilament means a single strand, the raw material is pushed through a die to produce a strand of line, so whether it's a single polymer or a blend of polymers, it is still monfilament. Braid is made by knitting several strands of monofilament. Almost all mono is copolymer now, utilising other polymers to replace the additives and plasticisers in the old nylon line making it more supple without compromising the strength.

Sunlight, ozone and exposure to oil and grease used to leech out the plasticiser in old nylon turning it brittle in a short period of time, a good copolymer line will resist attack for much much longer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts