World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Global Moderator
7,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mate Sir Vince of the Brooks fished Dungie yesterday evening. He had a 6lb codling and ....lost a monster!!!!!

It was just after high and he couldn't get the fish onto the shingle. There was a steep beach with a lip and the backwash from each wave kept the fish from the shingle. The hooks pulled after 10 minutes of trying to beach the fish. Now Vince has caught a lot of double figure cod from the beach (more than enyone else I know in the last 15 years) and knows his stuff. Unfortunately he was fishing alone and 100y from the nearest angler but even so, he said he didn't think they could have helped, even if they had a long gaff.

He had a good look at the fishes length and head/back, He estimated the fish as at least a very big double, "it could certainly have been over 20lb" he said. He was absolutely gutted.

Now Vince doesn't mess around when he's cod fishing....6/0 or 8/0 hooks and 60lb+ snoods. If you plan to fish Dungie in the near future, make sure your terminal tackle is in good order....there are some very good fish out there at the moment!

Also, very very big tides this week. Make sure you have some fixed wire grip leads with you for when the tide runs or you will be swept round until your gear is in the nearest snag or washes up the beach.

I need to go and do the washing up now, clean the windows and do some ironiong. I need some brownie points. I want to go fishing tonight and I don't usually fish at weekends. Madame F is not going to be happy!

"Gaff" Vince answered last night, "gaff! No, I needed a bloomin harpoon mate".

·
Registered
319 Posts
My mate Sir Vince of the Brooks fished Dungie yesterday evening. He had a 6lb codling and ....lost a monster!!!!!

It was just after high and he couldn't get the fish onto the shingle. There was a steep beach with a lip and the backwash from each wave kept the fish from the shingle. The hooks pulled after 10 minutes of trying to beach the fish. Now Vince has caught a lot of double figure cod from the beach (more than enyone else I know in the last 15 years) and knows his stuff. Unfortunately he was fishing alone and 100y from the nearest angler but even so, he said he didn't think they could have helped, even if they had a long gaff.

He had a good look at the fishes length and head/back, He estimated the fish as at least a very big double, "it could certainly have been over 20lb" he said. He was absolutely gutted.

Now Vince doesn't mess around when he's cod fishing....6/0 or 8/0 hooks and 60lb+ snoods. If you plan to fish Dungie in the near future, make sure your terminal tackle is in good order....there are some very good fish out there at the moment!

Also, very very big tides this week. Make sure you have some fixed wire grip leads with you for when the tide runs or you will be swept round until your gear is in the nearest snag or washes up the beach.

I need to go and do the washing up now, clean the windows and do some ironiong. I need some brownie points. I want to go fishing tonight and I don't usually fish at weekends. Madame F is not going to be happy!

"Gaff" Vince answered last night, "gaff! No, I needed a bloomin harpoon mate".
Gutted for him!! Thanks for report Si

·
Registered
30 Posts
Unlucky to the fella on losing the biggie but it's lovely to here they're out there . Last time down dungeness i had a chaps either side of me wondering why they could'nt hold bottom with 4oz breakouts .When they saw my 210 gm gemini yellow fixed wires i could see the smile on their faces. But not for long LOL . I did start out using green breakaways soft wire leads but found the whiting would dislodge them on the take and the gear was going for a stroll into the danger zone. The gemini yellows did the trick . On another note i sometimes see anglers striking really hard when they get a bite is this normal i personally have always just lifted into the fish , surely this sort of reaction can damage your line somewhere or possibly even the rod . Maybe they're course anglers ???? seems strange to me , think i should have started another thread sorry Geordie Si

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Unlucky Vince, bummer when u lose a decent fish.

Feel for ya m8, but not that much, just means it will still be out there when i next go (possibly)

·
Global Moderator
7,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agree on striking. If it's a slack line bite you need to wind like buggery until you feel some weight then strike hard to set the hooks....there is so much stretch in 80y of mono, a hard strike will do no damage and hardly be felt at the business end. However, when the lead is still in the sea bed, you need to wind down to the lead and steadily lift into it on a tight line. When the lead springs out of the sea bed, the line acts like an elastic band and catapults the lead towards you slightly. This will set the hooks by itself and then a further wind down and strike will make sure.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Unlucky Vince...still time to meet her again. Coming down tonight myself if I can sort out some bait...can't leave early enough to pump
.....never fished Dungeness on a Saturday before....must be mad !

·
Registered
117 Posts
unlucky on not landing it. thats it you wont find any room down there now.castaways will be fully booked. but dont worry heard si got a big SHED ON ORDER? with all the big cod comeing out now must be a lot less than 100 cod left so please hurry whilst stocks last.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Unlucky Vince, top tip, long snoods, hook em in the guts, hooks will never pull from there :clap2:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts