World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was bequeathed a couple of rod's after my brother died about 10 years ago. They are a Moonraker Supreme 9100 - 12 (which is in pretty bad shape), and a Power Cast 6500 - 12. I remember the Moonraker's were very good rods in the 1970's/80's when I started out beach fishing, but that's about the extent of my knowledge. I'm thinking of refurbishing it for re- use, any info you can provide on either rod would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I was bequeathed a couple of rod's after my brother died about 10 years ago. They are a Moonraker Supreme 9100 - 12 (which is in pretty bad shape), and a Power Cast 6500 - 12. I remember the Moonraker's were very good rods in the 1970's/80's when I started out beach fishing, but that's about the extent of my knowledge. I'm thinking of refurbishing it for re- use, any info you can provide on either rod would be great.

Thanks
Is that the very first model Moonraker Supreme with the Fuji Snaplock reel fitting or the next one with the winch fitting ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that the very first model Moonraker Supreme with the Fuji Snaplock reel fitting or the next one with the winch fitting ?
Don't know if it's the first model but it does have the Fuji Seat...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a few images

Attachments

Reactions: Beach Person

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Here's a few images
Yep. Looks like the very first Moonraker Supreme which my fishing buddy and I were drooling over back in about 1980. Made in Gt Britain, Scotland I believe. If the blank is undamaged it could well be worthwhile restoring it, especially for your own use. Personally I love those Fuji snaplock reel seats; I've even fitted a couple to rods of mine that previuously required coasters.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

Yep. Looks like the very first Moonraker Supreme which my fishing buddy and I were drooling over back in about 1980. Made in Gt Britain, Scotland I believe. If the blank is undamaged it could well be worthwhile restoring it, especially for your own use. Personally I love those Fuji snaplock reel seats; I've even fitted a couple to rods of mine that previuously required coasters.
That's great, thanks Beach Person. I vaguely remember them as well, but they were out of my reach in those days. I still have my first fibreglass beach rod, also with a Fuji seat, only a cheapo bought in the mid 70's. I assume this is a fibreglass blank too, would it be worth going the full 9 yards and doing a full restoration to original, or just a rub down, re-ring & varnish with a bit of shrink wrap to finish off?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not the best person here to talk about restorations as I am forever planning them and not getting around to it but I would have a go at getting this one back to originalish condition and keep the original grips; but that's just me.
OK I'll have a look on the rod builders section, do you know if it's fibreglass or not? I rather suspect it is.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yes, tubular glass fibre.

There are keen restorers here on the VTFC section - Third Earl, Richie, Hunters Moon to name but three.
Thanks mate, I'll have a look....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts