World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering purchasing a boat this year so getting quotes for moorings. I know Brighton isn't the cheapest, but not bad for <20ft, and i like its accessibility - no locks like shoreham and good facilities.

I guess I'm looking for people mooring at Brighton or nearby to get there thoughts or options on other places. Cheers.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
IMHO
Pros and cons... vs EB and Newhaven (NN) as Im not familiar with shoreham.

Pro's
No locks, no river, easy access (vs locks at EB and river at NN)
Good, varied fishing - south, east and west (similar to EB and NN, EB perhaps slightly better on balance)
Good, close facilities (EB a close 2nd vs little at NN)
Allow refuelling from containers (EB does not as closed harbour, NN does)
Access at all tides for almost all moorings (vs largely restrictive at NN and full access at EB)
Lots of parking, sufficient loading bays.
Close to town
And for me its the most accessible and closest.

Con's
No slip for small boats (neither does EB, but NN has 2)
Expensive lift outs (premier marinas)
Frustrating and sometimes disorganised marina admin (premier marinas?)
Poor chandlery, and closed sundays (Simpsons at NN is pretty good, cant comment on EB)

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Considering purchasing a boat this year so getting quotes for moorings. I know Brighton isn't the cheapest, but not bad for <20ft, and i like its accessibility - no locks like shoreham and good facilities.

I guess I'm looking for people mooring at Brighton or nearby to get there thoughts or options on other places. Cheers.
Good luck.......what you need is a colvic fisher 20 wink wink, as in avatar.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Pretty much as Ken said. Brighton Marina has lots going for it. Good tackle shop within a couple of minutes walk. Decent security. Modern facilities, showers, toilets etc. There isn't a great deal of difference in the price between most of the marinas along the south coast. A couple of hundred quid between the best and the worst. It can be a bit tricky if there is any wind in a SE direction as you get a lot of bounce back from the marina walls, but anything with north in it and you will be able to get out under the cliffs. Some of the moorings have been drying out on the bigger tides, which is a pain, but they do have plans to dredge and rectify that. Fishing wise, it's on a par with Newhaven and Shoreham.. Littlehampton probably offers more variety, but restrictive access due to the bar at the river entrance.

PM me if you need details and I will give you the full rundown.

Raider.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.