World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Looking for advice on gear and locations for wrasse fishing. I'm a beginner to sea fishing, plenty of canals and ponds fished in as a kid though.
I'd be fishing at Macduff/Banff/Gardenstown.

Many thanks!

Registered
Lots of info/catch reports on here about wrasse fishing already so I'd recommend having a look through older forum posts. Wrasse love the 'snaggy' rough ground and hide in amongst the kelp and boulders/rock. When targeting them, there's usually two methods - either ledger or float. Some people lure fish for them but for now I'd stick to those methods.
Ledgering a bait on the bottom can be easier to tempt the wrasse into feeding as it is in amongst where they are comfortable hunting, however the risk of snagging and losing lots of tackle is much higher. Therefore really simple traces are the best option, with a 3 way swivel, the top attaching to mainline, the middle attaching a hook snood and a small weight attached to the bottom - you really don't need to cast very far and I've had some decent wrasse just beneath my feet off of rocks.
Floatfishing is the other method and for someone who's relatively new to sea fishing I would recommend this over ledgering. It consists of making up a simple float trace which usually has easy instructions on the packet (failing that online) and then a stop knot which you can adjust by sliding it up and down the line. You want to adjust the knot to a depth where it's close to the bottom or structure as this will be where the wrasse are - a float fished bait in midwater is very unlikely to yield successful results.
Wrasse can be found on any fairly rough/broken ground but imo especially love gullies, ledges and pinnacles. I'd look to target these on a flooding tide where the wrasse will be moving into the tidal zone to feed. Depth isn't too much of an issue if there is ample cover and I'd target anything over 2 metres depth - have had them in much shallower as well though so isn't a necessity.
For baits the most commonly used is ragworm which works best if fishing for numbers of wrasse. Other baits include limpets which are usually nearby on the rocks along with mussels and live prawns. IMO the best bait for a better stamp of fish is a small hardback crab.
Gear you should use a rod with a bit of backbone as they head straight for cover in the snags once they feel the resistance of the line and this will need a bit of power in the rod to deal with - especially from a larger wrasse.
Goodluck on targeting wrasse, and welcome to the forum.

Al

1 - 4 of 4 Posts