World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys went out monday night. Good sea running, big tides. Had frozen lug, squid and mackeral, used in combinations and large and small portions. Blanked.
Rapidly coming to the conclusion that I am maybe wasting my time winter fishing here.
Maybe instead of trying to get out every week I should save the brownie points and go further afield every fortnight/monthly.
Anyone from my neck of the woods having better luck.
I normally fish the coast between nairn and spey bay and up onto the black isle.
cheers Leo.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Guys went out monday night. Good sea running, big tides. Had frozen lug, squid and mackeral, used in combinations and large and small portions. Blanked.
Rapidly coming to the conclusion that I am maybe wasting my time winter fishing here.
Maybe instead of trying to get out every week I should save the brownie points and go further afield every fortnight/monthly.
Anyone from my neck of the woods having better luck.
I normally fish the coast between nairn and spey bay and up onto the black isle.
cheers Leo.
You have a P.M :thumbs:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ive fished the old harbour at buckpool a couple times in the last few weeks and had a 3lb and 2lb codling, also plenty coalies to keep ya occupied. Not the best fishing but the fish are still there. Was using rag the first day and mackeral and squid the next. Like i said not the biggest but good enough for the pan :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Highland , ive tried everywhere from the kessock bridge to portsoy swimming pool and up as far as ullapool and nothing worth the effort that i have put in .
If you manage to strike it rich mate then please for the sake of my rod and reel gees a shout lol lol , seriously tho i have put in the hours and spent the pennies and the best ive had was a 3lb sea trout

·
Registered
43 Posts
There's got to be places in the Moray Firth that fish well in the winter with cod as the main target. Like I've said before, you need a few anglers fishing the same venue and see how you get on. I fished Kishorn(West coast) in December last year and picked up small codling and pollack up to 3lb so surely there's some activity on the East coast ? Hundreds of miles of virgin shoreline in the Moray Firth and no fish in the winter ? Must be something out there ! I've always wanted to try West of Nairn pier after a storm to see if it produces anything. 1st opportunity and I'll be there. Has anyone fished the place they call the "Gut" in wintertime ? I've never fished it but checked it out on google maps and it looks like a good holding place for fish.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I tried off portsoy harbour a few years ago but didnt have any luck. was a big sea running so was a good night for it. there was a guy there that said his mate had a couple of 7/8lbers the week before. I lost almost every rig that night. really snaggy so the ground seems to suit cod too. I would think the rocks inbetween portsoy and sandend would throw up cod in winter but with such ggod grounds on my doorstep its not somewhere I would go out of my way to try. You never know, could end up finding a decent mark

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys just back from my weekly fix. Went to spey bay, good surf running, pretty breezy and a couple of nice icy showers to test the thermals and waterproofs! Used whole squid on pennel rig - that was untouched and tried lug and rag on the other rod. In the end I got 5 small flounders all on lugworm. Cheers Leo.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Be carefull !!! Forget planning to fish the Sutors of Cromarty on the opposite side to Invergordon. I was looking for fishing marks there years ago and it's impossible to get access to the shore. Over a 100ft drops from the cliff edges.
xt couple of weeks.

There are a few bits you can get to but you need to watch the tides. You can also get down at the McFarquars bed side of the Sutors - I'm planning on giving it a go in the next couple of weeks. I've not tried it over winter but there must be some fish.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.