World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not working today so decided to have an all nigh secession.first mark up torness way produced 3codling 6lb 4 lb and 1.5lb..left there about 11.30 and went back to the mark I got the fish last report and got 12 more 5 before high water then it went quiet at slack and then I had 7 one after another on the ebb.they were hitting the baits hard all being gut hooked and not much in there stomachs when gutted.various cocktails of squid,mackerel and cart was the bait used .never ever seen a fishing like that and probably never will again but it was good at the time.out of the 12 was [email protected],[email protected],[email protected] and the rest between 3and 1.5lb for approximately 52 lb total
cheers Kevin
Cuisine Ingredient Fish Wood Staple food

·
Registered
998 Posts
Nice going, it's definitely looking a lot better this winter than it has for a while,lets hope it keeps up ! You look after you fish well, thats nice to see, i hate seeing a pile of fish that have been in a bag until rigor sets in and they are a twisted mess. If i hadn't read your post before seeing the pics i would have said all those fish came off the same mark within about 6 hours given their colour and condition, clear eyes etc.
SD

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice going, it's definitely looking a lot better this winter than it has for a while,lets hope it keeps up ! You look after you fish well, thats nice to see, i hate seeing a pile of fish that have been in a bag until rigor sets in and they are a twisted mess. If i hadn't read your post before seeing the pics i would have said all those fish came off the same mark within about 6 hours given their colour and condition, clear eyes etc.
SD
Your correct SD this is the best start to a winter’s fishing I’ve had and good sized fish amongst them.don’t know where they are coming from as the local angling boats have mainly been catching small codling this season.I gut the fish asap and never bag them till finished,nothing worse than mushy fish to fillet
Kevin

·
Registered
998 Posts
Your correct SD this is the best start to a winter’s fishing I’ve had and good sized fish amongst them.don’t know where they are coming from as the local angling boats have mainly been catching small codling this season.I gut the fish asap and never bag them till finished,nothing worse than mushy fish to fillet
Kevin
That's usually the case over here, if the boats have a poor summer the winter fishing on the coast is usually good. I think the huge amount of herring we had for a short period in the Forth has kept them off the inshore ground bottom feeding. We had the whales a few years on the trot for weeks at a time and those things need tonnes of food per day.

High percentage of the cod we did get over that time period had gannet scars on them suggesting they had been well up in the water, fish as big as 9lb plus, easy to see where the greedy as a gannet saying came from !

Last two years seen a big drop in forth herring, recruitment last year was as low as i've seen it just from general observation along the coast though sandeel seems to have been better than for a long time. None of that might have anything to do with them reappearing in better numbers this year, just some thoughts i have on it. Nice to see someone looking after their fish like that, will be top quality meals for a few folk there. Hope your season keeps going like that, great start.
SD

1 - 11 of 11 Posts