World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm off in the morning for a full days :fishing1:. I'm going for low tide which is pretty deep for the mark, 4'7" in my language:wheelchai. Ithought I'd try some float fishing at low because of the depth. I made a bottom hook rig this morning, starting from the hook upwards. 5/0 Aberdeen-coloured beads, with a small spoon as an attractor-18" hook line to a swivel-15lb line. Tied to the other end of the swivel, a 50lb rig body which I put a crimp,bead, weight, (which came with the cigar float), another bead, crimp them a weight clip. (tying to save time for tomorrow).

When I get to the beach I intend to slide a bead (loose) onto the main line with a stop knot above it, slide on the float, another bead (loose below the float and then another weight clip at the end of the main line, to clip to the clip at the top of the hook/weight rig.

This way I feel I can adjust the depth of the float at any time. As a bait I'm thinking of a lug/baby sqid cocktail.

Does this sound sensible:help: Cheers lads?

·
Registered
111 Posts
How long is the 50lb? or is that your main line? If not, needs to be, IMO, at least 15' - possibly nearer 20-25' to allow for plenty of adjustment. doesn't want to be shorter as the float may hang up on the knot joining rig and mainline.

To be honest, when I go floating, I put a stop knot on my main line, slide on a bead, the float, a drilled bullet weight and another bead, tie on a swivel and then the hook length. No need for any "leader" as there is not much weight to cast.

I don't tend to bother with beads and blades and sequens (although I have often considered them).

My only other concern is the hook size - what are you targeting that you expect to catch on a 5/0? Max size for shore float fishing for me is a 2/0, with me occasionally often using a 1/0 but generally plumping for a 1 or 2.

·
Registered
829 Posts
as he said but i use a carp rod or try as i do a tench float rod 7lb double strenth line and normal floats its unbelivable heart stoping style fishing espesally if you hook a mackrell or a wrass of the pier in deep water:fishing::wacko: O you will need a drop net as i use one :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I'm the same as Cmdr Bond as well, except if I'm feeling fancy I'll put stopknots either side of the weight as well, my hooklengths tend to be between 6"and 18"

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi lads

Thanks for the advice. My main line is 40lb, I make up my rig bodies from some spare 50lb line I have. I'll down size my hooks now, wasn't sure what size to use anyway. I wasn't targeting any particular specie anything will do.

Never used a drop net! seen them advertised. being new to beach fishing I'd be interested to know how to use them and where, are they to catch live bait? what would you catch? Thanks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If your mainline is 40lb, I am presuming braid, then there is no need for the 50lb unless you want the weight and float separated to help avoid tangles - as per the post in the other thread (quoted below)

To stop the hook coming back and tangling above the float, rig it like this.

Personally, I would just use a second stop knot rather than the swivel.

Eleastic bands are nice and cheap, as is electrical tubing. Otherwise you can use ready made float stops, power gum or beads.

Use the power gum like an elastic band - just tie in place.

Float stops come on a wire "thing" similar to a needle threader - the process for putting the stops on the line is similar to using a needle threader.

With beads or electrical tubing just feed the line through twice so the weight on the line tightens around the bead/tubing, holding it in place.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i do a lot of float fishing m8 and iv b4 put two booms as well as ur hook at the bottom use macrel or blues and elastic ur bait on its superb

1 - 8 of 8 Posts