World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone, i know i have asked this question before, more than once, but can anyone figure out what im doing wrong when trying to pump lug at greatstone/littlestone. its not that im not getting any but just that i seem to be going backwards in my progress. the first time i tried pumping lug with my matchmans pump was last winter when i managed to pump 70+ lug at my first attempt which i was told was pretty good. since then i have only managed about 60 at best which was a few weeks ago on the very high tides we had then. i have just got back from greatstone with only 40 lug for my efforts in three hours pumping. the thing is that im getting lots of tails and sometimes just guts coming up which isnt good i know but i have tried everything ive been advised which includes slacking off the pumps pressure and trying different depths that i push the pump in but cant get any consistency. ive tried going into the hole at an angle but have not yet had a single worm this way. i normally go straight down the cast between 2 and 6 inches and push the pump at the same time as pulling the handle and have been lubricating with wd40. i can sometimes go 20 minutes without a single worm then might get 4 or 5 in ten pumps. whats going on there? i have never expected to get good at this quickly but i also didnt expect to get worse as i went on either. because i cant find any consistency in my pumping, i also cant figure out what im doing wrong. can anyone help. im even willing to pay someone for a lesson if anyone is interested as its going to cost me a few quid for a syrup otherwise. cheers people!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Alright matey, im no expert, but talking to my bait digger the other day(he is an expert) hes just going at the lifeboat station and at camber at the moment. Apparently its not that great this time of the year down that end? Sorry cant be any more help than that. JJ

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Hi Terry, it has a lot to do with the weather at the mo, worms are 'spiralling' making it a lot harder to pump, my best pro digger/pumper's best hit in the last two weeks has only been about 7 score a tide, so dont feel bad about it, as summer progresses into autumn, the weather will get back into its predominantly S/W prevailing conditions, the worm will 'straighten up' and You will find it easier, cheers, mick.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I had a go at pumping last week, I had 70 the first day, 60 the 2nd, 30 the 3rd and 2 the last day. I could feel the ground had changed with the weather conditions and the worms were casting less and less each day. Spoke with a pro the other week who said it was hard going because the worms were inconsistant in the angle and depth they are burrowing:secret:

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Hi Terry, it has a lot to do with the weather at the mo, worms are 'spiralling' making it a lot harder to pump, my best pro digger/pumper's best hit in the last two weeks has only been about 7 score a tide, so dont feel bad about it, as summer progresses into autumn, the weather will get back into its predominantly S/W prevailing conditions, the worm will 'straighten up' and You will find it easier, cheers, mick.
matchman ,is that a d/e deltic.???...i used to love watching the battle of britain an navy class engines leaving london as a kid,but the golden arrow was my fav !!! memories eh ???.......terry ,i can only say as a trad pumper with the older ..! much older alvey type of bait pump that barometric pressure has a drastic effect on the numbers of big blacks/yellows that show on a given day....sometimes i might get 5 in 5 goes ,other times nothing in any many efforts.....!!!..having said that west sussex lug other than blow of course are seasonal and hardly ever show in summer !!!......u kent boys have it away with big lug !!!!.....having said that some of the norfolk blow lug esp at places like holme r bigger than blacks !!!!........better bait collecting as the onset of autumn comes along....if i can get 70 on a tide thats good for me,i take it easy an then get some more the foll day !!! i dont wanna bust a gut .....no comparison to blow lug digging when i can get a 100 in 40mins.....:victory:foxy52

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok everyone, thanks for replies. you have certainly put my mind at rest as i just could not think what i was doing wrong. ill try again bit later as i want to stock a few for the winter cod season at dungey.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
ok everyone, thanks for replies. you have certainly put my mind at rest as i just could not think what i was doing wrong. ill try again bit later as i want to stock a few for the winter cod season at dungey.
....:victory:fresh is best mate either blow or blacks....by all means get a few in an gut an freeze em but !!!,,plan yr trips an try to dig for the 2 tides prior to the day u plan to fish ?!.....thats the way i do it !!!.......:victory:.i know its not convenient for many but its the way i do it.....keeeeeeep pumping !!!!...:crazy:..foxy52...

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Hi Foxy, yes it is indeed an English Electric Deltic, 3200 throbbin' horse power, 2 engines with 18 cylinders and 36 pistons in each! Was a privalige to serve my engineering apprenticeship on them, the one in the photo is 'Alicidon',our depot at Finsbury Park was allocated 7 of them, all named after famous racehorces of yesteryear. They came into service in 1961 and were withdrawn in 1981, each covered several million miles!They got the nickname of 'Lancaster bombers' because of the low pitched droning noise they made.(have a look on youtube, for Deltic overload, awesome! Being a two stroke diesel engine and made of alluminium castings ,they had a fantastic power to weight ratio which in turn made them pretty fast, they took over from the 'Greasley' pacific steamers on the north east coastal route from Kings Cross to Edinburugh ,was lucky enough to have worked on the last of those great steamers, 'Mallard', 'Sir Nigel Greasley' and 'Union of South Africa'.Six of the 21 Deltics built are preserved , anyone interested should look up the Deltic Preservation Society on the net for info.
Living in an old railway station masters house near Folkestone ,I am lucky enough to ocassionaly see 'Clan Line','Tangmere' and a couple of other preserved Southern 'Battle of Britain 'and 'Merchant Navy' class preserved steam locos in action on the Cathedrals Express,-a couple of Weeks ago We had 'Tornado' the newly built 'Peppercorn' pacific steam loco working a special-thats some mean badboy, it came thundering through our station doing just about a ton- was in my workshop at the time and the whole bloody house shook! First time the ground has moved for me in a long time!!cheers, mick.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Forty lug isn't bad on these tides, enough for a session.

The tides this week arn't great for pumping/digging, not really low enough, we had a go monday evening and there was nowhere near the number of casts you get on the bigger tides, hardly worth the trip.

I managed to get enough for fishing, even though my pump wasn't running well, all sorted now thanks to a replacement part, nice and smooth again.

On technique, I'm no expert but I only push the pump down and pull the handle to get the correct depth, then just pull the handle. Of course there's many different ways to pull the handle, just experiment.

It's not as easy as you think when you start, will take years to get very very good, and despite what some youtube videos say, technique and accuracy are very important, as is a having good pump that's working at it's best. Over time you can develop a feel for it, I can often feel when I push the pump in to the burrow, you can often hear a noise and when this happens you get the worm most times. However it's very difficult to intercept the burrow every time.

As long as I get enough worms to fish with after or cover my petrol for a dedicated pumping trip I'm, happy, I prefer fresh worms anyway so only take what I'll use that day or the next.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Hi Foxy, yes it is indeed an English Electric Deltic, 3200 throbbin' horse power, 2 engines with 18 cylinders and 36 pistons in each! Was a privalige to serve my engineering apprenticeship on them, the one in the photo is 'Alicidon',our depot at Finsbury Park was allocated 7 of them, all named after famous racehorces of yesteryear. They came into service in 1961 and were withdrawn in 1981, each covered several million miles!They got the nickname of 'Lancaster bombers' because of the low pitched droning noise they made.(have a look on youtube, for Deltic overload, awesome! Being a two stroke diesel engine and made of alluminium castings ,they had a fantastic power to weight ratio which in turn made them pretty fast, they took over from the 'Greasley' pacific steamers on the north east coastal route from Kings Cross to Edinburugh ,was lucky enough to have worked on the last of those great steamers, 'Mallard', 'Sir Nigel Greasley' and 'Union of South Africa'.Six of the 21 Deltics built are preserved , anyone interested should look up the Deltic Preservation Society on the net for info.
Living in an old railway station masters house near Folkestone ,I am lucky enough to ocassionaly see 'Clan Line','Tangmere' and a couple of other preserved Southern 'Battle of Britain 'and 'Merchant Navy' class preserved steam locos in action on the Cathedrals Express,-a couple of Weeks ago We had 'Tornado' the newly built 'Peppercorn' pacific steam loco working a special-thats some mean badboy, it came thundering through our station doing just about a ton- was in my workshop at the time and the whole bloody house shook! First time the ground has moved for me in a long time!!cheers, mick.
....great infos m !!!....sir nigel gresley the 4 6 2 a4 pacifics eh ????....l .n.e.r,s finest !!!...as for the tornado was it 10 mill to build ????.....what an awesome machine........i once went on the cornish riviera express as a kid in 1959/60 to the west country from paddington !!!! thats a`memory !!!!....foxy52,...

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
The way i pump lug is to go into the sand between 3 n 6 inches away from the cast then push the pump in about 2 or 3 inches at about a 30 degree angle then pump, if no success after 2 pumps i leave it alone n go to the next, i rarely get less than 100 but maybe i'm lucky!

Keep trying m8, u'll find out how it works..................eventually.............or go with shirl, he gets loads so if ur bigger than him, rob him, if not, watch n learn!

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
The way i pump lug is to go into the sand between 3 n 6 inches away from the cast then push the pump in about 2 or 3 inches at about a 30 degree angle then pump, if no success after 2 pumps i leave it alone n go to the next, i rarely get less than 100 but maybe i'm lucky!

Keep trying m8, u'll find out how it works..................eventually.............or go with shirl, he gets loads so if ur bigger than him, rob him, if not, watch n learn!
....nice tech lee, !.but u prob have arms like a gorilla being a brickie..!!!.c,mon u spurs !!..ps ...join the wsf fantasy footie team ??!!i,m 10th out of 150 i guess ,..si is 11th !!! hope he reads this.??!!.:fishing1:..tite lines foxy52...

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
....nice tech lee, !.but u prob have arms like a gorilla being a brickie..!!!.c,mon u spurs !!..ps ...join the wsf fantasy footie team ??!!i,m 10th out of 150 i guess ,..si is 11th !!! hope he reads this.??!!.:fishing1:..tite lines foxy52...
i have arms like a stick insect on steroids foxy...................anyway, so far so good, one nil to the mighty whites, C'MMMMMMONNNNNN UUUUUUUUUUUU SPURS!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Didnt the engines used in Deltic originate from a boat engine Mick, seem to recall that, also you mentioning Frindsbury park I born just down the road in Holloway and I can remember watching the trains around there (no TVs in them days)

·
Global Moderator
7,083 Posts
.............or go with shirl, he gets loads so if ur bigger than him, rob him, if not, watch n learn!
Shirls secret is work rate....never hits the same hole again and probably hits 20 casts a minute when on a decent bed...head down and pump pump pump. The more casts you hit the luckier you get!

Also, if you aren't hitting the worms move 10 yards and start again. When you get a few worms work that area hard.

Also...as matchman said, pumping at this time of year is notoriously difficult and I certainly don't begrudge a few £££ to the tackle shop or digger now or in the winter when the weather is pants.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Shirls secret is work rate....never hits the same hole again and probably hits 20 casts a minute when on a decent bed...head down and pump pump pump. The more casts you hit the luckier you get!

Also, if you aren't hitting the worms move 10 yards and start again. When you get a few worms work that area hard.

Also...as matchman said, pumping at this time of year is notoriously difficult and I certainly don't begrudge a few £££ to the tackle shop or digger now or in the winter when the weather is pants.
He's a chippy so dont do work!!!!

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Hi Seapray, Yes indeed, the Napier Deltic engine was original made for fast patrol craft, the RAF still has a few air sea rescue boats fitted with them, originaly they were to be fitted to heavy bombers, they were a further developement from the Dornier bomber diesel engines!
Holloway Road eh, nice an andy for the Gunners !!!! COME ON YOU REDDDDDS!!!!

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Hi Seapray, Yes indeed, the Napier Deltic engine was original made for fast patrol craft, the RAF still has a few air sea rescue boats fitted with them, originaly they were to be fitted to heavy bombers, they were a further developement from the Dornier bomber diesel engines!
Holloway Road eh, nice an andy for the Gunners !!!! COME ON YOU REDDDDDS!!!!
....matchman, we were warming to u until brickie and i found out u were a closet gooner lol !!!!...while we are on a nostalgia trip do u remember the atl98 carvairs that used to fly in and out of manston and lydd in the mid 60,s ??...converted douglas dc4,s or 6,s ?i cant rememer for sure !!!....mostly taking the works mini coopers s,s backwards and forwards to continental europe winning all the intl rallies etc etc...along with british tourists wishing to take their cars abroad for their hols ?????..what a brill idea they were and it was still rel cheap to fly !!!!...trains planes and automobiles. eh ???..we had the best in the world then.....the codding was pretty good to !!!!....dungeness was beginning to become famous.....spurs were still the only and first side to win the double and also the first to win a euro trophy.....hopefully this seasons start bodes well........thats real club history eh ??!!!!......:fishing:.tite lines foxy52....

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Do I remember the Carvairs that flew from Lydd and Manston ( You are forgetting Lympne as well Foxy)!!
My Dad (Pat Sullivan)(ex BOAC) was a senior airframe and engine fitter for Silver City at Lydd, that operated the Carvairs, and of course not forgetting the Bristol Freighters and Super Freighters, they also had a couple of Dacks (DC3's) as well. I spent half my early years from 4 to 11 either being taken up in the air with them on test flight's as 'ballast', running round the hangers, helping the old boy polish valves and pistons,( the Bristols had sodium filled valves that would only run properly on very high octane aviaton spirit-the lads used to nick it to run their bsa and nortons- but only after replacing their own valves for S/F's first,otherwise the ensuing mechanical disaster would warrant the engine 'unservicable'!) fishing in the airport ponds, radar lakes or generaly having fun on the shingle in the Bermuda triangle (Dungy point-Ferryfield airport and Maddisons camp on the coast drive!.
That of course include many thousands of hours, fishing, bait digging, lay line laying, boating ,swimming and every other waterborne activity around the coast from St Marys bay to Camber, that was possible to do between breakfast and suppertime! Rupert the bear had nothing on us mate!
Remember seeing a lot of film stars and half the R+R bands coming through Lydd Airport at one time or another and the cars-some beauties like You say.Robert McCullam had a holiday home down Queens Road in Littlestone, and Eddie White the great train robber was caught living in Clovelly house at the top end of Queens road.
Very, very, extremely very happy days.
Sorry about the Gooner thing Foxxy ,but you know what they say in Norf Landan mate- 'You can be a Spurs fan all your life but you will only have half lived it' !! or put it another way-Red till i'm dead!!Cheers now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts