World Sea Fishing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had another session near the Beachcomber at Seaford last night. Got there at about 7.30pm while still light and parked about 50 yards East of the of the pub and hopped out onto the beach to have a peek and see if the dreaded weed was lurking. At first glimpse, I couldn't see any weed but I did see what I thought was a string of net markers only about 10 yards from the shoreline. It wasn't until I got closer and had a good look, that I could see they were Gulls - strangely all equidistant and in a perfect line and parallel with the shore, it was so weird. Anyway, I'm off to Specsavers tomorrow so as not to be so easily fooled next time.

Having seen that there were no signs of weed, I set up one rod with a legered DVice, size 2 hook baited with lugworm and chucked this out while I set about setting up the Bass rod in preparation for darkness. Having got everything sorted and had a coffee, I tended to the worm rod, to find it rattling away. On bringing it in, I saw an obvious small flatfish coming in that I first thought was a Dab but having taken hold of it and turned it 'colour side up' I saw that it was a small Plaice. Unhooked and put back, baited up and re-cast. The next two fish were Whiting which although not 'pin', they weren't exactly 'jumbo' either.

As darkness fell, the bites had dried up with not one bit of interest shown except by large balls of the 'Spaghetti weed' we've been plagued with. Anyway, I decided it was time to deploy the Bass rod in ernest. I put the worm rod to one side, baited up the 4/0 pennel rig with a whole squid and lobbed it out into what was not so much a nice surf but a gentle tumble of wavelets. First hit was a small Bass which threw the hook at the waters edge. Next was another Bass of about 1½lbs. which was quite a spirited little blighter.

It all went a bit quiet after that until about 2 hours before high water when there was a brief period of activity with a Bass a chuck, the biggest going about 2½lbs but they were all on largish Ammo Launce which they hit really hard. One of the fish had a distinct deformity of the lower jaw and lip which made it look like Victoria Beckham at a photo opp, its mouth could hardly open and it was a hell of a job to get the hook out (how a 4/0 got in there in the first place is a mystery). Hook removed and 'Posh' was returned to pout another day.

I was full of expectation for the 'Golden hour' after high water but it was not to be. After the earlier flurry of activity, it went to bugger all there was nothing to add to the tally. As I packed up, I reflected that it hadn't been too bad really - total of 8 Bass, 2 Whiting, 1 Plaice. Now, I know the Bass weren't huge - not even big but it was good fun and its better than a blankety blank. I think I may give the Launce another try on the next trip and see if I get similar results. I was surprised that only two were taken on squid but it could just be coincidence that at the time I changed over to Launce, the fish came on at the same time and that if I'd carried on with the squid, I would still have caught anyway... who knows.

First pic is one of the Bass (they all look alike at that age) and the second is 'Posh'

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Top notch report, well done on catching all those bass!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Nice fishing again and detailed report.
Im off out later but havent decided where yet.
Watch this space for a report soon.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers guys and that was my last week time evening session for quite a while now as I'm starting a new part time job tonight :victory: and means I'll be working until 10pm at the earliest each night.:unsure: Ah well means more dosh for gear I s'pose.

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
10:30 pm is a very good time to be starting a session this time of year...... ;)
Excellent fishing Vic. I think that confirms I will be out on the open beach tonight. Not so much as a take the last couple of nights on the rough....!!

G

·
10:30 pm is a very good time to be starting a session this time of year...... ;)
Excellent fishing Vic. I think that confirms I will be out on the open beach tonight. Not so much as a take the last couple of nights on the rough....!!
you never know you may even double shot 2lb codlings!:laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Well done that man.Nice report and not affraid to say where abouts as well.:)

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
you never know you may even double shot 2lb codlings!:laugh::laugh:
firstly well done vicfisher,outstanding results,im dropping more fish than im landing lately,secondly,
i have been off here for a week or so,but i hear of some doubt as to the capture of two small codling by my dad on the marina east arm on friday night,trust me he caught them,ok they were small at 2lb odd but they were there,1,why photograph two small codling?
2.who cares,its not like saying a ten pound bass?
3,so what two small codling dont make a run,and any angler worth his salt would know that they always show up on big tides in september,in ones and twos.some so called anglers on here really do see the glass half empty dont they its laughable, so thats what im doing:laugh::laugh::laugh:pathetic,if they spent as much time fishing as they did moaning they might come across them

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
firstly well done vicfisher,outstanding results,im dropping more fish than im landing lately,secondly,
i have been off here for a week or so,but i hear of some doubt as to the capture of two small codling by my dad on the marina east arm on friday night,trust me he caught them,ok they were small at 2lb odd but they were there,1,why photograph two small codling?
2.who cares,its not like saying a ten pound bass?
3,so what two small codling dont make a run,and any angler worth his salt would know that they always show up on big tides in september,in ones and twos.some so called anglers on here really do see the glass half empty dont they its laughable, so thats what im doing:laugh::laugh::laugh:pathetic,if they spent as much time fishing as they did moaning they might come across them

I think its just Puddles acid posting style Craig. My fault, for mentioning your fish. But the only reason that I mentioned them is because it really happened. And I think anyone that follows my posts will recognise that they did happen. That night those same stamp of fish were caught from Langney, Seaford, Marina and Shoreham arms.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I think its just Puddles acid posting style Craig. My fault, for mentioning your fish. But the only reason that I mentioned them is because it really happened. And I think anyone that follows my posts will recognise that they did happen. That night those same stamp of fish were caught from Langney, Seaford, Marina and Shoreham arms.
trying to get aprb66 to post pics to shut up the nay sayers its pathetic,two codling ,JEEEBUS:victory::victory:

G

·
trying to get aprb66 to post pics to shut up the nay sayers its pathetic,two codling ,JEEEBUS:victory::victory:[/QUOTE

good morning,
sorry to hear you feel upset by my statement!
but when someone reports that someone else is double shotting 2lb
codling which are getting in the way of bass fishing,i think i can speek
for most people in saying that we were looking forward to the report!

i'm sure you did have codling,but i also think that it was blown out of
preportion....i must add that this was not done by you but someone
else....
well done to you all for catching some nice fish....

all the best puddle man....

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
good morning,
sorry to hear you feel upset by my statement!
but when someone reports that someone else is double shotting 2lb
codling which are getting in the way of bass fishing,i think i can speek
for most people in saying that we were looking forward to the report!

i'm sure you did have codling,but i also think that it was blown out of
preportion....i must add that this was not done by you but someone
else....
well done to you all for catching some nice fish....

all the best puddle man....
Removed ........................................

·
She Pirate and Global Moderator
12,623 Posts
Try to keep on Topic Guy's. any disputes please use the PM system...

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Looks like a codling to me....!! I can see the confusion, as I did report a double shot of codling. But cause and effect, it was an honest mistake. Lesson learned, I will stick to reporting my own fish, but with the text being a live report, the thread having swung to codling, I posted with the only intention of keeping people up to date with the fishing. Unlike some people, who have been practicing very hard for a match at the weekend, but for some reason prefer to post b****cks than whats happening out there.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.