World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to go early morning tomo, to fish the high tide. It's about 12.4 down Penarth think the ranny will be may be out of action.
Any suggestions of another venue?
Thanks JD

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm listening in to this thread - :) Just got back home from london a month ago back to south wales for good after 13 years without fishing - have spent the last few weekends trying to figure out where to go - I'm in Llantwit Major at the mo' so ive been down Llantwit beach itself, southerndown a few times and off the rocks at Ogmore last week - only caught one whiting to date, (was kinda embarressed to join the fisherman on the better flat rocks near Ogmore since it was 13 years since Ive been fishing - and my casting is a bit rough to say the least).

Definatley want to go tomorrow am, may pop down the Tackle place in Barry this PM to get some squid etc.

Used to fish of the bottom floor of the carpark in Penarth late at night - used to catch a few coddling there - I see the carparks gone now :) - Blimey a lots happened down here in the last 13-14 years. Dont even recognise cardiff what with the marina an all....

Happy fishing all who venture out tomorrow....

Red.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
J.D. Have you considered fishing St Brides (The Lighthouse) at Newport, not far from Cardiff & ideal to fish the last 2.5 up & first 2 back, easier access than Rover Way & the foreshore, & not as mucky as Redwick. :D
Then you can tell us how you got on, & we can all either go or stay away depending on your report :lol:

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I get off at the Tredegar Park exit of the M4 & follow the old Cardiff Rd as far as the Ebbw Bridge, then turn right for Goldcliff, follow the road down to the lighthouse. If you go to www.multimap.co.uk & highlight the Tredegar Park, Maesglas area of Newport, it may show you a shorter route in from the old Cardiff Rd coming the other way. ;)
Bait has always been rag or lug with squid for the cocktail for cod, but the whiting seem to prefer fish bait, herring or sprat lumps, I know a guy who swears by whiting tail as the No1 bait, & he certainly catches with it, :angry: he scrounges some worms off me to catch a small whiting, then he has a constant supply, when it gets chewed up he cuts the tail off his smallest "keeper". :D
I have never tried it, I prefer to waste my money on lug, rag, squid, & herring!
I am going to look at multimap as well, I may be able to cut 20mins off my journey! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
welcome to the site red. jd theres nothing wrong with the forewshore at the moment, it does tend 2 get packed weekends thow.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Sorry JD its signed for St Brides not Goldcliff (thats the Redwick side you fool)! From the M4 exit at J28 then take the A4042 towards Newport (Maesglas) only a couple of hundred yards then turn right onto the B4239 to St Brides.
In fact if you are coming from Cardiff you can get onto the B4239 coast road at Rumney, it takes you through Peterstone, Wentloog, to St Brides, have a look for "likely" spots along the way, the Eastern Valleys Outfall used to be a real competition hotspot but I dont know if you can still get to it, ( if I cant drive to it I dont go) Tight Lines

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks blueskip,
looks like i'm gunna give it a go, so thanks for the advice.
will give the foreshore a go next thanks poacher, feel like a new venue/challenge!
Anyone else up for an early fish?, my m8's just let me down!
JD

·
Registered
737 Posts
going sunday night your welcome to tag along ,fished friday, night three of us had coddling whiting and conger, guy a bit further up had a coulple of coddling.had a phone call and had to bloody go just as the best of the fishing started .ALWAYS REMEMBER TO SWITCH YOUR BLOODY MOBILE OF WHEN FISHING.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts