World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Morrisons and had a glance at the fish, first time I have seen a Baramundi on the counter even if it was only tiny at 1 kilo.

There in a plastic packet covered in clingfilm was a bass, head on, guts removed, total weight.

0.23 KILO

that is 8 ounces.

Seen sardines bigger.

G

·
Maybe there should be a minimum size for even Farmed fish. That is such a waste and would no doubt get thrown. Who would buy one that small?

·
Severn Area Rescue
12,366 Posts
i had a look at the baramundi at our local morrisons it looked prety good anybody tasted t?

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I know what you mean the bass for sale in supermarkets are only schoolie sized. Surely it would make more sense to grow them bigger as these little fish will have alot of small fidly bones. Why do they call them 'sea bass' as well, it annoys me as i think it is just a marketing ploy to make them sound more appealing and perhaps even expensive.

·
Severn Area Rescue
12,366 Posts
I know what you mean the bass for sale in supermarkets are only schoolie sized. Surely it would make more sense to grow them bigger as these little fish will have alot of small fidly bones. Why do they call them 'sea bass' as well, it annoys me as i think it is just a marketing ploy to make them sound more appealing and perhaps even expensive.

yeah the sea bass in big letters and the farmed in little letters

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you were to take a fillet of it I doubt there could be more than 2 ounces of fish on either fillet. I wonder if it was a farmed fish? I don't think a fish farm would maket such small fish, and if they did I doubt they would be in business long

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
If you were to take a fillet of it I doubt there could be more than 2 ounces of fish on either fillet. I wonder if it was a farmed fish? I don't think a fish farm would maket such small fish, and if they did I doubt they would be in business long
i think they would !!! in and out quick! i don't think they grow em big because the same issues which effect trout farming, are encountered with bass, they feed em hi protein foods which basically screw up their livers etc way before time,

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Took a photo of a Baramundi in my local Morrisons the same time that I returned some langustines that were well off. "Do you want a refund?"...bloody right I did.

Will post the picture in the next day or so - see what you all reckon!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Talking of the "Real" Sea Bass vs the "Farmed" variety. We had a discussion down my local about the difference. I brought in one I caught at Exmouth and we compared it to 2 bought ones. As the pub is quite food orientated. The chef agreed to prepare both. I would like to add here that this was a taste test. None of the fish was sold to customers.

The real one came across as more darker in colour, but only slightly. Chef said it was firmer and cooked easier. We put this down to being fresher and bigger (Well over the size limit). The farmed was lots of bones due to size and slightly bland in taste. Needed help with a decent sauce. The real one "Stood on it's own". Chef speak for no sauce needed.

I made the comment that I cannot sell Bass as it would break the law on commercial fishing. Needless to say. I mention going fishing and I gain quite a few "friends" that evening.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts