World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not saying it's a top bait but just to say I got a 2lb pollock not long ago and due to a **** up on the bait front was using the above mentioned frozen bait.....I admit he coughed it up as soon as he was out of the water but goes to show anything seems to work if you are in the right place at the right time :fishing:

Last couple of sessions have had fresh live rag worms and nothing landed to shout about...I'm off to Morrisons again i think :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
LOL. I've caught codling on bread paste fried onto the hook in some sausage fat that was left in thepan from breakfast. I'd not exactly recommend it, tbh wouldn't even try it again, unless I was that desperate again. What part of the mix was it that you caught the pollock on? The mussel? Shrimp? Squid rings?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL...I'll have to try that one. It was Squid ring tipped with mussel....perhaps Mike should do a twist on the species hunt and have a fun comp of "catch on the strangest bait"!!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Ah, I have heard of cooked mussel being successful on occasion for cod on the boats, cooked prawn too, though any cooked bait is usually considered inferior and people only ever use it when they can't get hold of raw bait. I never heard of cooked squid being successful but being in a cocktail confuses matters. Certainly we know that dogs enjoy and even prefer cooked meats so maybe there's an explanation there somewhere, something scientific sounding to do with proteins vs amino acids, or maybe it was just an opportunistic pollock! Hard to say if raw would have outfished the cooked when no one ever tries both side-by-side.
Yes perhaps he should, but then I still wouldn't enter, lol. A 2lb pollock would be reward enough in itself. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
hi try bag of anchovies not cooked bought at makro about 90 fish in bag about 3 quid caught flounder dogs goodfor boat and good value give them a go

1 - 5 of 5 Posts