World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

gradually getting all the bits for the boat, now i want to rplace the steering control cable, now having trawlled fleabay and othe sites i have found some bargains and and some bloody expensive cables, having took the numbers from my old cable and searched the steering box i am unable to verify if it is morse or teleflex can you help.

Red outer sleeve 4.25m long stainless rod on the end (usual shape for transome mounted OB, numbers as follows 304411 425 3683.

contacted Hindle controls who had no idea what it was and were supposed to be ringing me back today.

Regards UIA.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for that insight dave,

After zooming in on the pic ,i aint got that type of cable what i have is a braided steel cable surrounded by a coiled spring which is then coated in a couple layers of plastic.

On the control end rear of the wheel is a plastic guide into which the cable sits, so when you move the wheel the cable rides through the plastic guide.

May well visit my local chandlers with the offending item in my grubby mits, as i need some spares for the manual and auto bilge pumps.

Many thanks UIA

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Chandlers can be expensive as any boat owning angler will tell you. You will find what you want usually nuch cheaper on the net. Do a google for teleflex cables. The build of the cables you have is similar to how they are made now. Basically like motorcycle brake or clutch cables. Nowadays you can buy cables of the length needed and then specify the fitment that screws on the screwed end of the inner (as shown on that link I gave) of a pattern to fit the manuafacture of your outboard motor. (throttle/gear) and your remote control box. Not all makes have the same fitment and they do not interchange as a rule. Evinrude wont fit Tohatsu for instance, Some do interchange from make to make though. So make sure you specify the make of the engine and the year when ordering. If in doubt your chandlers might know what you need for your motor. But from my experience that isn't always the case.
If you post what make your motor is. I can point you to some links were you can buy them online if your chandler can't help.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave your a star,

evinrude 30hp, what i shall do is upload some pics tomorrow and hopefully this will help.
I will still visit the "Rob u blind " brigade as well just to verify make etc.

Regards UIA

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it IS morse control, and now the starter is up the swanny anyone have one for a 1989 30hp electric start!!!!!!!!!!!.

Cheers all

UIA

1 - 6 of 6 Posts