World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Looking to launch my Predator 165 boat for the first time out of Morston next Monday. I have a 2wd BMW 3 series so need to be a bit careful but it looks doable. Anyone got any tips for launching and getting out of Morston please? Is the retrieval ok with the tide in the channel? I have walked the channel at low tide and have got an idea of the what will be underneath me. Looks an interesting journey out into Blakeney Pit.

I am not looking for people to reveal their secret marks but any tips for fishing out on the nearby sea or launching would be great. This is my first time on my own boat so looking forward to the challenge but want to 'do it right'.

Thanks All.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting! Launching was no problem and once we had managed to navigate through the boats moored in the pit to the channel it was fine. The problem was retrieval. A 4x4 is definitely needed as we got stuck and had to be winched out! Slightly embarrassing with the seal boats coming in with all the tourists. Chipped the gelcoat in all of the stress of it and left the winch handle! Gelcoat patched and new handle arriving today.

Morston is not for the faint hearted!

·
Registered
13 Posts
At least you did it & no lasting harm done. Have been & watched but far too much willy waving & posh shouting going on. We decided to keep ours in the water at Lowestoft. May get round to that coast at some point to drown some bait.
Stick at it. We are new to boat fishing too & still have a steep learning curve.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting as we are on a waiting list for a berth at Lowestoft but intend to join Hunstanton ski club. They have 3 tractors for launching that can be self driven and marshalled launching between May and November. Will save the car getting stuck again!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds like s plan. I think Haven Marina has spaces. Good facilities too. You have to transit the bridge but loads of scheduled openings & space under it on the bigger tides.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Haven marina do look to have spaces, I keep my boat there and it is a lovely marina although I don't believe it to be the cheapest just a very convenient 5 min walk for me. Getting under the bridge isn't too much of an issue, I have a raider 18 and have managed to get under at all states of tide so far, sometimes only just and very slowly but made it with inches to spare and if not there are plenty of opening's to go through throughout the day. Having only owned a boat for a year and going out of Lowestoft for maybe 6 months it's when I get out of the harbour the interesting bit starts for me with lots of very shallow and sometimes exposed sand banks some miles out and an exceptionally strong tide I'm still trying to find and feel my way about out there especially which wind and tide combinations are safe to go out in and have a few times had the sea pick up very quickly on us making for an uncomfortable journey back. I did find this which I find helpful tho http://wavenet.cefas.co.uk/Map

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haven marina do look to have spaces, I keep my boat there and it is a lovely marina although I don't believe it to be the cheapest just a very convenient 5 min walk for me. Getting under the bridge isn't too much of an issue, I have a raider 18 and have managed to get under at all states of tide so far, sometimes only just and very slowly but made it with inches to spare and if not there are plenty of opening's to go through throughout the day. Having only owned a boat for a year and going out of Lowestoft for maybe 6 months it's when I get out of the harbour the interesting bit starts for me with lots of very shallow and sometimes exposed sand banks some miles out and an exceptionally strong tide I'm still trying to find and feel my way about out there especially which wind and tide combinations are safe to go out in and have a few times had the sea pick up very quickly on us making for an uncomfortable journey back. I did find this which I find helpful tho http://wavenet.cefas.co.uk/Map
Finally got mine moored in Lowestoft yesterday. Looking forward to actually getting out and finding some marks/tactics that work........and fish hopefully.

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad that you have gotten your boat in the water. I was out last week and the bottom seems to be carpeted with whiting at the moment and some a decent size too. Hopefully gonna get back out next week, still trying to find myself some marks out there too. Find these websites helpful tho http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalchart...rts-navigation.html#9.02/53.1163/0.7932/-18.3

http://wavenet.cefas.co.uk/Map. Good luck out there
Cheers for those sites. Use the chart one a lot but the wave one is a new one to me but really useful. Might see you on the water!

·
Registered
89 Posts
No problem, glad they might help and thanks for the navionics one, haven't seen that one before but have spent quite some time looking over the charts to avoid the shallow sandbanks and trying to find some spots worth a try. Is your boat in haven marina or one of the others? The Cefas one I find easiest to use in the graph layout showing predicted and measured wave hight although it's often rougher around the harbour mouth I find as the tide rips round there. My raider is white with a red band so hard to miss. Will keep my eye out for you out there but with the amount of whiting about you don't get a minutes rest at the moment unless I try live baiting on both rods.
Matt

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just up from Haven Marina. Small marina with about 30 boats.....and my little Predator 165 nestled amongst them. Think I saw your Rader when I did my L2. Was hoping to get out fishing next weekend but the weather doesn't look too cracking. Will keep an eye out for a good window and give it a crack. Do you head far out?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am relatively new to boat ownership and haven't much experience out there so tend to stay closer in either north to around Corton maybe 1/2 a mile out where ive had codling, smoothies, bass, whiting and dogfish or headed south to around the centre marker on this pic where we've had thornbacks and dogfish although we've not been that way since spring/ early summer. But occasionally try a new spot I've picked from the charts with various results. Just be careful to go out far enough to avoid the sandbanks if heading south, I'm sure there must be ways through them but i feel safer going around

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cheers for that. I'm same. First boat and new to it all. Yes, heard the sandbanks need carefully navigating. Sounds like you have already had a lot of success.

This is my boat, Nomad.

View media item 57719

·
Registered
89 Posts
Nice looking boat, really need to get a cover for mine while not in use as I'm pretty sure that the seagulls use it for target practice. I certainly wouldn't complain about how we've done so far but always looking for new marks with the hope of doing better but then isn't every fisherman the eternal optimist.
Mine is equity

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ah yep, was your Rader I saw. Cracking looking boat. Yep, you are right, we are all optimists! Hopefully see you out there sometime.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts