World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a Friday muse.

I had some time on my hands the other day and was thinking about whether or not to take up the "species challenge" for next year and it got me thinking "where have I caught most species from in the 3 years I've been sea fishing"?

In my case it is Trefor Pier (and before anybody starts, it's in a poor state of repair now. You go on there at your own risk). I've caught 27 species from there in 2010 and 2011 (haven't really fished it much this year). They are:

Doggie
Huss
Cod
Pollack
Coalie
Whiting
Bass
Tub Gurnard
Mackerel
Launce
Dab
Plaice
Flounder
Shanny
Tompot Blenny
Rock Goby
Long Spined bullhead (scorpion fish)
Butterfish
Sand Smelt
Sandeel
Ballan Wrasse
Corkwing Wrasse
Three Beard Rockling
Shore rockling
5 beard rockling
Pouting
Lesser Weever

I had one phenomenal bite there two Septembers ago (pulled the rod clean over the top rail), which I now realise must have been a Tope. I've also heard of rays and conger being taken there too. So it has the potential to have delivered 30 species, maybe more. Perhaps I've overlooked Rock Cooks and Goldsinnies in the past for example.

In additional, I've caught shore, brown and velvet swimmer crabs as well as Spider crab, Lobster and prawn.

Shame about the state of it these days

Can anyone think of a more prolific venue species-wise?

Cheers

Kev

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
A phenomenal list - enough for a lifetime for some folk! Well done for having noted what you catch. Presumably when there's a match fished for the number of species they never get that many so what a the numbers for one session at a particular mark. The other point would be the choice of mark for such a competition, i.e. a 'poor' mark for multiple species would produce the cleverest angler????

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
i have a fave spot down there, over the years we have had ....

dogs
huss
herring
mackerel
launce
pollock
coalfish
sea trout
smalleyed ray
spotted ray
thornback ray
plaice
dab
whiting
cod
ballan wrasse
corkwing wrasse
goldsinny wrasse
various blennies
smooth hounds
rockling
weever
scorpion fish
red gurnard
grey gurnard
bass
mullet

no..... i,m not telling.:yeah:

·
Registered
608 Posts

dogs
huss
herring
mackerel
launce
pollock
coalfish
sea trout
smalleyed ray
spotted ray
thornback ray
plaice
dab
whiting
cod
ballan wrasse
corkwing wrasse
goldsinny wrasse
various blennies
smooth hounds
rockling
weever
scorpion fish
red gurnard
grey gurnard
bass
mullet

why have you never took me there?? :sad:

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Presumably when there's a match fished for the number of species they never get that many so what a the numbers for one session at a particular mark.

The other point would be the choice of mark for such a competition, i.e. a 'poor' mark for multiple species would produce the cleverest angler????
Obviously some of the fish are seasonal Glynne, but I'm confident we've had more than 10 species in a day several times. Equally, I'm sure that there's Mullet and Gars to be caught there if they're targetted properly.

As for poor marks I'm not sure there's any such thing anymore given the advent of LRF.

why have you never took me there?? :sad:
LOL :)

·
Registered
8,194 Posts

dogs
huss
herring
mackerel
launce
pollock
coalfish
sea trout
smalleyed ray
spotted ray
thornback ray
plaice
dab
whiting
cod
ballan wrasse
corkwing wrasse
goldsinny wrasse
various blennies
smooth hounds
rockling
weever
scorpion fish
red gurnard
grey gurnard
bass
mullet

What a coincidence :eek:hmy:, that's one of my favourite spots too! :fishing:

Seriously though, Holyhead breakwater has to be up there too in terms of variety of species to be caught :thumbs:.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Holyhead and Fishguard breakwaters, Aberystwyth Stone Jetty all added good multi-species spots. How about the most species from a single venue in one session though?

About 8 years ago I fished a night tide at Tywyn beach and it was insane. I had:

Whiting
Pouting
Dogs
Codling to 3lbs
5 bearded rockling
Flounders
Dabs
Turbot to 3lbs
Bass
Small eyed rays

I can think of sessions at the above venues where I've had over ten in a day - the minis help. Tywyn doesn't produce many of those apart from the occasional scorp or lesser weever.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi, yes trevor pier for me too. Going back about 6 years but i caught all those on your list plus garfish, red gurnard, silver eel, small conger, herring, smoothound, scad, cuckoo wrasse, squid and an octapus. I used to fish the pier 4 times a week. Real shame about the state of it now.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I agree trefor pier iv had a fair few species there over my time of fishing and a nice variety of fish same as holyhead brakewater. One of them spots ur not hundred percent what your going to come away with

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I've just checked my records and I've twice had 14 species in a day from Fenit Pier in Ireland. I've had another 11 species on other days with a total of only 15 sessions fishing the pier.

Over the years the place has produce load's of other species including small-eyed and undulate rays, sting ray, common skate, monkfish, conger, mullet, turbot, bass, tope.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've just checked my records and I've twice had 14 species in a day from Fenit Pier in Ireland. I've had another 11 species on other days with a total of only 15 sessions fishing the pier.

Over the years the place has produce load's of other species including small-eyed and undulate rays, sting ray, common skate, monkfish, conger, mullet, turbot, bass, tope.
Wow! Now THAT's a species list!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.