World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading the Stevensons thread about Hake boats got me to thinking - (Hake being a deep sea fish). What is the most unusual fish caught from our SW shores either because it is a deep water or warm water species.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i caught a red band fish year before last boat fishing just off exmouth, thats about all i did catch that day if i remember correctly!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Caught a really unusual looking fish at Meva yesterday that no-one had the slightest clue what it could be.
I put my shrimp basket over the wall to see if I could entice some live bait, when I pulled it up there was a fish in it that was about 4" - 5" long, very thin with a face similar in shape to a pike, towards the tail it tapered away almost to nothing. It was gold in colour (the underside was a lighter gold), with some black spots on it.
There were loads of people fishing and almost all of them came over to have a look, but no-one had ever seen anything like it.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Caught a really unusual looking fish at Meva yesterday that no-one had the slightest clue what it could be.
I put my shrimp basket over the wall to see if I could entice some live bait, when I pulled it up there was a fish in it that was about 4" - 5" long, very thin with a face similar in shape to a pike, towards the tail it tapered away almost to nothing. It was gold in colour (the underside was a lighter gold), with some black spots on it.
There were loads of people fishing and almost all of them came over to have a look, but no-one had ever seen anything like it.
Any ideas?
Could it have been a Pipefish?

www.glaucus.org.uk/Pipefish.htm

·
Registered
109 Posts
You star Tyn :clap3:
I have just had a look at images on the net and it was deffo a pipefish.

Thanks m8

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
caught a sun fish on feathers from carnweather, lip hooked too!!
had loads of trigger fish last year there too

·
Registered
706 Posts
How about a Guinean Amberjack?:)

Caught this in 2004, the only verified rod and line capture from mainland Britain to my knowledge....

Just a shame that the BRFC don't seem interested in letting me claim a British Record for it (their species expert has not got around to formally identifying it - 2 years is obviously not long enough!) Several phone calls, letters, emails various expert opinions, press releases stating the scientific importance.... net result: nothing!! Just a word of warning to any non-NFSA member attempting to claim a record.... don't bother unless it's something simple like a cod or a doggie!:schmoll:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
How about a Guinean Amberjack?:)

Caught this in 2004, the only verified rod and line capture from mainland Britain to my knowledge....

Just a shame that the BRFC don't seem interested in letting me claim a British Record for it (their species expert has not got around to formally identifying it - 2 years is obviously not long enough!) Several phone calls, letters, emails various expert opinions, press releases stating the scientific importance.... net result: nothing!! Just a word of warning to any non-NFSA member attempting to claim a record.... don't bother unless it's something simple like a cod or a doggie!:schmoll:
look like one of them to me :blink:
bet you had a great scrap with that one

·
Registered
169 Posts
Have a look at this site:

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/aquarium/index.html

It is excellent for fish identification and has some of the strange fish that turn up from time to time.

A lot of them come from Anglers and Fishermen taking things in to the Aquariums around the south west. The small aquarium in Mevagissey helps and works with the Plymouth Marine Aquarium with some of these identifications and reports.

See the

Comber and the Boarfish!

Anything is possible I reckon!!!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Impressive looking fish RG. How big was it?
It looks kinds trevally like to me; i bet it put up a scrap??
What did you catch it on mate?

SS
It weighed 2lb 2oz. Put up a good fight, went beserk in close like a big mackerel. They grow to around 8lb apparently, normally reside in the med up as far as the portuguese coast, or over around the gulf of mexico on the other side of the atlantic.... he was a bit lost I think!

Caught it on mackerel strip ledgered on the bottom, fishing for turbot and ray at the time. It screamed off so violently against the ratchet that my 2 mates and I were all looking in the air for the bird that must of just hit my line, and i carried on spinning with another rod for a few seconds.... but there were no birds! The following trip my mate had a bite so quick that it actually birdied his Abu 6500 against the ratchet!!!

The greater variety grow to over 100lb... now that WOULD be awesome from the shore!:blink:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi ruff ground!
Ive caught a few of those fish too! But alas I was working aboard a seismic ship operating about 60miles offshore Senegal (West Africa). I will try to get some pics scanned and sent to you if you like! They looked like small blue Tuna with a yellow lateral line along them. I caught mine on mackerel feathers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts