World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Went fishing this morning in Motney Hill Rainham, up bright and early (for me anyway) bait was ragworm and prawn, could only get cooked prawns but Ive had quite a lot of success with these in the past so thought i would give them a try again.

I fished off the end of the small sea wall (type thing?) that sticks out into the water, not sure what it is or what its there for (sea defense of some sort possibly?) but looked like a good platform to fish off and having never fished around there before i thought i would give it a try. High tide was 8.55am apparently but it wasn't fishable there until about 8am so it is a real shallow water spot, plus today being a low tide i am sure didn't help, but this was to be expected and i was there after bass and possibly flounder and eels.

As soon as the water touched the rocks i started fishing and it wasn't long before the rod tip started rattling with what was clearly small bass biting, and unfortunately that is all i got all morning, just small bass no larger than 6 inches long, i had quite a few in the end, all on the ragworm and none on the prawns, just bass though, no eels or flatties. But i shouldn't complain really, i haven't been out fishing for a while and it was nice to just get back out again.

What made the session even more enjoyable though was while my main rod was out i was doing some plugging along the rocks and out into the inside of the sea wall i was on. I only had a very cheap and tacky lure that i bought for about a £1 i think out of the shop the 'Range' near where i live, and my spinning rod and reel, so i wasn't very optimistic, but i actually caught 2 bass on it, both lip hooked so they were definitely going for the lure and not foul hooked. I was pretty shocked myself, the bass weren't much bigger than the lure though the greedy buggers but it was exciting none the less because i love lure fishing and never get to do it, the water is surprisingly clear at that part so i will definitely be doing that again down there, i will try it on a bigger tide next time as i reckon that may bring in bigger fish.

Anyway, overall an enjoyable session as its just nice to get out, but just a shame the fish were so small but i guess the way the fishing is at the moment its nice to catch anything at all.

Tight lines :fish:

Will

Attachments

·
Registered
543 Posts
good report fella

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
If you are prepared for a bit of a walk, then it's better fishing to drive down the road aways, park before the houses, then walk around the field following the shoreline as far as you can, around the sewage-work's fence.

The water is deeper there, and you are casting out into the estuary proper.

The fishing is generally better (plus you get some depth to fish earlier and for longer).

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Leon,

Sorry for the late response to your advice. I have not tried round there no, i dont mind walking to good fishing spots though. I did have a drive up that way but come up to a private road sign before i got to the houses so i didn't think you could go any further up than that?

Is it a good winter spot too do you know? I would love to find a good local winter spot to hopefully get some coddies when they come back in, i had a couple at Medway City Estate last winter but i'm not a massive fan of fishing there really.

Thanks Leon,

Will

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Hi Leon,
I did have a drive up that way but come up to a private road sign before i got to the houses so i didn't think you could go any further up than that?
Pull up onto the area just before the Private Road sign, then follow the footpath around the field.

It's not a 'good' fishing area, but if you just want somewhere fairly local to fish, it's as good as any of the shallow water marks, if not better.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks for that Leon, i will no doubt give that a try, i enjoy trying new areas anyway, whether they have prooven to fish well in the past or not, its just nice to try different places.

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts