World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I suppose we all watched this high pressure coming in, and probably all came to the same conclusion that Wednesady would be a good day to get the boat off it's moorings and out into Mount's Bay, (in this case from Porthleven), so that's what me and my mate did in my boat.

OK, so Wednesday came and out we went, two rods, 4 hours, every bait and tactic you could think of and the result - absolutely sweet Fanny Adams - not a bite between us. Motored home having enjoyed the lovey early spring sun, but fishless and a bit dejected.

So woke up this morning, Thursday, bit duller but still calm and reasonably warm. Phoned my mate, "coming out?" "Nope, not worth it yet. Let the water warm up a bit". Well, I could see what he meatnt, but the call of the sea got the better of me and off I went solo. Got out on the rising tide at about mid day, motored out to a favourite mark a couple of miles off - 1½ hours - nothing. Oh s*^t here we go again.

I was about to give up and call it a day, but then I thought No, I'll just have a go over that kelp bed - another favourite mark not ½ mile from shore in just 60ft of water, but very productive on a good day - got there, changed the tackle to 3 snood cod feathers on big hooks and dropped over the kelp. Just poured myself the last cup of tea from the flask with the rod tucked under my arm and WHAM - the rod went down like a stone - s*^t (again) - dropped the tea and the flask over the engine cover and felt a mighty big haul on the rod. Luckily I had got my landing net out, an automatic reaction despite the previous day's blank, played the fish up gently because I knew it was a good 'un. When it broke surface I could see it was a cod. In the net, on the boat, spring balance out of the fishing box - 12lb beauty.

Unfortunately I had not yet dusted off my little digital camera, so not pics at the time, but when I got in my other mate had a camera with him and took a couple of pics on the mooring. I'll like them when he sends them to me.

Where's the kelp bed? you must be joking..!!!

Cheers
PB

·
Registered
55 Posts
I went out with a mate from porthleven a few weeks ago, drifted a few marks for a couple of hours and not even a sniff.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Peter, did you bait the feathers? I used them to good effect in the bay last year, picking up cod, pollack, whiting and two fish i had never caught before a hake and a haddock!!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Strikey,

Actually earlier on that trip when I was out on the 2 mile mark I did use baited 6 snood mackerel feathers - I sacrificed one of my salted mackerel lobster pot baits - but it brough nothing. When I came in to the kelp bed and changed to the much bigger 3 snood cod feathers I didn't bait them because I had run out and didn't want to sacrifice another salted mackie with the potting season just about on and the pots on the boat ready to go. That really is the beauty of fishing isn't it - you can't put odds on anything !!

Cheeers
PB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts