World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Fresh back from Mousehole where i managed to get a few short sessions in....

Thursday 4,30pm Mousehole,

Headed down to the harbour arm armed with carp rod and float set up for just a quick session. One hour before high tide. Had a crack with Rag on the float, a small Wrasse is as much as i could muster (pictured right), loads of weed both Green and Kelp made conditions tricky. There were loads of people diving into the harbour which was fine they then decided to head to where me and another guy were fishing and asked if it was ok if the jumped and dived in where we were fishing with smug grins all over there faces egging each other on knowing full well it was going to pee us both off!!!! I know the sea is a free space but a bit of consideration would of been nice . I wouldnt start fishing where they were swimming and it was late enough in the day that you wouldnt expect swimmers!! Packed up disgruntled!!! Drowned sorrows in Pub!

Friday 12,30pm Praa Sands,

After some local advice from the guy at the tackle shop in Porthleven i headed to the eastely side of Praa Sands just by the WW2 look out. i fished a clipped down Pennel with Sand EeL at around 120 yards didnt have an iummediate response and fished for a good couple of hours before i hooked into the only fish of the session which was a nice Thorney of about 3 l/b.

Friday 5,15pm Lamorna Cove.

I fished the storm damaged arm and had some fun spinning with the Carp road. But focused my attention on fishing small Sand eel and Rag baits along the rocks on the right hand side both on the float initially and then rotten bottom leger rig 1/0 hook and varying distances with the casts. Had small Wrasse and then an absoloutle storming bite at around 30 yards out and landed this beautifully coloured Ballan (pictured left).

Overall a delightful trip Not tons of fish but good sport non the less!! Lamorna Cove was a great find and i look forward to fishing there again now i am armed with a little more Knowledge. If anyone is fishing in Mousehole i would reccomend they head here. I would of loved a Pollock on the spinning gear i tried a mixture of Lures, Red Gills and Jelly Worms but to no avail. Oh well its an excuse to go again! i was happy with the Wrasse fishing, no monsters just the one i managed to take a picture of (left) which was just under a couple of pounds.

Cheers,

Grant.

Attachments

·
Banned
44,186 Posts
You could have picked up some of my gear from Lamorna as well.:)

Glad you had a good time and managed to get into the Wrasse. Nice to see a report as well.:)

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

Cheers for the responses. We may pop down in Late August and fish the Cove again. Really want a Pollock this time any tactics reccommended i tried deep spun sand eel and jellies and Dexters etc!!!! any tips????

Grant.

·
Banned
44,186 Posts
When you go to Lamorna, instead of fishing the harbour go across the car park and follow the cliff path towards the bay entrance. From the rocks you will be straight into deep water and using the same tactics you should catch. Might be worth giving a frozen sabd eel a go.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Sounds like a good trip. The wrasse can be good fun down at Lamorna. As Snag said head around the cliffs and fish from the marks to the left and right of the harbour, more and bigger fish than in the harbour itself.

As for the Thornie at Praa, thats a great catch. I have been trying to catch one all year with no joy and I fish Praa quite a lot. Also Thornies are a pretty rare catch at Praa (small eyes are common though) so good on you mate.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers mate, my Ray id aint great have caught Thornneys off boats before pretty sure it was although quite pale????

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Really good report, BM — enjoyed reading it. I love fishing the pointy end of Cornwall — big variety great marks all within a short drive and, like you said, not getting huge catches doesn't really matter that much. Good fish all the same.

Re those swimmers ... similar happened to me once, and I said, Sure, I don't mind you swimming if you don't mind a hundred mph lead through your skull. Amazingly this worked without the aggro I expected. The three lads were quite shocked to learn just how dangerous catching a lead would be, and even stayed chatting and watched me fishing for a while!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Couldnt really be bothered with any confrontation it was my Birthday so just decided to move on. The annoyong thing was you could just tell they were doing it to be annoying laughing to each other, elbowing each other asking stupid questions like will it scare the fish! any how!!!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Mousehole is a write off in summer, not worth the pain in the arse kids. Better off elsewhere.
Glad you got some wrasse they are great fun, I like to use a big free lined mackerel chunk close in for the better fish. If you want pollack just texas rig any decent sized jelly worm and work it over the kelp, I find it helps if you let it sink on a slack line and count to 30 before reeling in short slow jerks to make sure you are hitting bottom .
Can't avoid the buggers doing my head in, had one smaller than the lure!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts