World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
The Bean Counter
44,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started the countdown to my trip to Mousehole for a week from 23/7. I have fished there in the past but would like some help if possible.
1. It would appear that there is no clear ground between the harbour and St Clements Isle. Is this correct?
2. I have heard that there is a small cave if you follow the rocky beach around from the far harbour car park. Has anyone fished this and what tackle should I be using?
3. Is there clear ground from the harbour wall at Lamorna? Again what would be the best tackle to use here.
All help greatly appreciated. :) :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
hi there,

i will be in penzance the same time as u could meet up?
never fished at mousehole but at lamorna there is a small stretch of rocks at the harbour wall then it leads out to sand - i have mainly seen people going for flatties from there, also some smaller pollock and wrasse from the rocks either side of the harbour.

the cave at mousehole is shaped like a mouse hole hence the name of the village

·
Registered
210 Posts
1. There are small patches of clean ground, but these need long casts to reach. There is clean ground at the harbours mouth, flounders can be caught here, but fishing for them is best in the winter months.

2. There is a large cave if u follow the rocks around from the harbour, but only at low tide. At high tide, there is a path to reach this mark. This mark features gulleys and kelp beds, and is a decent spot for wrasse and pollack, with rag catching the most fish, but crab will catch the larger wrasse. Spinning sandeel is also a good method here. Mackerel, scad and garfish can also be caught here on evening springs.

3. Clean ground surrounds the harbour at lamorna, as swiss stated. Flatfish, including sole can be caught here, as well as bass. Best tactics are a flowing trace with either lug, rag or sandeel as bait.

Hope this has answered your questions. Will

·
The Bean Counter
44,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks Swiss. I have familly with me so will be keeping them occupied. If I can get free for a day I will PM you to arrange a meet.

Many thanks PZ. What distance should I be looking to cast in the cave area?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Not quite sure if this is spelt right, but my mate caught a 6+1/2lb bass from there spinning for Mac the other day.

It is just round the corner from Mousehole towards Lamorna. Park on Ragginis Hill and take the coastal footpath towards lamorna and you will see it, its not far, loads different species can be had from here.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Swiss, most wrasse and pollack will be at your feet, so no no need for long casting.

Spaniards is a good mark, although not fished often. A good spot for bass at the right time. Many of the boas handline for bass here, so its worth a try.

will

·
Registered
199 Posts
pzwill said:
Swiss, most wrasse and pollack will be at your feet, so no no need for long casting.

Spaniards is a good mark, although not fished often. A good spot for bass at the right time. Many of the boas handline for bass here, so its worth a try.

will
hi will, never said about casting mate :confused: if i didnt make it clear i mean that from the harbour i have seen people casting out for the flats and others going from the rocks catching smallish wrasse/pollock etc.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sorry swiss, got a bit confused. i meant snaggletooth....

·
Registered
199 Posts
though u might have done but wasnt sure :D no probs anyway mate.

as there are a few of us in the area at the same time why dont a few people meet up, even if its for a beer?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sounds like a good idea swiss

·
The Bean Counter
44,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Many thanks to one and all. By the way HSD is my tipple as I don't seem to be able to get Wreckers any more.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Haven't fished either yet this year, but should be quite good by the time you arrive.

Should be lots of schoolies in the estuary and some flatties. The estuary is also a nice easy place to fish as you can park at the far end of the harbour and fish sitting on the boot of the car.

I have never had much luck over at Godrevy for some reason, maybe others here have, although I'm sure it could be quite good.

·
The Bean Counter
44,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Vaughan. Having difficulty with the area to park, is it near the bakery?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Coming from PZ. If you go through the town, past Spar (which would be on your right) and carry along the road past the harbour (on left), you come to a big bakery (I think Filps) on the left, the road starts to bend round to the right. Just after the bend there is a turning left that takes you over a narrow (1 car width bridge). Once over the bridge the road turns into a track, just keep following the track and you will find all the parking places, there are a lot of places to park down there.

·
The Bean Counter
44,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for the directions Vaughan I can now picture where to go.
I wondered if you or anyone else has fished Porthtowan. Always fancied it but seems to be full of surfers most of the time.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Yes I have fished it this year, but early in Feb, did not have anything that night, but I am sure it will be quite good now. If there is a bit of swell and an onshore wind there should be some bass about.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts