World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Having just returned from Mousehole, where i did some fishing from the harbour wall with a degree of success with small Wrasse and Pollock i am returning at the end of May.

Does anyone fish in or around Mousehole and have any tips or tricks? i was float fishing with Rag and Lug. But thought maybe Crab might Kill for the bigger Wrasse or maybe some deep spinning with Jellies or small Shads for some better Pollock. A skipper mentioned that Flounder can be caught in the actual harbour at high water is this the case?? And can i expect Mackerel from the harbour as well?

Sorry for all the questions and your help is gratefully received.

Cheers,:notworthy

Grant.

·
The Bean Counter
44,170 Posts
Hi all,

Having just returned from Mousehole, where i did some fishing from the harbour wall with a degree of success with small Wrasse and Pollock i am returning at the end of May.

Does anyone fish in or around Mousehole and have any tips or tricks? i was float fishing with Rag and Lug. But thought maybe Crab might Kill for the bigger Wrasse or maybe some deep spinning with Jellies or small Shads for some better Pollock. A skipper mentioned that Flounder can be caught in the actual harbour at high water is this the case?? And can i expect Mackerel from the harbour as well?

Sorry for all the questions and your help is gratefully received.

Cheers,:notworthy

Grant.
Never seen the flounder in the harbour but have seen them on the patch of sand at the entrance. Mackeral and Gar can be caught on the float from the wall.

Never seen any Wrasse bigger than a pound so I doubt crab will do much for you. Again the Pollack don't seem to be of any great size. I've found that spinning with rag on a reasonably slow retrieve gets good results for the Pollack.

Also keep an eye out for Mullet as they come into the harbour as well. Also rockling can be caught on the outside of the harbour on sand eel.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Cheers for the response. If i fancy doing a bit of roving and want to wander on foot from Mousehole are there any spots i should head for that may produce a better fish??

Cheers,

Grant.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Mousehole caves can be quite productive.
http://www.multimap.com/map/browse....n=true&zm=0&scale=25000&right.x=5&right.y=144

If you look at the link you will see the words Merlyn rock. Just to the left and up a bit are where the caves are situated.

If your prepared to walk follow the coast path south until you get to 'Zawn Organ' you can fish of the point there and then a little further on you come to Carn Dhu. Quite deep water mark can ber very productive for bigger pollack, mackerel, gars, conger, wrasse, rockling......its a good all round mark.

·
The Bean Counter
44,170 Posts
Between Mousehole and Newlyn is Penlee Point. Bigger fish to be had here. In the other direction (towards Lamorna) is Point Spaniard.

Have a look on ordnance survey maps for exact location.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Between Mousehole and Newlyn is Penlee Point. Bigger fish to be had here. In the other direction (towards Lamorna) is Point Spaniard.

Have a look on ordnance survey maps for exact location.
Both Penlee point and Bell Rock have been very poor since last November. The fishing in truth from both these marks has been awful. I suspect that it will pick up now the warmer weather has arrived although there are often pots and spider tangle nets set very close to both of these marks.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys,

Thanks for the replies and the effort you have put in, really useful, i will let you know how i get on. Iam going down on the 31st of May.

Grant

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Guys,

Thought i would just revisit this thread rather than post a new one!! I am going to be in Mousehole Thursday afternoon until Saturday maybe Sunday!! for a short trip for my Birthday.

How has the fishing been over the last week or so?? I have a free pass from the Mrs so i intend to get in a least two sessions!!!!

Any help gratefully appreciated with current tips and pointers.

Cheers in advance.

Grant.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts