World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going off down to cornwall in July and am staying in mousehole for a few days. Is there any good fishing to be had in mousehole itself without travelling away? Such as around the harbour etc?

If so, what tactics/baits/areas?

Thanks,

Yaffle :)

·
MARCHING ON TOGETHER!
10,506 Posts
You may find that it will be combat fishing as it does get very busy on the harbour.:blink:
nice place there but i dont know where you'd park to fish mind cos it's a tiny place..nice though i went through there once behind a bus yes a bus and if you know that place you know what i'm on about i was on our way to lands end the coast route [never again]and as for those bus drivers ?well they deserve medals and that was in sept mind not peak period have fun tightlines andy ilsf..:)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys,

I will try to avoid the crowds by fishing very early and late in the day, when most of the other holiday makers will be still asleep or having breakfast. I prefer spinning and plugging, but I don't think there will be any oppurtunity for that really, so I will take some float gear most likely (Still pack some spinners just in case ;) ) and use that. Is it better to fish inside the harbour itself or off the wall and I don't have a clue what baits to use???

Any help appreciated,

Yaffle

·
Banned
44,187 Posts
Thanks Guys,

I will try to avoid the crowds by fishing very early and late in the day, when most of the other holiday makers will be still asleep or having breakfast. I prefer spinning and plugging, but I don't think there will be any oppurtunity for that really, so I will take some float gear most likely (Still pack some spinners just in case ;) ) and use that. Is it better to fish inside the harbour itself or off the wall and I don't have a clue what baits to use???

Any help appreciated,

Yaffle
Fish the outisde. Rag will get you Wrasse and Pollack. Sand eel and mackie should get you any macks or gars higher in the water.

Spinning is possible but you'll lose gear in the rocks and weed which is why float is better. If you look at the link in the first reply it gives you some close by marks which you'll get a better result from spinning.

I find that the evenings are still busy on the walls but early morning is quieter.

·
Registered
210 Posts
personally i would take a quick walk out either to the caves adjacent to the harbour, or walk out onto the coast path and fish the marks there. there is a flat rock which can be good for bigger pollack, water is a bit deeper here.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Can't remember what its called but if you head back towards Newlyn from Mousehole (its walking distance) there is a mark by the side of the old Penlee lifeboat station - just scramble down to the left of the lifeboat station, at low tide you can walk out to a rocky island and bottom fish onto clean ground and at high tide you can fish off the wall (bottom here is rocky and snaggy) i've had good results from both in the past and i've always had the place to myself...

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Can't remember what its called but if you head back towards Newlyn from Mousehole (its walking distance) there is a mark by the side of the old Penlee lifeboat station - just scramble down to the left of the lifeboat station, at low tide you can walk out to a rocky island and bottom fish onto clean ground and at high tide you can fish off the wall (bottom here is rocky and snaggy) i've had good results from both in the past and i've always had the place to myself...
That is Bell Rock (Penlee Point) and can be a really good spot for a wide variety of species on the float and on the bottom.

Spaniards point can be a good fun mark for some nice pollack, macky and wrasse on the float + eels and Rocklings after dark on the bottom. It is just round the corner from the harbour towards Lamorna. It can be accessed by a footpatch about 1/3 of the way up Raginnis Hill and is normally quite quiet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts