World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Next weekend I am intending to go to mudeford quay and fish there from the shore with a few friends during the day. I am fairly new to sea fishing but recently I have been doing it more regularly. I have only fished once at mudeford before, and that was on the other side of the boat lane fishing inwards towards the wall where people often crab. I caught a reasonably sized flounder and a couple of small bass in the summer. I have a Shakespeare bass 10ft rod and a Shakespeare agility reel with 12lb line. But I am unfamiliar with this location at this time of year. It would be much appreciated if you guys could give me some tips and advice on what bait to use, rigs, what tide to fish on, what fish I could potentially catch at this time of the year, and where abouts to fish at mudeford,
Thanks

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Hi Louis, welcome to the forum.
I've fished Mudeford quite a lot this year, with some encouraging results, but all my success has come spinning plastics. The tidal rip through the channel is strong, and there is a lot of weed (though less now than in summer). Most of the bait fishermen I see spend most of their time clearing their lines. If you're going to fish bait in the run, a simple ball weight drifted down the current will find the fish but it might be frustrating.
The fish are mostly bass, and shoal up in different places at different stages of the tide, so you have to move around searching them out. If you get one, you'll probably get a few in the same place. They're mostly undersized but I've had a few sizeable fish there recently, including three last week, so they're around. I fish the Quay with a landing net as it's a bit of a way to lift decent fish with my skinny rod.
If you want to sit drowning worms, there are a few local shore marks to the east of the Quay, including Avon Beach and Steamer Point; and of course there's Hengistbury Head, the Double ***** and the back of the Head on the other side of the run. At this time of the year, most of the summer species will have thinned out or gone but the bass stay beyond Christmas, pout and whiting will be plentiful, there's always a chance of an undulate, small-eyed, flounder or cod. There's also a few sea trout around - the fish in my avatar was caught spinning from Hengistbury groyne this April. Be aware that the minimum size for bass is 42cm and that you're allowed to keep just one; and that you need an EA migratory fish license to keep sea trout.
Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Louis, welcome to the forum.
I've fished Mudeford quite a lot this year, with some encouraging results, but all my success has come spinning plastics. The tidal rip through the channel is strong, and there is a lot of weed (though less now than in summer). Most of the bait fishermen I see spend most of their time clearing their lines. If you're going to fish bait in the run, a simple ball weight drifted down the current will find the fish but it might be frustrating.
The fish are mostly bass, and shoal up in different places at different stages of the tide, so you have to move around searching them out. If you get one, you'll probably get a few in the same place. They're mostly undersized but I've had a few sizeable fish there recently, including three last week, so they're around. I fish the Quay with a landing net as it's a bit of a way to lift decent fish with my skinny rod.
If you want to sit drowning worms, there are a few local shore marks to the east of the Quay, including Avon Beach and Steamer Point; and of course there's Hengistbury Head, the Double ***** and the back of the Head on the other side of the run. At this time of the year, most of the summer species will have thinned out or gone but the bass stay beyond Christmas, pout and whiting will be plentiful, there's always a chance of an undulate, small-eyed, flounder or cod. There's also a few sea trout around - the fish in my avatar was caught spinning from Hengistbury groyne this April. Be aware that the minimum size for bass is 42cm and that you're allowed to keep just one; and that you need an EA migratory fish license to keep sea trout.
Good luck!
Thanks so much for the reply, it is incredibly useful and very kind of you to take your time to supply me with this information. If I was going to fish in the run, what bait would you suggest to use? And also what lures do you usually use around the quay or would suggest to me to use?

·
Registered
493 Posts
in the run, fish a freelined live sandeel (if you can get them), if not, a good alternative is a bubble float and a good plastic eel, eddystone etc... you should get some Bass on those...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
in the run, fish a freelined live sandeel (if you can get them), if not, a good alternative is a bubble float and a good plastic eel, eddystone etc... you should get some Bass on those...
Do you know any tackle shops or places where I could get live sandeel around Southampton/Christchurch area?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts