World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Next weekend I am intending to go to mudeford quay and fish there from the shore with a few friends during the day. I am fairly new to sea fishing but recently I have been doing it more regularly. I have only fished once at mudeford before, and that was on the other side of the boat lane fishing inwards towards the wall where people often crab. I caught a reasonably sized flounder and a couple of small bass in the summer. I have a Shakespeare bass 10ft rod and a Shakespeare agility reel with 12lb line. But I am unfamiliar with this location at this time of year. It would be much appreciated if you guys could give me some tips and advice on what bait to use, rigs, what tide to fish on, what fish I could potentially catch at this time of the year, and where abouts to fish at mudeford,
Thanks

·
Registered
493 Posts
hello mate, the fishing is normally better much further up the 'spit', right near the corner of the headland where the tide pushes around the point of Hengistbury Head. The first bay between the groynes in front of the beach huts is a popular spot when the wind is strong from the SW. Further down, you should be able to catch plaice, pout, whiting, bass and maybe some good sized Dab on a good old 'stinky' squid or black lug.... and the dreaded LSD will almost certainly put in an appearance (this is night fishing by the way) . If you are fishing during the day, go to the end of Hengistbury Head and fish off the concrete groyne. You can catch allsorts off here, even big cod in the hellish kelp and rock beds (rotten bottom highly recommended) otherwise, float fishing for gars and macks' pollack as well and some cracking Wrasse can be caught here, if you're brave enough to bottom fish!! Tight lines... go explore! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hello mate, the fishing is normally better much further up the 'spit', right near the corner of the headland where the tide pushes around the point of Hengistbury Head. The first bay between the groynes in front of the beach huts is a popular spot when the wind is strong from the SW. Further down, you should be able to catch plaice, pout, whiting, bass and maybe some good sized Dab on a good old 'stinky' squid or black lug.... and the dreaded LSD will almost certainly put in an appearance (this is night fishing by the way) . If you are fishing during the day, go to the end of Hengistbury Head and fish off the concrete groyne. You can catch allsorts off here, even big cod in the hellish kelp and rock beds (rotten bottom highly recommended) otherwise, float fishing for gars and macks' pollack as well and some cracking Wrasse can be caught here, if you're brave enough to bottom fish!! Tight lines... go explore! :)
Thank you so much for the helpful reply, do you think that I will have better results fishing on the boat lane entering the harbour, or on the corner of the headland like you said during the day?

·
Registered
493 Posts
oooooh, that's a difficult one????? your tackle sounds more suited to fishing the tide run at the entrance with... stuff I've just posted on the South Coast and CI forum....:BigGrin:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts