World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
i went fishing at mudeford quay last week for about an hour and a half and had a decent eel and a v. small bass!

I was fishing rite in the boat channel with a ragworm on the bottom.

Just wondering if any1 could give me any pointers on how far out i should cast and any other baits i should try??

I mainly want to catch bass!! is there a particular way i could target fish of over a pound or so? and wat size do they get to around here??

Thank you for any help
:fish:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi there,
i went fishing at mudeford quay last week for about an hour and a half and had a decent eel and a v. small bass!

I was fishing rite in the boat channel with a ragworm on the bottom.

Just wondering if any1 could give me any pointers on how far out i should cast and any other baits i should try??

I mainly want to catch bass!! is there a particular way i could target fish of over a pound or so? and wat size do they get to around here??

Thank you for any help
:fish:
Use fishy baits or crab for bigger bass , not saying ragworm dont work it does for me but more smaller fish on worm then other mentioned baits for the bigger fish

G

·
I'd say Hengistbury Head is a much better bet. I fished Mudeford for a few hours a couple of weeks ago in the afternoon.... blanked.

Lots of people about, boats etc, but I hear it's a better proposition at night, but I am not sure how much better. I read people are taking decent size bass from the back of Stanpit Marsh, there is a shale beach there.

In my opinion Rag is great to tip the bait with for some movement, but I would use lugworm with it too, it tends to bleed a lot and bass sniff it out. From what I read on here most people are taking bass at Southbourne and Hengistbury on mackeral and sandeel.

I saw fish two rods, one with worm and the other with fishbait, you'll soon get an idea what works there.

At Mudeford if you cast out too far you'll be in very shallow water as you can see the sandbars at low tide. The schooling bass come in close to the quay, but i'd say being in that tidal flow which the fish use to enter and exit Christchurch Harbour has to be worth a go.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Many moons ago, when i were a nipper,we were due out on a night trip to the Needles on Johnny Batchelors boat, arrived late due to puncture and barely had time to leave the key before the low, yeah he managed to go aground on the outside sand bar, so there we were stuck fast for 3 hours, what to do?,the obvious, catch bass all night in the run from a stranded boat, top fish about 6 lb!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anyone else have any usefull information about mudeford...
I drove down there the other day and it looks like its worth a few sessions, on the actual harbour wall... Anyone ever heard of congers being taken here?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I would say its pretty poor on the Quay , because of the crabs. Only time its worth fishing is when we have big swells using monster baits close in.

However in the summer if you get the ferry accross to the other side of mudeford next to the rocks on the left tip (basically opposite the Quay) there is a channel about 5-10 yards out which can be very good at HT (not a spring to fast and weedy) My mate had a four pound bass in the day there and I had a sizeable one. From speaking to the guy in the tackle shop though its not worth fishing till June.

In the summer there are loads of Bass from the beaches all the way along , especially when we have a big of wind and swell

Good luck

·
Registered
136 Posts
fish it at night on the up tide drop a squid and rag mix tight to the wall picked up many a good bass this way but you will get through loads of bait as it will be stripped by crabs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts