World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mull of Galloway boat trip 27/7/08

Left the Glasgow area with BMac shortly after 5am and towed Ticketty Boo! II through a lot of thick fog down to the launch site at East Tarbert for 8 o'clock. A nice smooth journey down with few other vehicles on the road. I paid Farmer Giles his £3 launch fee and went to have a look at the beach before launching. This is when the first dead dogfish caught my eye, then another, then another etc. The beach was strewn with them - some headless and all with their bellies slit open - and empty beer bottles and cans. A NE England version of Team Buckfast were emerging from their tents as we arrived.

Launched with no problems, but in very thick mist. Ian Burret had told us that his teams were heading further North up Luce bay for tope. The original plan was to tag along with these guys. Headed down to the MOG to fill up with mackeral for the day. Caught a sufficiency and a few pollack too. By now the mist / fog had got thicker and we hung around until it had lifted a bit. sailed from there over to a mark East of The Scars and anchored up there with the rubby dubby onion bag attached to the anchor chain. This had been an ideal chance to clear all the junk out of the bait freezer and get rid of it, so in went coalies, mackeral, old squid, crab legs, a few re-frozen crabs and sandeels and some fresh mackeral to add to the mix of finely chopped and chunky bait samples.

We were into doggies straight away and must have had over 30 during the day - every one a good size too. Other species were grey gurnards and small whiting I had a nice wee bull huss of about 3 to 4 lb. BMac's highlight was a fine Bull Huss of 8lb 13oz, breaking his PB by a couple of pounds. My highlight - a large lobster (with it's left claw missing) took a fancy to a wee strip of mackeral belly on a size 1 fine wire blue hook. This was literally hanging on when we got it into the landing net, and it's remains are now in my bin! Alas no tope, but none the less and enjoyable jaunt in nice sea conditions. Returned back to the cliffas at the MOG to see if wee could pick up and wrasse or other species on the wee sabiki lures, but every mark was thick from top to bottom with mackeral and nothing else.

Scorching weather all day after the mist lifted. One of those glorious long summer days that you never want to end - except that you have a three hour drive to get home and a manky boat to clean! We managed to catch the traffic at cairnryan just as the Ferry was offloading, so quite busy all the way up the A77 with big lorries. Stopped at Girvan for a great fish supper (chippy on the left just after traffic lights) and home for 9pm.

A very long, but very enjoyable day.

Attachments

·
Registered
818 Posts
Exact same report from myself out it my own boat down there except only one bull huss at 8lb 11oz for my mate michael and again no tope.

Did manage a few other species aswell: we got millions of dogs again al good size,millions of mackerel although very small joeys, coding, dab, grey gurnard and also a very nice tub gurard at just over 1lb. cracking looking fish.

arrived back in not long before ticketty boo then I followed him back up the road with the boats, bu not before a wee stop off at the chippy in girvan with a face looking like a red raw well skelped arse!!!

great day weather wise down luce bay after the mist and fog lifted just beofre lunchtime

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Yeah, It was a really good day even though the Tope didn't come out to play, Nice to meet you in person Daz.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
nice huss billy , and even the lobster a good size ,
roads were packed at weekend all over with sun out.:sun::sun:

·
Registered
14,635 Posts
well done boys...

·
Registered
653 Posts
well done men..wheres all the tope hiding i wonder?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
billy what was the huss caught on could do with one of them on my list
Adey, it was caught on a half Mackerel.

·
The Lead Legend
4,710 Posts
welldone fellas

·
Registered
962 Posts
well done men..wheres all the tope hiding i wonder?
I suspect the tope have entered their breeding cycle. We often find them difficult to locate for a three week period at this time of the year although i did manage to land 8 that day. All of them being heavily scarred after the intense foreplay.

Luce Bay is basically the scene for a huge orgy :clap::clap:

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mathew - Lobster was cooked for ten minutes on Sunday night, shelled, chilled, and devoured with a nice glass of chardonnay last night.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Luce Bay is basically the scene for a huge orgy :clap::clap:
When I spoke to you about Porgys the other night, you mentioned a big Porgy orgy at Scrabster in the winter..............

Do you have a thing about fish orgies ??????????????

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
your house again ian, saturday night??:yahoo:

i'll bring the vaseline...:thumbs:
sorry les ian likes it with a bit of sand on :help::eek:hnoes::cc_surren

1 - 20 of 24 Posts