World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Insane Poster
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i had a tip earlier today that a certain estuary fairly close to home, has coughed up a few good sized grey mullet over the weekend to mepps spinning spoons, now as a newcomer to lure fishing, i am a total virgin when it comes to catching mullet, (even though i have watched Henry virtually pull his hair out at the roots (on tv) trying to catch them on floated bread) So tomorrow evening i'm thinking of taking my drennan esox lure rod (5-15grm) and having a bash to see if i can catch my first ever mullet, i think i was given fairly sound advice on how to fish the mepps for mullet but any further tips would be much appreciated, (i might just take a bubble float and a loaf of fresh bread as back up),, Cheers In Advance,, Marc..:thumbs:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hi Marc

If you are using the mepps with the treble removed and replaced with a length of mono + aberdeen hook loaded with ragworm, AKA 'The baited spinner', you will get lots of tentative plucks at the bait from the mullet.

Don't be tempted to strike at these initial plucks, but keep the retrieve going with the blade of the mepps just ticking over (as slow as you can). If you strike, you will pull the lure away from the fish and they will usually loose interest.

You may find that the mullet come right to the rod tip and then turn away, but often, especially if there are several fish following, the element of competition will encourage one to have a go an grab the bait. The rod will hammer over as the mullet turns away and will hook itself in doing so, so there is no need to strike.

By keeping the ragworm trimmed to no more than 1cm beyond the bend of the hook, the mullet will take in sufficient hooklength to ensure a clean hook-up in the lip or corner of the mouth.

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
If its mainly thick lipped mullet being caught on bread then you may struggle with the spinner and worm. If theres some Thin Lips mixed in then you should catch some of those.

The Thin lips seem to go for the spinner and bait much more than the Thick lips usually.But sometimes Thick lips also take the baited spinner.

Some anglers say a certain size spinner is best or a certain colour or it must be a Mepps , but any colour can work(even flourescent orange),plus the larger spinners can work if you cut the large treble off and replace it with a short length of flourocarbon with a smallish treble or a smallish single or pennel rigged hooks.

I prefer the small treble approach(on any size spinner when after mullet) and headhook one harbour rag on each of the treble hooks and nipp them in half so the fish cant just nibble the tails.

Theres some good(british) spinners (20 at a time) on the auction site at the moment,very free spinning and well made. Best to snip the hooks off(too large and not overly sharp) and put your own hooks on.
Cost me about £5.50 for 20 with post.(bidding)

Some cheaper spinners dont spin freely at slow speeds,but its not always more cost = qaulity. The slower speed that spinner will still work the better. More fluttering than spinning.

Plus Mullet lb for lb fight harder than Bass,its good fun!!

·
Insane Poster
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys, i have removed the trebles on a couple of my spinners and have replaced them with a size 2 aberdeen hook and a 2.5 inch length of mono, so a 3 inch worm will fit nicely on the hook and snood, do you think this is too long or not? Thanks again,, Marc..

·
Insane Poster
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good luck with the mullet, hope they dont drive you too :crazy:
I just got all my gear together, rods, reels, spinners, lures, floats, got dressed in my bib and brace put waterproof jacket in rucksack, gave the tackleshop a ring, and guess what?? :wallbash: NO WORM 'TILL TOMORROW!!! i could have gone with just a loaf of bread, but really fancied spinning for 'em aswell..

Nevermind, theres always Wednesday :cry:

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
The british boat caught thin lip mullet record was taken last week by Jersey specimen hunter Tony Gavey. He was on a Mepps style spinner (in fact a Cormoran one) and tipped with worm. So its the time of year for them. They must go so well on the light tackle the boys use over here, I hooked 3lb 5oz one once from the same mark on a Yo-Zuri Mag Minnow fair and square in the mouth, greedy buggers aren't they

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
The british boat caught thin lip mullet record was taken last week by Jersey specimen hunter Tony Gavey. He was on a Mepps style spinner (in fact a Cormoran one) and tipped with worm. So its the time of year for them. They must go so well on the light tackle the boys use over here, I hooked 3lb 5oz one once from the same mark on a Yo-Zuri Mag Minnow fair and square in the mouth, greedy buggers aren't they

Ahhhh. I'd heard about that, was going to post a thread to try to find out some more info. Is he going to put a claim forward?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Ive only ever had a couple of Mullet on unbaited spinners.

Putting the worm on the spinner is what seems to get the Mullet interested. I wouldnt even try without the worm to be honest.
Floatfish a worm in the same area and you get little interest from the thin Lips,spin with a worm and they cant resist when they are in the mood.

Ive heard anglers say they think the Mullet see the spinner and worm as a small fish with a worm its caught and try to steal it, spinning with worm definately seems to get the Mullets attention.
Im not sure if its the vibration,sight,aggresion,bait or a combination that the Mullet find hard to ignore, but i know it works well.

·
Registered
435 Posts
ID to be confirmed in deepest, darkest, Léoville @ 19h15 ce soir.

Well done Tony, a 2nd British record - one from the shore (white bream = new species), & now one from the boat. Caught while fishing with the previous record holder I understand.

Some fishing family... :marinheir

CP

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Hi,
For anyone new to the method, it is very basic, but can be absolutely deadly. As other posters have stated, the Mullet seem to be mesmerised by the spinner / worm combo, and on light gear the sport can be absolutely fantastic.

Any average size mepps will do. Remove the treble and replace with 2.5 - 3" of line. I personally prefer to use a pennel set up, with the top hook fixed also - a bit fiddly, but worth the effort. I've used size 8 hooks, and ideally, you want to ask for small worms if buying your bait - an unusual request for most tackle shops.

Thread a 3 - 4" worm or section onto the bottom hook, and up the line, nicking the top hook into the head - this will prevent the mullet from sucking the worm off the bottom hook.

The mepps is fished unweighted, and a nice slow retrieve, with the spinner well up in the water will give the best results usually. A retreive which shows the blade just breaking the surface film is often the killer approach. Always fish the lure back as far as possible to the boat / shore / bank - often the fish will take at the last moment.

Please handle all fish carefully and return promptly - the scales on these fish can come off very easily.

Once you have had a session on these, it can be difficult fishing for 'normal' stuff again - these are seriously sporting fish that really do get the heart rate up.

A very worthwhile quarry.

Tight lines,
Mart.

·
Registered
253 Posts
What size mepp shud I use ? And does it work in habours because there is alot of mullet in a habour close to me some look over 10lb and what lb line please ?

·
Registered
514 Posts
I made a video film called the Mythical Mullet around 15 years ago and it featured Mike Ladle using the baited spinner method in a couple of south coast rivers and estuaries.

There's some info on how to make the spinners and quite a bit of unique footage of thin lipped mullet following and taking the ragworm-baited lures and is still probably the only instructional footage on how to fish this method.

You can pick up the film (now on DVD) from Amazon -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fishing-Mythical-Mullet-Ladle-Steve/dp/B000EQ451U for less than 2 quid, so a cheap insight into how best to approach catching mullet on spinners.

BTW - I have no financial interest or gain to be made, as we sold the distribution rights to Kevin Maddock's Clean River Productions many years ago.

Cheers
Steve

PS - the pic on the front cover is of my daughter Hayley (then aged 7) with a 5lb 10oz thin lipped mullet, spinner-caught from our little boat 'Limpet'

·
Insane Poster
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I made a video film called the Mythical Mullet around 15 years ago and it featured Mike Ladle using the baited spinner method in a couple of south coast rivers and estuaries.

There's some info on how to make the spinners and quite a bit of unique footage of thin lipped mullet following and taking the ragworm-baited lures and is still probably the only instructional footage on how to fish this method.

You can pick up the film (now on DVD) from Amazon -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fishing-Mythical-Mullet-Ladle-Steve/dp/B000EQ451U for less than 2 quid, so a cheap insight into how best to approach catching mullet on spinners.

BTW - I have no financial interest or gain to be made, as we sold the distribution rights to Kevin Maddock's Clean River Productions many years ago.

Cheers
Steve

PS - the pic on the front cover is of my daughter Hayley (then aged 7) with a 5lb 10oz thin lipped mullet, spinner-caught from our little boat 'Limpet'
Cheers Steve, i'll have a look at that..:thumbs:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Cheers Steve, i'll have a look at that..:thumbs:
Don't expect it to be David Attenborough standard - it was filmed on a little Sony 8mm camcorder - but it was edited by a friend of mine who worked for the BBC's natural history unit at the time.

As I mentioned - we filmed some interesting mullet behaviour and learned a lot from watching the play-backs.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts