World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time i go to the docks to fish i always see the sneaky little (not so little) grey Mullet taunting me from the marina. I've tried various baits and the only thing they take is bread. Well, i say take but what i really mean is they suck the wet bread off the hook and leave me with nothing. I was talking to a bloke down the docks and he suggested using a fly because thats the only thing he's ever caught them with.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Treat them like course fish using coarse tackle. Ground bait, loose feed, try pre baiting to get them used to taking the bait you intend to use. I can give this advice because I was given it, but i have necver caught a mullet!!!

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
bread maddies and fish scraps, to be fair i havn't put in a huge effort, i've had them feeding several time, but i didn't bother taking my rod most of the time, then when i did i couldn't get a bite!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi Angleman,
I spent a year trying for mullet in my youth until I cracked it and once I had I stopped!!
However am going to target them again this season.
Here's a tip an old hand told me - to stop the mullet sucking the bread off your hook mix your bait bread with some cotton wool to give it more body.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hi Angleman

Ok.... Go to a takle shop and buy a mepps type spinner. cut off the treble hook tie 3 or 4 inches of line and attach a size 10 hook. you could make one if you wanted too. if you are close to the water and not going to bring the fish up a great height I would add a bubble float about 6 feet from the spinner. it gives you a better casting distance and helps stop the spinner going to deep. now just hook about 1 1/2 in bit of rag on the hook..put this on like normal but leave a long tag so it will look a little like a eel. cast about 10 feet from the shoal of mullet and slowly reel in.... it might take a few goes until you get the right speed for the spinner..... you will soon find that you are getting takes all the time. mullet in marina's like this will give you a better fight than any bass. I have caught lots of mullet using this method..most of the mullet will be 4lb+ and some may be a lot heavier. If you are going to keep a few to eat.... remove all the scales there and gut it too..... the mullet is a filter feeder most of the time so the large guts are filled with fine mud and this does smell really bad!! better to let the crabs have a feed on it. :cool:

·
Banned
44,187 Posts
I have read this thread with interest as I will be harbour fishing in Cornwall at the end of July and have wanted to try for Mullet. I had been told that bread was the best bait to use.
What I was wondering is whether spinning a small artificial sandeel will have any success?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Snaggletooth,

i have had success with spinning for mullet, but i think that it is best if you choose a lure which is most like the sandeel. Tried loads of types, but the ones that are smallest and shine the most are the most productive!!

Even try feathers, as long as they have some shine to them i think you would be in with a good chance!! I had one on a set last summer with 2 mackrel!!!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hi Snaggle

The problem with using bread for Mullet is that it takes a while to get them to feed ... so if you started at the begining of the week you might get them feeding by the end of your holiday..

using a mepps type spinner as i have explained above will have you catching bass in no time..

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

Attachments

·
Banned
44,187 Posts
At what depth do you start the retrieve on these things? Likewise with other species are there different depths that you should spin at? Apart from Bass are there any other surface takers?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hi Snaggle

when casting a mepps spinner with or without the bubble float...I always start to retrieve as soons as i have put the bailarm over...the speed you retrieve is the main thing.. to fast and it will be on the surface the whole time and too slow and the spinner blade wont turn....

Most lures will have a depth that they fish at depending on the retrieve speed.....some of the plugs like the repala's have a blade that will determine how deep or shallow they fish.

mackeral and garfish will take at the surface at night Scad or its proper name horse mackeral will surface take....you do need to have a very bright light just above water level....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bassbites,
You ever tried using just spinner blades instead of buying a mepps spinner because i went down to my tackle shop today and after a talk with the bloke i ended up with 10 spinner blades for the same price as a mepps spinner. Do these work just aswell?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hi Angleman

I have and they work well too... either by using a split ring and 2 small swivels or by making a mepps type spinner with the blades......If you happen to see anyone having new windows put in ask the guys doing it if the have any small bits of the flashing they are going to throw awayas this normally in sheet form you can cut it and use it to add weight to you own made ones. don't forget the bits that get pushed in when you open a can of beer? they can be made in to spinners too

1 - 20 of 20 Posts