World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had a couple of hours spare yesterday so went to denton island just by the old slipway.
the mullet were there in numbers and were only a few feet from where i was fishing.
they were head down and feeding in the margins.
i tried everything to catch em but to no avail i dug small rag from next to where i was fishing,used small hoppers from under the rocks,bread ,mackie bits and not a taker.
they were not shy and at one point i was at the waters edge standing up and they never moved.
i will go back and ground bait the area heavily for a couple of days then go back to fish it.
prob the most frustrating 3 hours of fishing i have ever spent

·
Registered
434 Posts
i had a couple of hours spare yesterday so went to denton island just by the old slipway.
the mullet were there in numbers and were only a few feet from where i was fishing.
i tried everything to catch em but to no avail i dug small rag from next to where i was fishing,used small hoppers from under the rocks,bread ,mackie bits and not a taker.
they were not shy and at one point i was at the waters edge standing up and they never moved.
i will go back and ground bait the area heavily for a couple of days then go back to fish it.
i've had a few sessions like that top cat.:banghead:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I had a quick hour my self this week at Piddinghoe, the results were exactly the same, brave fish not easily spooked but not interested in what was up for offer at all, they were more happy rolling in around in the mud for food rather than eat the nice offering i was trying to give them.

Andy

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I've got so frustrated fishing for feeding mullet which weren't eating anything I offered them that now, as a rule, I will spend as much time as it takes trying to get them eating what I have got and not fish at all until I am fairly sure that is what they are freely munching.

Having said that, I have fished in West Bay harbour for mullet which were eating bread scraps and they ate every bit of bread I offered except any which was on a hook (I reckon they could judge the rate at which crumbs were sinking) .... and would swim by fast close to any still on a hook, then U-turn like a rocket and consume a scrap if it was washed off the hook !

I got the feeling they had seen anglers before !

G

·

hi tc,
we have the same problem up the adur,i think you are doing the
right thing by just feeding for two or three days then the day you
want to fish,just put your bait in and no free offerings!
it seems to work up the adur...

all the best in your quest for one of them MULLET...
puddle man paul.....:victory::victory::victory:

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,707 Posts
had it lots like that ,and find the only thing they cant resist is small white maggots , spray a load at them , watch them eat a few them thank your mumma for the rabbit , i dont go above 6 pound line though and paint the little hook white to , sad i know ,but it works , good luck

·
Registered
161 Posts
Why not take some prawns with you and stick them out on a float. Might keep you occupied while you're training the mullet.

Will pm you later if Paul and I can work out where we're going to be tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Rule no.1! If you can see the buggers, then 90% of the time you wont catch them.:laugh:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
had it lots like that ,and find the only thing they cant resist is small white maggots , spray a load at them , watch them eat a few them thank your mumma for the rabbit , i dont go above 6 pound line though and paint the little hook white to , sad i know ,but it works , good luck

Mark

I tried the maggot approach, two pints last week and one pint this week, loads of ground baiting and still nothing.

If this keeps up I will be going to Beachy Head, and not to fish:giveup::giveup:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Whats the rules after 1?????:secret::secret::secret:
Thats the only rule you need. Mr Topcat should of re-located to the hope, or the east pier for his mullet session :secret::laugh:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Thats the only rule you need. Mr Topcat should of re-located to the hope, or the east pier for his mullet session :secret::laugh:
I think he will tell you he spends half of his life at the East Arm

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I think he will tell you he spends half of his life at the East Arm
I know. He doesnt like to venture too far from Newhaven, perhaps thats where hes going wrong. There again i went on a 200mile round trip to fish a match yesterday where only 4 fish were weighed in and all i caught were 3 tiddlers in 5 hours, not to mention getting proper soaked!! :bangin:

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,707 Posts
Mark

I tried the maggot approach, two pints last week and one pint this week, loads of ground baiting and still nothing.

If this keeps up I will be going to Beachy Head, and not to fish:giveup::giveup:
ah but did you do the white hook , clear water ,those mullet very clever , 2 pints to much , i chuck 6 to 12 mags at a time , and wait till i see one or two take um in , also what line you using , a lot use 8 , 10 , 12 , to much , yes you will get takes but less than half as many , florocarbon as well

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
ah but did you do the white hook , clear water ,those mullet very clever , 2 pints to much , i chuck 6 to 12 mags at a time , and wait till i see one or two take um in , also what line you using , a lot use 8 , 10 , 12 , to much , yes you will get takes but less than half as many , florocarbon as well
I must admit my line is too heavy for the job (15Lb clear), i was thinking last night must get a new spool and reline it with something lighter for these occasions, but saying that i did not see them take one maggot.

Also I only threw half a pint in at a time to ground bait :doh::doh::doh:

Andy

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
buble float with a mepps behind it work.s

I have tried that, baited and non baited and also the mepps spinner on its own baited and non baited.

Does anyone have any hand grenades??

Makemineadouble was talking about some home made spinners yesterday that are meant to work (have heard this before), but thinking about it if it is not a Bass he cant catch it (not even Bass at the moment, sore subject so don't tell him I have said anything:secret::secret:)

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts