World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a highly successful guided bass session with Rob a few weeks back where I caught my pb (6.5lb), I was really looking forward to learn how to catch mullets.
Luckily, Rob had planned to go to a spot where I fished for mullet before, although I never manage to catch any :)

Once at the venue, Rob showed me how we were going to catch those elusive and cunning little beasts, and here came the big surprise . . . .
Like everyone else who tried mullet fishing, I was expecting to see the standard setup, perhaps with a few subtle changes but what I saw was a lot more natural, flowing and looking a lot more sensible than my usual Christmas tree like rig.

This is the second time I've been lucky enough to benefit from Rob's incredible knowledge and I am starting to realise that fishing isn't about having the fanciest gear. The more Rob explained about our session, the more I started to think that fishing is about taking the time to observe the surrounding then adjust the fishing to the present conditions.

OK, I went fishing twice for bass since then and I haven't managed to catch another 6 pounder, but what I have learned during those sessions has been very valuable, and I have no doubt that the knowledge being built will soon help me find my own fishing spot.

Right, we're all set now and I make a first cast into a spot suggested by Rob. As with all first casts, I start sorting myself out and not really paying attention to the rod. When suddenly, Rob notice my rod looking very exited!
NO! what are the chances of that! first cast . . .
I grab the rod and strike and here we go, not a monster but a very decent 2lb nevertheless.

Feeling full of confidence I decide to make the absolute most of this first take and start playing the fish like I have seen many times on tv :fishing1:
After a while Rob casually mentioned that perhaps I should bring the fish back towards the net :)

Many bites came after that but the thing I will remember most from this great session, is that I have learned enough to be confident about catching mullet which, is exactly the reason for asking Rob in the first place.

Once again, Thank you very much fishyrob for sharing your knowledge, it is really appreciated.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Very well done on the Mullet, making me very jealous as i have been attempting to catch one of these blighter's over the last couple of weeks.

Welldone to Robin for getting you on the fish as well.

Andy

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well done on the good fish. Can't agree more about Fishyrob - a great teacher. I didn't catch my bass when I went out with him but got it two sessions later using the same rigs and tactics - a great feeling. Hope you manage to get some more on your own in the near future.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
After a highly successful guided bass session with Rob a few weeks back where I caught my pb (6.5lb), I was really looking forward to learn how to catch mullets.
Luckily, Rob had planned to go to a spot where I fished for mullet before, although I never manage to catch any :)
Feeling full of confidence I decide to make the absolute most of this first take and start playing the fish like I have seen many times on tv :fishing1:
After a while Rob casually mentioned that perhaps I should bring the fish back towards the net :)
How cool is that! Fantastic picture, well done on your Mullet :clap3:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks very much guys, a guided session with Rob is definitely the way to go, well worth the investment ;-)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts