World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone is anyone catching mullet on the spinner yet as i've been trying around the fal the past couple of days but no luck. This is the first year i've fished for them in this way.I'm using my own spinners which work really well and look stunning well i think so whether the mullet will is a different story lol. I've had a few follows from sizeable fish and seen the smaller fish pecking at the worm but the bigger fish seem to be deeper in the water with their heads down on the weed/bottom. I know that there are thin and thick lips in the rivers but don't really know the difference between them?? I'm using size 10 hooks is this too big??

Feck

·
Registered
883 Posts
i have seen the mullet in the river and always said i will have a go but never got round to it.is spinning the best approch.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it is for the thin lips from what i have found out on the net,but i'm new to it myself mate. Not sure if i'll Get much feedback on here as i think everyone is abit tight lipped about the thin lipped! Excuse the pun!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Well I`ll tell you, spinning for thin lipps couldn`t be easier, a size 2 mepps baited with maddies.Spin just a mepps or you can use a waggler float held top and bottom to help control the depth and speed you retrieve. You should catch loads, spinning is easy.
Thick lipped ; mash up atleast a loave of bread and chuck half into your selected swim, float fish, leger or patnoster a size 10 hook baited with bread, mackeral flesh (finger tip size) or try maggot over your ground bait. I take it your fishing with course fishing gear 5 -8lb main line flouro-carbon.
Chuck in a small dollop of mashed bread every 10mins.
Watch out for surface feeding fish, quickly get a piece of bread floating the surface and watch the bait to be taken then strike.
See it`s easy as that:black_eye Oh make sure you have a landing net:thumbs:

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've had loads of frustrating days up here in N.wales on the Conwy Estuary trying to catch those elusive buggers.I've tried everything including the mepps approach, it does work but the best method i've found up here is to fly fish for them with a small sandeel imatation i dont fly fish normaly but i got told it works so i asked my mate to lend me his fly gear and I had instant sucsess landing 2 [email protected] and [email protected] 5lb (and that was with dodgey casting and plenty of thrashing the water!!).Its worth a go you've got nothing to lose.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will have to get me fly gear out again and do abit of thrashing myself, like you say tis worth a try :crazy: How small i fly are we talking about i've got some sandeel ones about 4" or so but guessing they'd be abit big lol could always foul hook them!!! :nono::uhuh:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.