World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was the summer of 1966 I was a young lad my Dad and I were standing on the Brutus road bridge in Totnes Devon, the tide had just turned and built up over the rapids we watched in disbelief as the Mullet started swimming up river there were countless thousands of them the river was black with Mullet...we stood there for best part of an hour and still the fish came by below us...far off days now and the river has changed so much with regard to the amount of fish, someone discovered that Mullet make good fertilizer and fishmeal... such a sad shame.

Mick.

·
Registered
654 Posts
A lovely memory I had about 4 years ago I went plugging for bass just before dark.Had a few then nothing just bites what felt like plucks at the lure.I'm fishing into total darkness now and still plucks!.In the end I shone my light into the water as it was so fustrating only to be greated and surrounded by thousands and I mean thousands of mullet as far as the headlamp could shine.How I never foul hooked one I will never know.Packed up climbed up the cliff and shone the headlamp back in the water.The hole of this bay was rammed with them.The further the headlamp went out the bigger the mullet were.
I would hate to say how many mullet there were but I've never seen so many fish and it wasn't a small bay.
Went back next day.
ALL GONE

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try a mepp spinner with a single hook an inch behind the lure with a small rag worm on....and hang on....

Mick.

·
Registered
692 Posts
My best memories of mullet fishing was in 1980 fishing for the first time with Mr and Mrs Parr who I believe started the national mullet club we had a fishin at the Cuckmere haven and had the best fish of the day 4lb14oz thick lip
And the trips with the mullet club to Portland bill breakwaters, Southampton docks and the Brighton marina the first year it opened
Great days and great friends

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My best memories of mullet fishing was in 1980 fishing for the first time with Mr and Mrs Parr who I believe started the national mullet club we had a fishin at the Cuckmere haven and had the best fish of the day 5lb13oz thick lip
And the trips with the mullet club to Portland bill breakwaters, Southampton docks and the Brighton marina the first year it opened
Great days and great friends
I think the English record mullet was caught off pulpit rock in Portland Bill which stood for many years...mick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As a teenager in the '80s I used to regularly fish for mullet from the Torpoint ferry using a hand line, ball weight and small hook baited with a mixture of cotton wool and dough.
Mullet were always hanging about the side of the ferry, grazing on the algae that was growing on the hull.
I used to lean over the side of the pedestrian ramp where the giant chain disappeared inside the guts of the ferry.
The theory was that the cotton wool would bind the dough to the hook and stop the fish from stripping it. It worked pretty well, too.
A cloud of bread for groundbait would soon draw them and there'd soon be up to a dozen of them hoovering it off the slipway floor in the clear, shallow water. All you had to do was watch until one of them sucked the bait in and then drag them up, over the side to thrash about on the deck. Once landed 6 in one stop, which wasn't bad going as the ferry was only docked for about 10 minutes each time.
Used to draw quite a crowd of tourists and foot passengers. There were some big 'uns there, and I reckon that a few in excess of 6lb were pulled out. A lot is said about mullet having 'soft' lips, but they could easily be winched from the water, and very few used to fall off.
For some reason the Devonport side was always more productive than the Torpoint slipway, possibly because of less tidal pull.
Of course, this was a long time ago, when Health and Safety didn't exist. I'm sure if you tried it now, you'd soon get moved along.
Happy days!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Turnchapel MOD site, Plymouth 1980, as teens we used to fish off the pontoons, keeping one eye out for the MOD police boat so we could reel in and bug out. Always a lot of mullet about so I read up on how to fish for them. I had a kids rod and reel from Woolworths that my parents had bought for me when I was about 10, put a 6lb bs line on the reel, got some trout hooks and a quill float. Went down there on my own, not the wisest move but teenagers ;-). Chucked some bread crumbs in and stuck some bread that I had soaked in cooking oil and rolled into balls on the tiniest hooks I'd ever seen and just dropped the line into the murky depths. After about half an hour of knocks and rebaiting there was a good pull and then a real fight to get this little bugger in, the most fun I'd had fishing up till then. How I didn't lose it around the beams under the dock I do not know, but after a cracking battle it gave up and I brought it in. Unhooked it and lowered it back into the water, would have loved to carry on but I could see the MOD plod boat further up the river so packed up and skipped out.
Happy days! Now just starting to get back into fishing and going down the lure route, Turnchapel isn't MOD anymore so will have to see if I can get down there again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts