World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usualy fish Aberdaron beach in North Wales. The bass fishing has been good this year but just lately has tailed off. On my last session I only got a couple of dogs.
The conditions were flat calm, no swell and no wind. I was amazed to see several large mullet jumping clear of the water. I have also seen mullet, quite large ones around 4lb, caught in gill nets (heartbreaking but what can you do?). They are obviously there all the time but of course you never catch them using usual beach tactics.
My question is how do I fish for them? I have caught mullet in the med while on holiday and in the Menia Straights using course tactics. Fine line, small hooks and lots of ground bait. These tactics don't seem apropriate for the beach especialy if there is a bit of surf. Should I ground bait or would it just get washed away? Maybe a very light ledger? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi - try using a bunch of harbour ragworm on a size 2-4 hook. just set up a simple two hook flaper with a plain lead for some movement! also were i fish theres no need to cast far at all, just a lob into the surf providing its not to big. hope this helps!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Light ledger/paternoster sounds the way to go to me, but it's all a question of just what species the mullet are.

The harbour rag approach will most likely work if it's a sandy area and hence they're golden greys, but may also tempt thin lips (likely if there's a stream flowing into the beach that they work their way up) - but thick-lips, if present, will need something different.

Bread might work if there are thick-lips around - you can find out fairly quickly if it's a starter as it'll often be taken off the surface in calm conditions, but if anglers fish the area with large fish strips any thick-lips may have developed a taste for fish flesh. If that's likely to be the case, use a chunk with the minimum amount of skin attached, particularly over a green weed or pebble/rock bottom - just enough skin to keep the bait on the hook, and enough flesh to bury the hook into, as the flesh is what the fish graze over.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi

It all depends where you're fishing . If you're after "wild" sea mullet , i.e. not harbour dustbins, they need to be "educated" to take bread etc (usually done by hanging a bread net for several days beforehand) .

However, if you're visiting a remote place for the first time your best bet is to bait with their natural food , although this comprises mircoscopic creatures and plants which obviously are too small to stick on a hook.

My solution is to roll a bit of mud in some green slimy weed (the smellier the better), bonding it all together, (as mullet are often seen sucking on mud digesting out the microscopic food ), THEN, and this is the key to my success, marinate the ball in urine !

Mullet just love it and as they're often seen hanging around sewage outlets , this mixture really ticks all the boxes.

I could go on about mullet all day, but I hope this helps.

BASSTARD

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.
These are definatley "wild" mullet. Not sure which species as I have yet to catch one! I have a photo of one in a gill net, I will try to find it.
Its an open sandy beach and no harbour for miles. If there is a sewage outlet I don't know where it is. I will enquire in the village. I wouldn't be suprised if there was one out at sea somewhere as the village is in the bottom of a valley and it would be difficult to get the sewage out.
I am intrigued by your comments bass tard. If you want to go on about mullet for hours thats fine by me! I can just imagine the looks I will get urinating on my bait!
Someone has suggested a small mepps with the weight and treble removed and a small single hook attached on a 2" trace. A bit of bait, maybe a peice of rag is put on the hook and this is then fished under a float. Anyone tried this off a beach for mullet?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts