World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a frustrating problem. I live near a muddy estuary with a healthy mullet population. Every day they appear as the tide starts to come in, and feed in about 1-2ft of water, foraging in the weed or rooting in the mud. I can see them only 5-6ft away from me and some are quite sizeable, well over 5lbs. I have caught many types of sea fish but never mullet. I have researched the tactics and most advice recommends light float tackle and bread flakes. However, this is very difficult when the shoal is in 1-2 ft of water, as there may be no clearance for a float rig to function without catching in weed. The tide tends to run swiftly enough too, and what generally happens is that the float speeds off and passes through the shoal in a matter of seconds. I did manage to hook one once but as you can guess he didn't stay on too long. I am aware that small wide shanked hooks and 5-6lb line are the order of the day, but it's the problem of bait presentation that is the showstopper at the moment.
All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Brandon. :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Brandon.
In a situation like the one you discribed i think the best solution would be to fish Maddies on the bottom. Just a simple running ledger rig with a strong fine wire hook of size 1 or 2 maybe bigger.Simply head hook the maddies until you have a fair sized bunch,and lob in. or dbl them up and rehook.
Hope this helps.!
It works for Golden Greys.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ledgering would be the best method, could also pick up a few bass whilst fishing for mullet.
An alternative is using a bubble float in shallow water, works well when mullet are feeding on the surface at dusk and dawn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts