World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone out there give me some advice on where to catch mullet in the South wales area. I have seen them down at ogmore and heard that they can also be caught from shore towards Barry. Any advice will be a great help.
Cheers :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
The long arm in Port Talbot, absolutely teeming with mullet at the moment, going around in gangs of 10 !!!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Wats the best end of the dock for them Phil i may have a go next week for them.

Poutingking let us know how you get on mate. ( double figure mullet sounds nice)good luck

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Poutingking said:
Could anyone out there give me some advice on where to catch mullet in the South wales area. I have seen them down at ogmore and heard that they can also be caught from shore towards Barry. Any advice will be a great help.
Cheers :)
Bloody things are everywhere, mocking me from the surf as I'm blanking on the beach :(

G

·
lunkercodbendmyrod said:
Thanks Phil do you mean if in front of morrisons right down to the left past the flats cheers.
Before you get to morrisons, there is a roundabout where you go straight for the next roundabout for M, it is at that first one, turn left, down a short road and the dock is in front of you, turn left with the flats on your left, go up to the end and you will see a fishing platform, try there! I also have had some bass from there as well as pollack, have seen a thornback ray on the surface!

·
Registered
31 Posts
hi all just been down BARRY DOCKS llol not the best place to fish but u never know but u can be lucky well i was lol i had a seven pound mullet on a small leger about i oz and a rig with one hook on . i had a light very light rod a small telecsopic which cost me six pound and a reel ... took me a bit to bring them in once it got snagged to in a pipe u could see it it was it about 1 foot of water were it got snagged i was gutted left it for a few minites and it ran out of the snag his self i was chufed ! seven pound it was great light tackle is always the best for me give it ago i garentee u will catch , hope this helped . also i caught it on rag worm !!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Had a mullet of about 4lb on a maggot feeder when after chub on the river taff in the summer. Size 12 hook, 3lb hooklength and a twelve foot quiver tip rod the fish fought like a demon for about 20 mins before it even came close to being netted- fantastic fighting fish if hooked on lightish gear... :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi mate,

Im going back a few years but i doubt it has changed.

I used to fish Fontygary bay alot, I used to fish off a large flat rock at the top of the tide line, Was sheltered and dry and a good mark for the float fishing on a good tide. There is a small bay there with the cliff on your right hand side.
Make your way along the cliff to your right and about half way down you will find a sharp crevice cut in to the cliff like a V shape. There is a small ledge there you can sit on.

Use coarse tackle if you admit to having any, 5 or 6 pound line straight through and a small light float.
For bait, they wont touch fish or worm for any reason I caught 40 or 50 there over 5 years and only on the same bait. They seem to love flour mixed with pilchard or cod liver oil mixed in to a paste. Use a size 8 hook and cover the entire barb as they won't touch it otherwise. Dont fish more than a foot away from the rocks and only onehour before and after high water. If this doesn't get you a nice mullet Ill hang up my rods. Saying that this seemed to be a summer mark for the mullet for some reason. You are getting alittle late in the year for getting them here. Let me know how you do.

P.S You will be fishing directly beneath yourself so dont strike to hard or youll be havbng mullet lips for tea!

Smallest one I had there was 2 lb so they are a good size too.

Tight Lines Peoples:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts