World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do I begin ???

For years now I have been toying with the idea of having a serious attempt for mullet (thicklips), but you know how it's like ... there just aren't enough hours in the day to try everything, so I haven't quite got around to it.

Well, after spotting several mullet in a local harbour toady I am tempted once more to have a go...

I think I know what I need to do - groundbait (bread, lots of it, and not just on the day of fishing), light tackle (6lb line, flourocarbon hooklengths, size 10 hooks).

Question is: I am tempted by a bit of float fishing, but the freshwater floats and associated language is all foreign to me. I see that Crystal Wagglers get mentioned quite often, so I decided to do a litlle checking around and found out there are wagglers and 'loaded wagglers'- can anyone explain ??? Also, how do I set up with the waggler float ? Is it a simple sliding float set up, or is there something more to it ? And what about 'shotting' ? where do I put them ?

Any other tips from mullet experts would be very welcome.

Cheers all - with these small points cleared up I will have no excuse for not actually getting out there and finally having a go for the mythical mullet.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
i'm gona try for mullet this year, i do alot of coarse fishing, i would probably recommend the crystal wagglers, they are hollow plastic flots that offer the greatest bouyancyfor size, try some of the pole fishing hook lengths, pre-stretched mone. it's great.
As for pre loaded i would probaly go for un-loaded waggers, gives more weighting options. i've tried using this light kit before but found it useless in the sea, but i'm hoping to crack it soon.
Tozer

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Hi Manx.
Here goes...bear with me.
Loaded wagglers have some weight at the eye to enable the float to partially ****,the amount of the tip left showing is then set by adding more weight down the line.
Any float you get will have a shot rating on it.This is the amount of weight needed
to **** it,eg.3AA, 6BB etc. This rating can be made up by chopping and changing the size of shot to reach the required total.
The "bulk"of the shot is placed round the float eye to lock it in place.
The rest is dotted down the line to help achieve the rate of descent of your bait through the water.
The more weight down nearer the hook, the quicker it will reach the required fishing depth.
If you have a smaller weight lower down you increase your chances of getting bites as your bait falls through the water(catching on the drop).
Hope this helps mate.
Terry F.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys.

Tozer - keep us updated on your progress. I am sure that a background in coarse fishing will give you all the tools to successfully approach mullet fishing. Being more used to heavy tackle and bullying fish from rock marks leaves me with a steep learning curve.

Terryf - Thanks for the explanation, I think I now see how it all works. Would I be right in thinking then that the bulk shot is fastened either side of the float, thus locking it in place, effectively becomming a 'fixed' rather than 'sliding' set up?

I just know there are many hours of frustration and dissappointment ahead of me, but I'm sure it will be fun :D

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Thats right Manx,,after the bulk has fixed and cocked the float,the rest of the shot is used to set the amount of tip showing above the water.(dotting down)
Try a bodied waggler(thicker at the bottom than the tip)and if you need any more info just give me a shout.
Hope this helps mate,
Terry F.

P.s. I would definately use a fluorocarbon hooklength(less visible) but it must be of a lower diameter than your mainline to avoid tangles.
Also make sure the bread is pinched onto the hook to remove the air.It can be moulded over the hookpoint in a "pasty"shape as it will easily pull through the bait on the strike.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I hope so mate, i'm in and around the straights, i havn't noticed much mullet activity yet, but with all the muddy inlets, bays and harbours it looks like i'm gonn have my time cut out!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think that with the big decline in all other species, Mullet will be the only fish left in numbers for anglers to go for. what worries me, is how long will the commercials leave them alone, when they run out of other fish?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry to go off topic (and on my own thread as well !!!), but this does seem an opportune moment to make this comment...

kentangler said:
I think that with the big decline in all other species, Mullet will be the only fish left in numbers for anglers to go for. what worries me, is how long will the commercials leave them alone, when they run out of other fish?

All the more reason for everyone to pay up and become a member of NFSA.

·
Registered
21 Posts
hi lads i have been mullet bashing for a while now with some cracking results my one and only rig is a 12 inch float that takes 6 aaa and a size 12 hook and a sliding stop not made from the line off my reel it works every time hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Catch22

Welcome to the forum. I posted this so long ago that I had forgotten all about it... and now I feel very guilty for not getting around to trying for mullet at all this year (there were always other fish begging to be caught...)

I promise myself every year that I will make a serious effort for them, but it seems like yet another year has gone by. For sure next year !!!

Your picture helps me with one thing - mullet do feed in the dark then.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Get yourself a light float rod and just use it in the sea. Forget, for a while, about targetting Mullet and just try for a Wrasse or Pollack off a rock mark. Decide on the drop you can handle (I set the float up near the top ring and therefore can have the hook at least 15' down! I bought and Assasin 2 from Leeda for about £35 (Malcom's shop!) and use worm or crab mostly.

You don't need expensive floats and even quills with two rubber float caps (pieces of rubber tubing about 4mms long threaded onto the line and then pushed over the float top and bottom trapping the line I use 6lb stuff) As TerryF said experiment with the amount of shot you need plus the bait to **** the float and just let it drift around the rock! Bigger the bait/further you need to cast, bigger the float. I've graduated to wagglers (have a body on a longish central 'stick') Self-cocking floats allow you to sometimes get away with having no other weight other than the little peeler or wriggling ragworm(s) Mustad do a great litttle crab hook (blue, thin wire) but I also get into the Fresh water sections and have found Raptors! Use them as you would Circle hooks now, on the beachcaster! Float fishing, lightweight style works best for me in calm weather next to deepish water. However if you use your 'fish-sense' you'll find ways of adapting it to fish most spots. Caught a good bass along time ago using crab under a float, meant for Flounder, amongst rising Knotted Wrack almost at high water on an old Roach rod. It charged around like a barracuda!!!!!! Give it a go!1

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
great topic guys i should have asked all these questions yesterday before i went mullet fishing

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't remember when I first read your fine article Leon. Thanks to the info obtained from that and other sources I've surely got the theory side all sorted, and I've even got all the toys, but I never quite get around to finding the time to put it into practice...

I'm sure all that stands between me and catching my first mullet is devoting the time and effort to it.

I quite like your idea Swellyman of effectively using my mullet tackle (as yet unused) for 'normal' fishing. It would certainly help to familiarise myself with the alien tackle - see I have found yet another excuse to procrastinate :D

P

·
0 Posts
You can also use sliding floats to great effect. This is the method I normally use in the sea. It is effective to depths of over 25'. I normally use the waggler type floats that you can insert a chemical light in the top, ideal for night fishing as well and very hypnotic!

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
I agree with Manxy, what a great article! Lots i'd read before but masses of new stuff. Well it is a collection of ideas! I particularly liked the 'Rubby-dubby-bread-bag' It must be possible to modify the idea for most species particularly off a pier (Ok tell me you've all been using it for yonks!) or even a deep water rock mark. I certainly think that the proximity of crab pots to fishing marks is not all bad, well 1% good anyway!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hi terry(manx fisher)
we get mullet in the harbour in ramsey..might be a better place to get them as its deeper than laxey harbour..i think, we also get them on the north pier when the tide is on its way out..they hang around the bottom down near the rocks an u also get them up the sulby river at full tide...tried in the summer to get one but failed.

Thanks
Dan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts