World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Barry Lead Head
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started off that i got offered a free sailing trip for a week around the south coast which i happily accepted as a week away from work was a great idea, i took the opportunity to take my light gear with me and any chance i got i would av a bash on the mullet, the weather was really bad this week and we didn't get chance to sail for the first three days which to be honest i was not bothered at all, i've never even sailed before, soon as i got onto the jetties the mullet were just happily swimming around not shy at all. I got my light gear set up for mullet straight away with a normal flaot trace, i ground baited up around half a loaf of kingsmill which was great for ground bait but ****e for holding on the hook, it wasn't long before i was into my first landed mullet Water Smile Fisherman Fish Fin
which was a nice little scrap followed by a missed mullet :( but then i landed another Fish Watch Hat Fin Fisherman
then another Fisherman Outdoor recreation Smile Fish Fishing
i lost another two but landed another one, the pic aint to great, its on my albums tho if you wanna av a look,

next day i had a quick bash and landed this nice one Water Vertebrate Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Fisherman Shorts
it gave a really good fight and took an initial run under a yacht and a jettie which was hard going to get it back into open waters i thought i was going to lose this one because i could feel the line rubbing on the yacht and jettie but after a nice battle i came out ontop.

I had one more bash the following morning which resulted in this nice mullet View attachment 58105 it didn't run much but refused to come to the surface, after a while it came to the net and that was that. all in all i landed six and lost 3 ( biggest about 4.5 lb NO SCALES, if you could can you help me i'd these mullet as i've only ever targeted thick lips and one or two may be a thin lip as i've never really noticed before cheers. i know its not a south wales catch report but it may give you a good read if your bored cheers again. and don't forget you rods if you go anywhere cos u never know when you get a good opportunity. :victory:

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Proper fisherman is ol milo. Whenever his Mrs is not looking he's off to play with a rod in his hand well done bud fantastic pics and some nice fish great report too.

·
Barry Lead Head
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Proper fisherman is ol milo. Whenever his Mrs is not looking he's off to play with a rod in his hand well done bud fantastic pics and some nice fish great report too.
cheers bud just read about your trip down torquay craking trip nine species too great. i went down that way with the misses but she said " if you bring your rods i'll kill you " so i had to stare atthe nice greny blue water for a week wondering what if haha cheers again

·
Barry Lead Head
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good mulleting mate, thats what you call making most of the weather haha

gazza
hia mate haha, twas good to meet you the other week heard you had a NOT SO GOOD sesh down the white light when i left there, it has its days down there i blanked down there last week too see u again bud cheers for the reply,!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
hia mate haha, twas good to meet you the other week heard you had a NOT SO GOOD sesh down the white light when i left there, it has its days down there i blanked down there last week too see u again bud cheers for the reply,!
yeah it was dire to say the least, and friars last night wasnt much better, 1 dog and a tackle hungry snag that had me 3 times!!! never lost that amount down there!!! must have been the n.e. winds putting my bait WAY TO FAR OUT hahahahahahaha. nevermind thats angling. will sort a sesh out soon when things do start picking up.

·
Barry Lead Head
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah it was dire to say the least, and friars last night wasnt much better, 1 dog and a tackle hungry snag that had me 3 times!!! never lost that amount down there!!! must have been the n.e. winds putting my bait WAY TO FAR OUT hahahahahahaha. nevermind thats angling. will sort a sesh out soon when things do start picking up.
i'm out sunday somewhere in barry don't wanna give away exact position yet tho lol

·
Team Loonz
8,201 Posts
nice session mate and some nice fish looks like u had some excellent sport,never a dull moment when the mullet are there,well done

·
Barry Lead Head
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A crackin report there fella, sounds and looks like you had some good fun and sport pullin those mullet out
Have never ever targetted them so i dont know what i'm missin
Perhaps you'll show me 1 day
Well done m8
there's prob some good marks down your way too, i will warn u tho once u catch your first nice mullet it can be pretty addictive. its a shame there not nice to eat but then again if they were would there be any left ? i'll take you out just bring some beers haha

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Well done bud good report and Pic’s I think I’m going to have to start targeting these mullet as I’ve yet to catch one, I’m down south in 2 weeks for 9 days in Brixham think I’ll throw in some light tackle and give them a go.

When you float fish for them is it a case of finding the correct depth or do you fish the bread flake on the bottom?

Tight lines Matt.H

·
Barry Lead Head
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well done bud good report and Pic’s I think I’m going to have to start targeting these mullet as I’ve yet to catch one, I’m down south in 2 weeks for 9 days in Brixham think I’ll throw in some light tackle and give them a go.

When you float fish for them is it a case of finding the correct depth or do you fish the bread flake on the bottom?

Tight lines Matt.H
thats the way mate bit of bread as bait spend the rest on beer :yeah: there are some nice areas around brixham i'd take some feathers and a set of spinners for bass too, there are 1 or 2 good tackle shops around brixham pier.

·
Barry Lead Head
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sorry mate forgot to answere your above question, the way i see it there are three ways to use your bread bait and thats :-

FLOATING CRUST- somtimes the mullet feed on the surface so attach the bread to the hooks in such a way that it will float on the surface allowing mullet to take it. just squeeze the piece of bread to the hooks and leave the rest of your bread fluffy.(trial and error)

OPPORTUNITY FISHING- its what i think is like fly fishing where you cast floating crust or sinking bait(around 2 feet) as close to the nearest feeding mullet around the area at the time and hope your bait sinks or floats and attracts their attention. (very succesfull for me at times)

SINKING BAITS - either ledger the bottom ( never tried this) or on the float change the depth to suit the situation at the time either on the bottom or whatever depth gets the mullet on your bread. hope this helps cheers

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
sorry mate forgot to answere your above question, the way i see it there are three ways to use your bread bait and thats :-

FLOATING CRUST- somtimes the mullet feed on the surface so attach the bread to the hooks in such a way that it will float on the surface allowing mullet to take it. just squeeze the piece of bread to the hooks and leave the rest of your bread fluffy.(trial and error)

OPPORTUNITY FISHING- its what i think is like fly fishing where you cast floating crust or sinking bait(around 2 feet) as close to the nearest feeding mullet around the area at the time and hope your bait sinks or floats and attracts their attention. (very succesfull for me at times)

SINKING BAITS - either ledger the bottom ( never tried this) or on the float change the depth to suit the situation at the time either on the bottom or whatever depth gets the mullet on your bread. hope this helps cheers
Nice one bud i'm defo going to try a few of those i try and spend about a week or 2 every year down brixham and have seen some cracking fish in the harbour around the fish market,

Thanks for the info bud.

Tight lines Matt.H

1 - 20 of 22 Posts