World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Mullet

541 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  TonyD 
#1 ·
Congaqueen and I are planning to target mullet at some point over the weekend. We have identified a very good mark with fish in abundance but having never caught one we thought we would seek advice from our learned friends on the forum for any tips, tactics, baits and rigs. Any advice greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
loaf of bread bubble float and braid mate. Bubble float is just to help the cast. You could use a chubber float if you have one. 3ft from the float tie a hook on size 6ish. cover the hook in the bread like you where making a pasty. cast over the fish and drag it back over them.
Ground baiting is very popular. Blend a loaf of bread up and mix it into balls at your mark. Throw the balls is as the tide is rising. The idea is it gets them on the feed but its not enough to fill the fish up as it's liquidised.

There is a method of spining for them but you have to build the spinner your self as you dont see them in the shops. can't quite remember the style. I'm sure I'v got it here somewere I'll have a look.

Another option is to catch them on the fly rod. Ground bait with maggots and chopped worm 1st. The fly you need will imitate a maggot.

#3 ·
only caught one mullet, that was at ogmore estuary. he took a bunch of maddies on a 3 hook flapper, nearly pulled the rod in the water, one hell of a scrap!!! make sure you hold on tight!!!!!!

#4 ·
groundbait is the key, i use flaked barley mushed up mackerel with punch crumb and pilchard oil, you cant beat it, also try pop up fake bread on a size 10 hair rig for your hook bait because it stays on the hook longer and the smaller mullet cant strip your hooks like real bread. good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.