World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hope i dont upset anyone if they are not seen as edible fish,but are they taken for the table,if so do what do they taste like.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
pmsl! yeah only tried eating one golden grey when i was a kid
and it was fugging awful!
havnt tried it since but more due to me not being able
to bring my self to bash it!
have tried red mullet (totaly diffrent shape fish) and it was
lurvly!
off subject but think on britains menu (cooking program about 6.00pm on 2)
sombody preping spider crab for the fish course
tomorrow maybe worth a look for thos
of us that get plaged by them late summer?

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
i cooked a mullet i caught. it was horrible!!! just tastes like mud, weed and shlt!! lol

they are only a sport fish mate! thats why you rarely see them on the mongers slab!

Jamie

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
yeh agree with geffaz red mullet is very nice.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i was watching river cottage on sky,the presenter cant recall his name caught 2 bass and a mullet all caught from the shore said it tasted nice,but this is coming from a guy who forages for his food.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Used to eat quite a few open sea mullet when I was much younger and they were around in huge numbers. They taste delicious if cooked properly. Wouldn't eat one out of the river though.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
last one i ate i cought oposite the half brick pub (shows how long ago it was)
and it was gross, tho at that age i new jack about cooking so
simply stuffed it with savoury rice and slammed it in the oven!
cant see my self giving it another try!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have eaten mulllet on a number of occasions i have found that younger ones around 2lbs taste better than older 4lbs+ i think they have a meaty flavour not the muddy flavour that everyone talks about. Try them they are nice and they are abundant so no guilt factor.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Mullet are like flounder in that, if you eat them from a muddy estuary or near a sewage pipe and they will taste like that, spooky eh?

Eat them from over clean sand and they taste fine.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
If you realy want to eat a mullet,I sugest as soon as you land it,then gut it,then as soon as your home fillet the fish then place the fillets in salted water overnight.(this will help to draw the muddieness out of the flesh.
I haven't eaten one for years but from what I can remember it's quite an oily fish,but o.k
Spratty

·
Registered
150 Posts
The flavour of grey mullet is a bit strong for some people, but it is quite a meaty fish and good for fish curries or sweet n sour. I rarely take one for the pot, mainly because they are a slow-growing fish and worth more to me as sport fish than as grub.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
The ones I've caught have all been caught off the back of the boat while moored in French marinas on a sandy bottom and they tasted really good. I guess they don't leave such a ready food source as the sides of the pontoons.

The marinas in question have all been gated and had a no onboard toilet use policy which probably helped.

G

·
Last year my wife and i went out to a fantastc fish restaurant in Poole (The Storm - lots of fish caught by the owner!). I had the bass which was fantastic and she had the mullet - baked fillets with parma ham and mozarella cheese - i was dubious knowing their eating habits and having heard 'muddy' stories etc - i tried hers though and it was delicious!

I've been catching a few mullet from the open sea on the fly and returning them so i decided to keep one and try it.

I got it home and firstly scaled it:uhuh:...ALWAYS scale mullet before bringing them home - it takes a minute rather than half and hour cleaning the kitchen afterwards. I then filleted it - from a four pound mullet you get two good sides each of which cut into 2 reasonable fillets. The other fillets i froze - this works as long as when you want to use them, you thaw them slowly in the fridge.

Anyway - not having the budget for parma ham etc i decided to use peppery salami and cheddar! Skin side down - three or four thin slices of salami on top, covered with thinly sliced cheddar then sprinkled with a little salt and bleck pepper. Fill the baking tray around the fillets with veg - half tomatoes/slices of courgette/chunks of green pepper/mushrooms etc and bake for thirty to thirty five minutes at gas 6 - served with rice - I now find it hard to beat - right that's it where's my fly rod??? atb g. :)

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
i was watching river cottage on sky,the presenter cant recall his name caught 2 bass and a mullet all caught from the shore said it tasted nice,but this is coming from a guy who forages for his food.
His name is Hugh Ferrnly-Whittingstall I like his prog Rick Stien is my favorite chef for fish his books are great IMO

As said by others Mullet is very tasty but only from clean waters not from sewer outlets etc

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.