World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
I have been using fixed spools from the shore for my whole life and am currently hitting 150+ in the field.
I have recently purchased 2 x SL30SH which I have loaded with 30lb mono for fishing rough ground and since, my pendulum cast has come on quite abit and so I am seriously considering switching to multis.
My question is, does the SL30SH have the potential to reach similar distances to my fixed spools or should I be looking at upgrading?
I have my eyes on a couple of Penn 525 mag 2, but I also like the look of the Millionaire 7HT mag...
What are people's thoughts?
Thanks

·
Banned
14,950 Posts
Well iv seen loads and loads of people saying on here that the 525 2's break easily, I'm sure other will tell u in more detail but iv even seen comments from blackdog on here saying he's received loads that need repairing lol

·
Registered
12,998 Posts
For rough ground and distance - stick with the FS and braid.
Most use 50lb (US breaking), 100-120lb braid casting leader, short mono rubbing leader outside tip rings.
Braid on multis is doable, but I would not advise for really smacking it in most fishing scenarios.

Most casting reels are totally unsuitable for rough ground, so keep them for the field.

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For rough ground and distance - stick with the FS and braid.
Most use 50lb (US breaking), 100-120lb braid casting leader, short mono rubbing leader outside tip rings.
Braid on multis is doable, but I would not advise for really smacking it in most fishing scenarios.

Most casting reels are totally unsuitable for rough ground, so keep them for the field.
Cheers pal. Looking for clean ground beach multis really

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Wouldn't go for braid on multis for beach distance fishing. Look at Abu 6500. I have two of the Penn mag 2s and think they are great. Just give em a service once in a while as they aren't 100% water tight like a slosh. I use an Abu sports mag 6500 and a mag 2 515 for lighter stuff. 15lb mono, lovely.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Don't be tempted to use braid on multis for beach fishing Dave ........ beds in terribly and leads to all sorts of problems.

I've got both the 525 and 7HT Mags so you're more than welcome to have a go with 'em next time we catch up.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Braids more ok on narrower spooled multipliers as you can get dig in on wider ones id not try it for clean beach fishing where need real distance but for rough ground work is ok as long as watch what your doing winding in spread straight across spool from one side to other in one go unlike you norm do with mono lessens line bedding in
Ive a few i have on braid 535 mag mk1's on heavy braid work ok for likes of dover pier.Speedy TSM11CFS on 20lb dynon works good 2oz weight on bass rod with sabikis get fair distance
Much is in prep as wind on tightly to start and if hauling something big in like ball of weed! re lay line till find it smooth again if looks like bedded in

I'd not be full pendulum casting but a reasonable cast is ok if set up and watch reel when casting.

If not it's a grinder set up for you.
Slo30SH is a very capable reel along with it's smaller brother not the ultimate distance reel but up there with all the other fishing reels and probably outlast many! if you wanted to play more could mono mag them? but don't really need to plus some good distances been cast on them plus many good fish caught! which is more to the point it's only down side is height of reel for thumb control if have big enough hands no problem but for shore work more id go with the SL20SH they also have a newer version to.

525 mag mk2's have QC issues so varied between them as some have line down side of spool others not.some have spool rubbing and so many other things go wrong for the price theres far better The fathom for one knocks it totally into a cocked hat pee's all over it from a great height! so why buy yourself problems?

Small 65 size multi's id go with the Akios 656CTM a great all rounder as £100 or less mag knob on side good retrieve

Another thing with braids there are various types the harder/stiffer types are more multi friendly the soft types bed in more mind also pick up on fixed spools also as it's going across braid as leaves spool need likes of 8 strand or fused

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
There's always one clown that disagrees yet dosent give an opinion
Hi,

i don't think it makes someone a clown to disagree with something like "Multi will cast further" ... no reel wil cast further, the caster's ability does! ;)

Gert

·
Premium Member
18,120 Posts
Hi,

i don't think it makes someone a clown to disagree with something like "Multi will cast further" ... no reel wil cast further, the caster's ability does! ;)

Gert
Well at least you have an opinion which is good but to disagree with someone without having an opinion in my eyes he's a clown:). But as a rule of thumb a multi will cast further than a fixed spool

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hi Bazzer,
First things first, why are you using braid? If it is to gain distance with light weights then you are probably best off sticking with a fixed spool, but if you are using weights of 4oz and above over clean ground then a small baitcaster loaded with modern low diameter mono will probably get you the same distances, if you do your part!
The problem with multi's and braid is that the braid can get between the spool and frame wrapping up on the spool spindle, this I have seen resulting in an ABU 6500 spool departing from the reel and smashing the first rod guide during a pendulum cast! You can up your braid diameter to prevent this but then you lose the distance and tide cutting advantage.
I have had Abu 6500's and Slosh20 and can say that the Slosh is easy to use and predictable, however it has a heavier fixed carbon spool and spindle configuration which loses quite a bit of distance due to the inertia required to get the spool to get up to speed compared to an ABU or Akios.
I have both reels loaded with the same line and get about an extra 50m on a big cast (150m +)using the Abu, however with an on shore wind both reels will cast about the same as I would have to slow the Abu down to prevent over runs. The Slosh's require less maintenance than the Abu/Akios's but nothing to worry about, all my reels after every use get a rinse ASAP with hot'ish water, this dissolves salt better and cold, and a full strip down re grease etc. about 3 times a year.
So in answer to your question..... yes a Slosh 30 could do the same distance as your braid and fixed spool but it would be a lot more hard work! A lighter baitcaster 6500 size with sensible mono will do 150m easier than the slosh.
Which should you buy? If it were me and clean ground only then either Akios or Abu 6500.

ATVB
Splish

G

·
Hi Dave,

I think braided line is wonderful on FS's but on multi's I don't think you'll achieve greater distance and you may well damage your reel when it goes wrong if the breaking strain is a strong one. I have used braid on my shimano trinidads and it was ok with a very controlled cast, the same with an abu 6500 hi speed. You will need your reels to run a bit slower too as the braid seems to come off the spool faster than mono.

For clean ground mag elites or hi speeds were lovely, but i'd never take them off the rocks. I had 525 mag 2's for a few months (I preferred the older 525 supermags which felt more robust). I think they are value at £100 but after using a Saltist 20bg I whacked my mag2's on ebay.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
If you're getting 150yds with an F/S it just begs the question"Why do you want to change to a multi'?"
If you are keen to improve your distance in the field you might be able to add a few feet using a well tuned multiplier,but that depends on your ability to both tune and use it properly.Whatever your intentions I would advise steering clear of braid for distance casting on a multi' - it's way too expensive to be used for building birds nests!
If you're determined to use braid for fishing then stick with your fixed spools,switching to a multiplier will not do anything to improve your catch rate.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Well at least you have an opinion which is good but to disagree with someone without having an opinion in my eyes he's a clown:). But as a rule of thumb a multi will cast further than a fixed spool
Maybe 10 years ago I'd have to agree with you...since euro style rods and long spool reels have been introduced I've seen many multi users switch to fs in certain areas..fs rod design has changed.the ring lay out for instance...I've never fished using a multi but would like to one day give it ago. ..I'm lazy and like to be in the water rather then unwinding birds nests..have to agree that it's the person casting create the distance tho..one a good day I can do around 130 using fs....I'm sure it's a different ball game with a multi so I'd probably end up in the car park!

But I'm still a clown...:-D

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
One more very important thing to add is 'its not always about the distance'

Go to your mark when the sea is out..look for spots where the fish are most likely to feed..runs channels grassy patches etc..you can do this on Google earth or forums if you are too far away...most find they blank as they are simply casting over the feeding grounds....Clevedon is a classic example..I've seen many good fish being reeled in from 50 yards off the wall

·
Registered
593 Posts
hi mikey,, i disageed with your comment... if you went back a few years id have probably agreed,,, but that was all about ability of the caster and poor design of a fs reel ,im fairly competent with both reels but for us mere mortals the birth of the long rod and the coned spool with braid...the average caster could easily reach or better his own distances they could with a multiplier..

·
Premium Member
18,120 Posts
hi mikey,, i disageed with your comment... if you went back a few years id have probably agreed,,, but that was all about ability of the caster and poor design of a fs reel ,im fairly competent with both reels but for us mere mortals the birth of the long rod and the coned spool with braid...the average caster could easily reach or better his own distances they could with a multiplier..
Fair play to you m8 you could be right, just my opinion but over the years of fishing iv always got more distance with a multi, to be honest I don't use them myself at all these days I'm more of a fixed spool guy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.