World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took 3 of the unbreakable/lifetime guarantee/ travel rods to norway last week. And guess what? they all snapped on the first day out on the tip section. Clue here the colour is between black and white and begins with G. Anyone else had a problem with these rods?

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
Oh yes. Went back as unfit for purpose. Refused to accept a repair or replacement and got my money back.
I wouldn't touch another Greys rod if it was offered for free.

·
Registered
827 Posts
i've got a greys but have never used it and never will now!!! I always take my 2 sect rods in a bazooka tube and got the greys for backup just in case the bazooka goes walkies! dont sound like its much of a backup unless fishing for dabs!!!!! anyone interested in a cheap travel rod!!!::whistling

·
Read Only
14,609 Posts
2nd vote for snowbee, had a 3 piece that lasted 10 years of solid heavy use salmon to 20lbs+ etc, got it replaced no problems with a deep blue travel wasnt sure about it at first now I think for plugs dexters etc its great, they do do a heavier casting one, think its 60-100gram.

·
Registered
12,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Must admit All the snowbee stuff looks good on paper As did the Greys products. So calling Dave from the rother ex NFA president and all round good guy Have you an opinion on the Snowbee products? Back in the day it was all Normark 12 ft ers AND waggler to the far bank Loose fed caster with maggot on the hook, Times change as does sea fishing tackle technology. The Greys excursion rods (3) we took to Norway all snapped on the first day therfore putting a blight on the proceedings. Apart from mr Panama can anyone reccomend a decent rod that will handle the rigours of overseas boat fishing (esp Norway) Cheers Plummy.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
imo-brill value for money and covers most boat situations,i have one and love it and the price-just arrived on the market- BISON MULTI TIP BOAT PIER SPIN TRAVEL ROD & TUBE-usual action site.
not so keen on the spin side but worth a look.
i have plenty to say about greys but all bad.

·
Registered
12,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input guys. so the general opinion is that the Greys rods are not up to the task? I have found out today that DESPITE the lifetime gaurantee on these (unbreakable) multi piece Excursion rods There may be trouble getting a refund. In over 40 years of fishing i have only ever Snapped 1 rod But to Snap 3 rods on their first outing????? Methinks something may be amiss.:ahhh::cry:

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. so the general opinion is that the Greys rods are not up to the task? I have found out today that DESPITE the lifetime gaurantee on these (unbreakable) multi piece Excursion rods There may be trouble getting a refund. In over 40 years of fishing i have only ever Snapped 1 rod But to Snap 3 rods on their first outing????? Methinks something may be amiss.:ahhh::cry:
Something's definately not right there. Were they bought together and maybe a bad batch? Good luck changing them, and with the money refunded maybe there's a custom builder around who could make something up a bit special.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Maybe worth doing a search here on the forums, Nick.

I was searching for something the other day, and I'm sure I stumbled across a few other comments around Greys travel rods snapping. Can't remember exactly where, but a search should help.

Armed with that, I can't see how Greys can refuse a refund. Especially seen as they supposedly aim to be so "high-end".

Good luck!

·
Registered
339 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Recieved a full refund this morning:victory: And Bill thanks for the advice. cheers lads NP.
My pleasure Nick - glad you got it sorted. :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Nick

The Shimano travel rods all get great reviews and have a big Norway following.
Also, don't discount the Penn range.
I only use Penn travel rods for all my (non big game) boat fishing at home and abroad.
6/12, 12/20 and 20/30 I have a suite of 4 piece Penn Waveblasters. Now in their 3rd year and very abused each having taken improbably large fish and getting no TLC.
The action is every bit as good as a 2 piece and they break down to fit into a hand luggage sized case.
I think the only compromise against a 2 piece is that they weigh a little more, but that is forgotten once your arms are aching from the fish you are catching.
Cheap as chips too. When I got mine they had an RRP somewhere around £160, but they can be picked up around the £80 mark now.

·
Registered
12,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nick

The Shimano travel rods all get great reviews and have a big Norway following.
Also, don't discount the Penn range.
I only use Penn travel rods for all my (non big game) boat fishing at home and abroad.
6/12, 12/20 and 20/30 I have a suite of 4 piece Penn Waveblasters. Now in their 3rd year and very abused each having taken improbably large fish and getting no TLC.
The action is every bit as good as a 2 piece and they break down to fit into a hand luggage sized case.
I think the only compromise against a 2 piece is that they weigh a little more, but that is forgotten once your arms are aching from the fish you are catching.
Cheap as chips too. When I got mine they had an RRP somewhere around £160, but they can be picked up around the £80 mark now.
Nice one Tom. Many thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts