World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Multiplier 4 rough ground please

1K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  loonytoonz 
#1 ·
Hi lads can eney of u lads gide me on a good multiplier 4 rough ground filey brigg and so on needs to cast 30 pound line:unsure: To fit a zziplex LT 14 .Tanks

#8 ·
How far do you think you can cast with a reel of 30-35lb mainline? The reel will still hold nearly 200 yards of line, and generally heavier line is only used over roughground or extremely weedy marks where distance casting is not so much of an issue anyway. There are plenty of people who use the 525 with 30lb mono on it.

#9 ·
525, use superbraid (fusion technology 50lb bs), my choice Fireline yellow, you will need to learn how to cast with this stuff, it has the distinct advantage over monofilament of floating. It is sensitive enough to see a prawn fart, and the direct contact with the terminal tackle has to be felt - astonishing. As the stuff floats it acts like a leadlift, once your lead is moving you should get it back.

philtherod

#10 ·
I have thought about using braid for beach work, although was but off by its its abrasion resistance and the fact many people say its dangerous. I dont know if it is, but i have only used braid for casting on a fixed spool or for casting short distances uptide (only lobbing). I can imagine though that it would improve casting distance and perhaps irradicate need for a shockleader, instead using it as more of a rubbing leader if needed. Could you please help me on this one Phil?

#14 ·
How far do you think you can cast with a reel of 30-35lb mainline? The reel will still hold nearly 200 yards of line, and generally heavier line is only used over roughground or extremely weedy marks where distance casting is not so much of an issue anyway. There are plenty of people who use the 525 with 30lb mono on it.
Its not the distance that is the point, if your fishing rough ground then you need to get the end tackle up and away from snags quickly if you've used 30lb line on a 525 it will even with a normal distance of cast the spool will be nearly empty, what this then means is that as the spool is nearly empty the spool is also smaller in diameter (due to lack of line) this means that less line is retreived with each turn of the handle/spool increasing the liklyhood of a snag. using 30lb line a 525 is to be honest not the best idea ive heard stick to a 7000 size reel minimun abu 7500C3 is a great real can pick them up for £70 aswell now or the 535 is a great real for rough ground with a fast 6.1:1 retrieve

#16 ·
Gerrys of Morecamb actually have the Abu 7500C3 for £58.99. I got one from Veals, but although i use mine from the boat can see it would be a great shore reel. Personally i would remove the level wind though. Contact Pete Coogan and he will sort you a conversion kit out. PM him i am sure someone will tell you his correct name i think its;
Abu_Surgeon_General

#17 ·
7000s are old hat and not in the same class for rock fishing as sloshes. The vast majority of North East "rock" anglers use sloshes for the retrieve power and speed as well as the fact they dont rust much due to the graphite frames etc. Most anglers originally used the 7000cts and these cast well and were easily repaired. When the newer high speed 7500 s came out people rushed to buy them. It didn't take long though to find many in the secondhand window. The spool spindles were made thinner to incorporate the larger pinion gear but they just flexed and locked up when retrieving only a modest weight. I dont know if this is still a problem though??

It may be worth looking at the new daiwa saltists. I dont know much about them but they look good with a metal frame etc. i jst dont know how they cast or are braked.

Also greys are bringing out their 1st shore reel. A few of the North East anglers are about to get them to test (ie use and abuse and generally leave in the bottom of their boxes in sea water!)
Will be interesting to see if they are any good??

#18 ·
I have an old abu 9000 reel which is in mint condition that my uncle gave me as he has stopped fishing some years back. I have it full with 30lb line and i gotta say what a dream it is, doubt it would cast far but you dont really need distance it in the ruff stuff but id feel mighty confident with it should a big fish take the bait.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.