World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Multiplier beginner

1K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Teabag80 
#1 ·
Hi all

Any tips or advice for a beginner to multipliers? Never cast with a multiplier before just wondered where i should start. Got a Penn fathom 15 and want to get the most out of it. Any thoughts, advice, hints, help etc etc would be great cheers :)

#5 · (Edited)
Get yourself on the field first mate, then if you do nest the reel you wont be wasting fishing time. Try not to snatch the cast, just take it slow and smooth to begin with then you can start loading the rod with more power. Make sure there are break blocks in and the spindle tension is quite tight to start with, then you can ease it off as you become more fluent. Get a thumby (i use innertube), cos you can burn your thumb during the cast and be sure to keep the leader knot to the side of the spool. Maybe start off with a heavier line as well as this will have less tendancy to nest and will slow the spool down during practice.

#10 ·
If your close to Steyning or can drive there thy meet on the first Sunday of each month. People there will be able to help you develop your cast be it an 'over head thump' OTG or a full pendulum.

Best advice I can suggest is try not to run before you can walk. Set the reel up slow, blocks, mags etc etc etc and take it easy to start with. Once you can master the cast and feel confident then slowly open the reel up. If its continually blowing up on you you'll get frustrated quickly.

#11 ·
Never used a multiplier so going to start with an overhead thump but once in used to it after a few hours practise ill definitely be moving onto the otg style cast then after a few months ill give the pendulum a try :)
PLEASE DO NOT START WITH THE OVERHEAD THUMP!! If any style was designed NOT to work with a multiplier it's the OHT
There's loads of information /demonstrations on YouTube about how to start casting. Search Terry Caroll Brighton Cast. It's SO easy to do. Search John Holden easy cast, I'm no good at posting links. Perhaps others can help here? Or take Tooolds advice and go to a casting meet. But DON'T practise Overhead Thumping as a way to improve your casting. IT WON'T.

#14 ·
Thanks mudsta will watch those videos and more tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's advice, I will take it all in board and won't try the over head thump. Cant get to steyning bit far for me so will just have to watch as many videos on youtube as possible.

#15 ·
My advice would be not look at where you are hoping the sinker is going to land, but instead to aim for the clouds.
40-45*
Sounds stupid, but when beginning it is way too easy to cast flat and that can be catestrophic when a novice with a multiplier.
If you have an arch of line in the air when your sinker touches down it will save a lot of heartache, line, time and tantrums.
Better safe than sorry, initially.
:)
Good luck

#19 ·
You should be OK without a 'thumbie' to start with doing a Brighton cast.

I travel from Kent to Steyning so am happy to pick you up on route (if its not too much out of the way) if you want. Also happy to give a few pointers but please accept I am no casting instructor.

Reactions: ...
#21 ·
If the rod you intend to use is 12 feet long, set your initial drop length to half the rod's length,tuck the weight, whatever size you use to start with, between the rod tip and the heel of your left foot, I am assuming you are right handed here. ALL casting is an acceleration to a stop...this applies to ALL casting,fly,surf, carp,etc., from this point, don't thrash, sweep the rod,leading with the left hand, and don't look at the horizon, look up to the sky,and aim for the clouds. The next bit, you can only do this yourself!
After perhaps a dozen tries, you have to decide if:
A) The rod feels too stiff.
B) The rod feels too "floppy".
C) The rod feels just right!
ONLY YOU CAN DECIDE. If the answer you decide is answer A, lengthen the length of line to the weight by 6" at a time until it is at C.Again, if the answer is B, then shorten the length of line by the same 6" until you reach C. It is no use asking for help when trying this - only YOU can decide!

PTR

Reactions: barfrei
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.