World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been casting with a FS for ever, so I want more distance. So I bought a cheap multiplier just to try it out. This may of been my 1st mistake, 2nd mistake its go a level wind. I also have a problem winding in, with a right hand multiplier, the guy in the shop said, wind it in with the reel under the rod, is this correct, I always thought you wound it in wind the reel on top of the rod!!

The problem being I cant cast any further. Any advice.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
You will have a problem winding in with the reel under the rod without a level wind otherwise there isn't a problem.
I assume that the reel you have does have centrifugal breaks and it's worth bearing in mind that in the past that is all the majority of reels had. All multipliers free up with use even with a level wind fitted. Use if for a while and see if it improves. If you have too many birds nests try removing line or even better fitting more brake blocks. More than one can be fitted to the same carrier. I would expect you to find that you can reach the same sort of distance as you do with a fixed spool with somewhat less effort. After that it's all down to casting.

John

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it possible to remove the brakes. I'm putting in a lot of effort to reach any distance, and dont need to slow reel down before the weight hits the water. It does it on its own without a birds nest.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Which reel is it?.

You can remove the blocks. On most reels you just undo the end plate with the thumb screws but others need a screw driver. They are little plastic bits mounted on carriers on the spools spindle. It would be very unusual to need to do this though.

Check your end play adjustment too. Loosen off the cap on the end of the reel till the spool can be moved from side to side and then tighten it till there is a tiny bit of play.
If at that point you can still move the spool with firm pressure there that is an additional brake adjustment that you may find you need if this is your problem Do make sure that the spool can be moved from side to side though.

John

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Just out of curiosity,why do you think switching from a fixed spool to a multi will give you more distance?To be honest,and without knowing how you cast or what tackle you use,you might have done better spending your money on either a better f/s or more importantly some casting lessons.

No offence intended mate.

·
The people's moral compass
12,846 Posts
what tackle dealer would recomend underslinging a multi:g:
it may not have been a recommendation, maybe more of a suggestion from experience ? when i got my first multi, a leeda level wind thing :yucky: about 7yrs ago, i couldn't make the transition from left hand wind fixed spool, to right hand wind multi, i had to wind it in with the reel under the rod ! i pretty much stayed with fixed spools til about 18month ago,

what i found was the most alien to me, was having the rod under my left arm, the breakthrough for me, was spying someone using the reel down the butt, i tried it with my then recent mag elite purchase, and never looked back, casts better, and feels so comfortable on the retrieve,

obviously you'll need a rod with no fixed reel seat, plenty of shops can remove this and fit shrink tube for not a great deal of money, it may not be right for you, but it certainly sorted me out,

only now that i'm using smaller rods for bass etc, have i begun to 'train' myself to hold the rod under my left arm, seems easy now, but back then :schmoll: :schmoll:

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I think you said the reel has Level wind? If so , i think you will find that this will reduce distance a fair bit. If it has, you can reel in with it under the rod, if not, you need it on top of the rod and would need it to be handed.

Is it possible to remove the brakes. I'm putting in a lot of effort to reach any distance, and dont need to slow reel down before the weight hits the water. It does it on its own without a birds nest.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I think it is very much a personal thing, hard core multiplier owners will forever belittle the humble fixed spool or coffee grinder as they prefer to call it ! LOL But with advances in rod /reel design the gap of distance casting is really only of any major significance on the casting field.
I always wind a fixed spool with my left hand, as being right handed I have more power to play the fish with the rod on the strongest side. A right handed multi feels so very wrong as you wind in the opposite direction. I have persevered with a couple of multis, casting and winding on a weekly basis down the river for near on 12 months ! Result ? No way I am going to be as comfortable, relaxed and have as much distance as I can get with my old Penn 70s & 750 fixed spools, 30 years with a fixed spool has seen to that.

It feels as alien as writing in the wrong hand when you have been right handed all your life, I have no problems with a fixed what so ever day or night. Any jerk in your casting style is not going to result in a nest on a multi ( I am not a consistant caster due to being minus 7 discs, lack of mobility (( no twist in body available )) and variable pain ) So for me, its fixed spool, baitcasters and keep on with multi wanging tennis balls round the park, until one day my brain actually conceads and lets it become a natural action. I do however look forward to having a play with a lefthanded multiplier as I suspect that may be the solution, even though I am right handed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dont need casting lessons. I've not done any serious fishing for over 12 years. I always thought that a multi will give more distance than a FS. So I may now be wrong. What with FS long cast spools. I basically want to try out a multi before I spent money on more expensive equiment. The multi I bought was only £22 so its not going to break my bank.

Just out of curiosity,why do you think switching from a fixed spool to a multi will give you more distance?To be honest,and without knowing how you cast or what tackle you use,you might have done better spending your money on either a better f/s or more importantly some casting lessons.

No offence intended mate.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
just out of interest....why are multi,s produced with the handle on the right hand side......being a right handed F/S user.....it does seem odd
im sure. theres a perfectly good explanation.
I have just received a 7HT to start me off in multi use...and already it is becoming easier to adjust........but given the choice i would prefer a multi with
left hand wind...cast it with reel down ....but wind in with reel up and rod under my left arm......:g:

Confused .....you will be gaz....:g:

Gaz :)

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Dont need casting lessons. I've not done any serious fishing for over 12 years. I always thought that a multi will give more distance than a FS. So I may now be wrong. What with FS long cast spools. I basically want to try out a multi before I spent money on more expensive equiment. The multi I bought was only £22 so its not going to break my bank.

Sorry I asked.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
sallysludgebucket you have convinced me to stick with the fixed. Time now to go and spend some money. :clap2:
it is just as effective as a multi more cumbersome but less hassle
try and pick up a s/h or cheap multi and have a few chucks with it to get used to it
an okuma fladen or shakespeare would do and if you dont like it well youve got a light boat reel , ok a 7ht would be a better choice lol
i come from fly fishing so switching from left to right hand wind is easy
i still cant get my head round those who find it uncomfortable

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
think thats the problem mate

·
Registered
82 Posts
stick with the fixed spool and get some casting tuition ,once you are casting over 240yds regular then maybe think about a multiplier ,but on the beach a f/s reel will hold its own with a multiplier distance wise for most casters/anglers ,its all down to personal preference , I cast with both but mainly fish with the f/s reel only going to the multi when having to winch fish up the rocks .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts