World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm after a multiplier for Bronze whaler fishing from the shore, any recommendations? I'm not after a top dollar reel as I'll only be chasing them once and a while.

Cheers guys..:thumbs

·
Registered
11,355 Posts
I take it you have a rod you want one for, otherwise I would say go with a spin reel. A shimano trinadad,talica,torsa etc would all be up to the task if you can cast them far enough. Will you be using mono or braid as the braid can be hard to level under heavy drag (thats why I like the spin reels). The trouble targeting the bronzes as you probably already know is you don't know if you are about to hook a 4kg or 400kg fish and you've also got much bigger tiger sharks up where you are heading. With the amount of other high speed pelagic s on offer up at Hervey bay you may not even want to bother with the sharks once you've had a couple.Australian Fishing: REPORT: Hervey Bay pelagics fire!

When I first came out I stuffed 2 slosh's and an Abu 7000 hooking fish to big for the reels to handle, if you are planning on buying from the UK you may want to check out the prices here at Reels - Fishing - MOTackle as they will beat any Aus price by 10% as well as all shimano reels have a 10 yr Aus warranty
JonD

·
Registered
21,133 Posts
I'm after a multiplier for Bronze whaler fishing from the shore, any recommendations? I'm not after a top dollar reel as I'll only be chasing them once and a while.

Cheers guys..:thumbs
:clap2: The guys at Sea Ace use the Daiwa Saltist 50's. They cast well, retrieve well, hold loads of line and are practically bomb proof and the added bonuses are, they're relatively cheap and spares if needed are readily available. :clap2:

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Norm, I was also thinking of the Torium 40, I wondered do the Saltists and Toriums have blocks to slow the spool down?

·
Registered
21,133 Posts
Thanks Norm, I was also thinking of the Torium 40, I wondered do the Saltists and Toriums have blocks to slow the spool down?
:clap2: Don't know about the Torium 40's but the Saltists and Toriums do have brake blocks. As a matter of interest, I landed bronzies of 105 & 107kgs in quick succession on the Saltist 50 and Simon the guide/owner personally uses a Shimano, don't know which one although it might be a Calcutta. :clap2:

·
Registered
11,355 Posts
I was going to add the saltists into this but having never used the multi version didn't want to comment on them. As for the spin saltists, I had the 6500h and 4500h which both ended on ebay after the first couple of uses. I have had a bad run on Daiwa gear and no longer feel willing to give them anymore chances, I have mates who love daiwa gear but they only tend to fish a handful of times a year. Shimano can also have problems but Ive found them to be generally better made. Just my opinion.
JonD

·
Registered
21,133 Posts
I was going to add the saltists into this but having never used the multi version didn't want to comment on them. As for the spin saltists, I had the 6500h and 4500h which both ended on ebay after the first couple of uses. I have had a bad run on Daiwa gear and no longer feel willing to give them anymore chances, I have mates who love daiwa gear but they only tend to fish a handful of times a year. Shimano can also have problems but Ive found them to be generally better made. Just my opinion.
JonD
:clap2: I've had a F/S Saltiga 4500Z for years and it's never let me down, beautiful smooth clutch and gears and I've used it all over the world without fault. Several Daiwa 2 speed multipliers, again never let me down and had some hard fighting fish on them and again, spares readily available if needed, only needed one bearing so far and it came by return of post. :clap2:

·
Registered
11,355 Posts
Ive got a few mates who also have that same 4500z real and love it, not sure if its something to do with quality control for this part of the world but when Ive had a few of their medium sized reels have parts fall off while heading offshore. On querying this under warranty I was told that I should of checked all screws were tight before using them. I do spend more time on the water than most people I know and are available to fish anyday the weather permits so my gear doesn't tend to last to long. Even my some of my shimano spin reels get replacement handles at around 6 month of use, cranking 400g+ jigs targeting yellowtail kingfish can be hard on gear especially jigging 300 m + of water (which many do with daiwa reels).
JonD

·
Registered
21,133 Posts
Ive got a few mates who also have that same 4500z real and love it, not sure if its something to do with quality control for this part of the world but when Ive had a few of their medium sized reels have parts fall off while heading offshore. On querying this under warranty I was told that I should of checked all screws were tight before using them. I do spend more time on the water than most people I know and are available to fish anyday the weather permits so my gear doesn't tend to last to long. Even my some of my shimano spin reels get replacement handles at around 6 month of use, cranking 400g+ jigs targeting yellowtail kingfish can be hard on gear especially jigging 300 m + of water (which many do with daiwa reels).
JonD
:nono: I don't think it's a quality control problem in various parts of the world as I would think the reels are checked when packed and they don't get checked locally, but I could be wrong. To be honest, I wouldn't expect to pay £600+ and have to check screws etc before using. I'd have a word with your supplier and if you don't get satisfaction contact the head honcho in Japan about poor/abysmal after sales service locally. :nono:

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I take it you have a rod you want one for, otherwise I would say go with a spin reel. A shimano trinadad,talica,torsa etc would all be up to the task if you can cast them far enough. Will you be using mono or braid as the braid can be hard to level under heavy drag (thats why I like the spin reels). The trouble targeting the bronzes as you probably already know is you don't know if you are about to hook a 4kg or 400kg fish and you've also got much bigger tiger sharks up where you are heading. With the amount of other high speed pelagic s on offer up at Hervey bay you may not even want to bother with the sharks once you've had a couple.Australian Fishing: REPORT: Hervey Bay pelagics fire!

When I first came out I stuffed 2 slosh's and an Abu 7000 hooking fish to big for the reels to handle, if you are planning on buying from the UK you may want to check out the prices here at Reels - Fishing - MOTackle as they will beat any Aus price by 10% as well as all shimano reels have a 10 yr Aus warranty
JonD

Hi Jon I've got a dozen beach rods up for the job haven't we all lol. Some are rigged for spin reels others for multipliers or overhead reels as I'll have to start calling them. I'm with you I do prefer Shimano, but I would try a Saltist or Saltiga

·
Registered
765 Posts
I use saltist 50s all the time for tackle packs in Guinea Bissau and for a relatively budget reel , they stand up brilliantly . Mostly used the silver ones , not sure how the new black and gold one stacks up. Just sent 6 over for this year , so we will soon see.

R

·
Registered
183 Posts
The reels we use here (as Norm B says) are Saltist 50's. We have landed bronzies to 189.5kg (417lb) from the beaches here on these reels with no issues. The silver Saltist has been replaced by Daiwa with the Saltist BG (Black Gold) and that is an even better reel than the original silver one.
If money is no object then look at the Daiwa Saltiga 50 Lever Drag reels. They are also designed to cast and have brake systems in them. If you prefer Shimano then the Trindad 30A are good to cast but difficult to service as there is no end plate to remove to get to the bearings.
Other Shimano's (Talica etc) are boat reels; you can cast them but have to have a good thumb. The old gold Shimano Trindads are no longer sold in 30 size (or below) but are available in 40 and 50 size still (50 holds about 1200 meters of line/braid mix.). Shimano 30 and Daiwa 50 are the same sized reels, just they number them differently.

For all round fishing you would be hard pressed to beat the Saltist for price, durability and performance.

If you prefer fixed spool reels and braid then you will pay a lot for one with a good enough drag system.

·
Registered
889 Posts
The Shimano / Daiwa argument has raged since the dawn of time and I don't reckon will be solved any time soon! Personally I've got Stellas, Sargosas and TLDs, Saltigas and SLx0SHs, and they've all performed just fine. I think the Saltiga Z6500 is probably my favourite on balance...always found the handle on my Stella a bit over-engineered, but it's a nitpicker's difference...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts