World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am reasonably new to the sea fishing scene and having given it a go and thoroughly enjoyed every minute I realise I am in the sport for some time to come.Therefore I am continually searching for a multiplier reel that is suited to inshore boat work, but with so many different reels on the market ( good & bad ) I am in need of some experienced advice.
All help gratefully received
- Arctechnic

·
Registered
63 Posts
Arctechnic said:
I am reasonably new to the sea fishing scene and having given it a go and thoroughly enjoyed every minute I realise I am in the sport for some time to come.Therefore I am continually searching for a multiplier reel that is suited to inshore boat work, but with so many different reels on the market ( good & bad ) I am in need of some experienced advice.
All help gratefully received
- Arctechnic
Hi there,

I've just been sorting out exactly the same problem. Wanting a reel to do uptide and downtide; I wanted a level wind as I'm not really experienced and wanted to concentrate on catching the fish.

It seems the best value for money is the 'Shimano Charter Special 2000' can be bought for £80 on web from Mainwarings - I don't work for them!

The other to consider is the Abu 7000 but more expensive.

Tight lines ><> ><> ><> Jack

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Jack!!
These are two reels that I have on my short list ( unfortunately it is not so short ).
I have had a cheaper reel to set me on my way and it was exactly that CHEAP, all the same I had many hours of happy fishing. I do not mind paying out for a quality reel I just want to make sure I am getting the right tool for the job.
Once again many thanks for your advice.
Happy Angling
Arctechnic
Further advise from other anglers would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Arctechnic,

If you have a look at some of the other topics on this site you will see that the same question has been discussed many times over.

We all have our favourite pieces of tackle, those who can afford it, push the boat out and purchase what they think is best, the others who may be not so well off purchase what they can afford. All in all we all love our sport and when it comes down to it we buy what we can afford.

When it comes to reels, my opinion is that you must buy the best, after all, this is the piece of equipment that brings in the fish. Whilst a strong bamboo cane will suffice as a rod you must have something to wind the fish in with.

As you state; you are looking for a reel that will do probably three jobs, downtiding, uptiding and maybe beachcasting. There are many reels on the market that will suit you. They will all do the job, some better than others. Over the years (I am 62) I have tried most of them, I have borrowed reels from fellow anglers whilst boat fishing and I have hired some from charter skippers, etc.etc.etc.

The next question is how long do you want your reel to last? I certainly don't want to pay out every other year for a reel that rots from the inside out or seize up half way through a retrieve. I look for something that will last for quite a few years.

Next question is, who is going to maintain your reel? A reel must be cleaned and dried after each days use, i.e. if you want it to last. This is normally done by gently washing it out in warm clean water and leaving it in a warm place overnight. Depending on use, every now and again the reel should be thoroughly cleaned and oiled and at least once a year the drag system should be stripped and cleaned. Whither you do this yourself or have it done professionally is your choice, however I do this myself.

I own quite a few reels for various types of fishing and the ones that I like best and which have never let me down are the ones from Abu. They are a little more expensive than some of the others but are well worth the extra pennies. They are the easiest to maintain and get parts for. Yes even they require parts now and again. Next come the Shimanos and last but not least the Daiwa range. All are quality reels but Abu is the Rolls Royce.

Have a look at the 7000/7500C3 one of them will do all that you ask of it.

Whilst on board Meridian Express recently I witnessed a 55lb Conger being brought aboard with a Shimano Exage 12/20 travel rod coupled with an Abu 6500 Mag Elite with 30lb braid.

I hope that this helps you with your quest.

I do not work for Abu, I am a Maintenance Engineer.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
*THANKS DREW!!!*
Some excellent advice that is very much appreciated.
I hope I didn't offend anyone by mentioning cheap & nasty reels. I realise that not everyone can afford to spend a lot on tackle but the point I was trying to make by this is exactly as you have stated in your reply,some reels do not tend to last too long even when looked after in the appropriate manner. I have learned this through experience of such reels even in my short life as a sea angler. It is for this reason that I have asked for advice on a subject where I could spend money on numerous reels when I would probably be better pooling that money to buy a better quality reel that will perform better and hopfully last longer. The question is which reel will suit me?
I think that you have very kindly answered that question.
Once again thank you for your very much valued experience.
Best wishes & tight lines
Arctechnic

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'll keep this very simple

Beach casting use ABU 6500 Range
Inshore boat and uptiding Diawa SLO30SH OR ABU 7000

These reels are truely fantastic, ive had mine now for about 8 years and they still look and work like new.
HOWEVER...you must look after them.

To keep the cost down why not try a good second hand one.

·
Registered
327 Posts
How does the ABU Seven compare? I understand that it is a "Narrow" version of the 7000.
Does anyone have one or any info on them?

Jet

1 - 8 of 8 Posts