World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>I&#39;m divided between the Abu 6500, aBU 7000, Daiwa 7HT and Penn 525. It&#39;ll be my first real multiplier but I want to buy once and get a lot of use out of it.

At current I&#39;m a bit favourable towards the Abu and the 6500 version. I will use it for shore / beach casting.

There is the C3 CT elite and the CT Sports Mag (I believe this one an award last year). Any ideas on which is better? &nbsp;Or any reason to chose the Daiwa and Penn over this (I based my selection on the lower gear ratio).

Finally, what is main difference between the magnetic and no magnetic brakes -- any reason to avoid one or the other? Thanks a lot in advance, as result of sound advice from the forum I can now use a multiplier :) ...and once I get my reel, I will seek a local instructor... Best

Izzy</font>

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font color='#810541'>Reel choice depends on the type of ground you are fishing, and personal preference.

I have several different reels (including the Mag525, Abu 6500 elite and 7HT). I learnt to cast with the 7HT and it was perfect for the purpose, but I rarely use it now because I don&#39;t find it suitable for anything other than clean ground, and find the small handle particularly annoying.  

The Abu Mag elite / sports mag have magnetic and centrifugal brakes (the little fibre blocks).  The 7HT is controlled by centrifugal brakes alone and the Penn Mag 525 is controlled by magnets alone.  Wonder when Diawa are going to come up with a mainstream magnet model (seems to be the trendy thing to do) ?

Magnetic brakes offer the advantage of being able to tweak the reel while you are fishing to suit the conditions, for example: Set the reel up so it is &#39;safe&#39; on a mid-range mag setting, then you can whack the magnets up if casting big baits or into a strong headwind, or set them lower if casting small baits long distance with a nice tail wind.  I have found that the mag settings on the ABU do not make a huge difference (to the point of &#39;why are they even there&#39;).  The Penn 525 mag settings are much more sensitive because there is no other braking system.

If I had to pick just one reel to use then it would have to be the mag 525 - quite simply because it is just so versatile. I fish clean beaches right through to rough rock marks, and the 525 can take it all. Having said that, the various ABU 65&#39;s are fine reels for clean/mixed ground.  I use the Abu and Penn regularly. The only complaint I have with my abu is that it doesnt have a ratchet (although I think the non-magnetic versions do?), and the only complaint I have with my Penn Mag 525 is that I find the mag setting slider is easily moved to the &#39;fast&#39; setting by accident/unnoticed (presumumably this can be solved by tweaking a spring behind it, but I really don&#39;t want to explore...)

Hope this helps... but no doubt as the thread progresses you will read conflicting reports from different anglers, which serves to emphasise that all the reels you mentioned are quality products, and it all boils down to what type of fishing you do, and which reel you prefer the &#39;feel&#39; of.</font>

·
Registered
3 Posts
<font color='#000000'>whatever reel you decide on go on www.spottydogtackle.com and have a look as they are the cheepest in the country, they have a full range of abu reels, diwa reels and stock the penn 525. the 525 isnt on the website but phone them up and they will give you their great prices.

Ralph</font>

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for your responses, I have actually read a lot of your previous forum emails and am now inclined to take the advice and go the route of the Penn. Spent some time on their site too. &nbsp;

Yes, I have already found www.spottydogtackle.com and they are indeed the cheapest, also quite helpful when I phoned today to enquire about the Abu. I don&#39;t think they do Penn though as they dont have it on their site (?)

Forgive me being a newbie on these issues as such but I take it that a &#39;mag&#39; *is* better then than a normal 525?

Also, do people prefer the 525 because the 535 too large, for hand and beachcasting?

Finally, as I said in my original post some weeks ago when learning the multiplier, I was sold a Sand Storm ZS12F (fixed spool) when I started angling ( I paid £100). Should I just sell this on or is it possible/viable to ring it to be a multiplier -- if so, do you know anywhere that could do this for me ? If not, any advise on what I should get?

Most of my diving will be in Dorset. These will be beaches, pebble to sand, and rocks. Thanks and best. This forum is great (I did subscribe to the mag too but it seems it takes time to get it and have only a couple of copies :) Best

Izzy</font>

&

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<font color='#0000FF'>Manx Fisher, &nbsp;Could you please explain the &#39;magnet thingy&#39; and your comment on various types of ground. &nbsp;I&#39;m a bit flummoxed about what type of reel used has on the operation on different types of ground, &#39;perprlexed of Melksham&#39; a.k.a. Mature student (Tony).</font>

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font color='#810541'>Hi Tony

Basically, when fishing over clean ground (ie sand) less stress/demands are placed on the tackle. But when you are fishing over rougher ground (anything from weed covered stones, boulders, thick kelp) then you need to have tackle that will cope with winching fish/tackle in. &nbsp;You will probably also need to step up in line diameter. &nbsp;

Think of it in terms of cars, you wouldnt take the family saloon onto a steep muddy slope, but a 4x4 would be more than happy on the rougher terrain, and it is also driveable along smooth tarmac roads. &nbsp;Of course, if you only ever drive on roads then you don&#39;t need a 4x4 (not that this seems to stop people who never need a 4x4 from buying one). &nbsp;Wonderful thing Kudos...

Anyway, the Abu 65 series can be likened to the family saloon, and Mag 525 is a 4x4.

Of course, even a 4x4 has limitations.

When the going gets really tough (big fish from very rough ground) then a Penn 535, Diawa SL30 or ABU 7000 would be needed - the sherman tanks of fishing reels.

Not sure which bit about &#39;magnet thingy&#39; you are refering to, but basically some reels use a magnetic braking system to control the spool speed. &nbsp;I am not sure of the technical aspects behind it, but then again I have no idea how/why the TV works and yet I still manage to operate it successfully
</font>

·
Registered
19 Posts
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote (Manx Fisher @ Aug. 15 2004,22:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><font color='#000000'>Anyway, the Abu 65 series can be likened to the family saloon, and Mag 525 is a 4x4.</font>[/b][/quote]
<font color='#000000'>I love this analogy
</font>

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for all the advice. I had a long conversation with Paul at spottydogtackle.com who was *immensely* helpful. With a bit more advice and budgetary reasons (the Penn "is" expensive) I ended up finally buying an Abu Esprit Beach Caster 13ft rod and an Abu 6500 CT mag elite. They will arrive tomorrow which is great, as its my day off and I have hours to play :) WIll check to find an instructor here (Portland) before it gets too messy.

PS: Here starts the bird nest questions and of course what technique is best to wind in without the level wind?? Best

Izzy</font>

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font color='#810541'>Good luck with the new toys Izzy.

Personal tution is by far the best/quickest way to go to improve casting. &nbsp;I would also advise that you try and get hold of an old video by John Holden (not sure of the exact title - long range casting or long distance casting or something simliar). &nbsp;It is a gem, and despite being so old (20 years ish?) it still covers everything you will need to know - you can even have a chuckle at how dated it looks while it takes you through the basic principles of casting (which are the same now as they have always been). &nbsp;Then it&#39;s all down to practice
</font>

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<font color='#000000'>Thanks Manx and everyone who has assisted on this. I called up Sea Angler this morning (I also subscribe to WSF) and through them contacted a local instructor. Both SA and John Hodgson were immensely helpful.

I think I might have frightened him with the prospect of me spending my day off tomorrow experimenting on my non level wind new Abu so he proposed to do a course asap -- as in tomorrow afternoon before I mis-taught myself. So many rods, 2 FS reels later and some internet shopping as much as good advice from this Forum I think I am now going to enjoy my angling far more. Can&#39;t wait till the morning to receive my new toys&#33;

Manx, I have never come across the Casting book but will check it. I have the SA videos which I found quite useful, and also have read The complete guide to fishing skills, Sea fishing properly explained, The consice encyclopedia if fishing (which is really a good book to read to full) and the SA Baits and rigs.

Though all mention multipliers and give tips, I haven&#39;t so far found the amount of recommendations and advice I got online from other anglers, from my prospective instructor and Paul over at www.spottydogtackle.com who was ever so helpful. Seems there is a vacuum here for an experienced angler/writer to build on :)

I&#39;ll post how I get along for anyone interested but its nice that the world of anglers is full of people ready to assist and there is a forum like this. Best regards

Izzy ~ Portland</font>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts