World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Got a new reel for xmas, a multiplier reel.
I have never had a multiplier before so Im not really sure how to use one, and what the names of certain things are used for, would anyone be able to answer these questions?

What is a Levelwind?
What is gear Ratio?
and please feel free to tell me anything else about it!

Thank you

'OH, and well done poacher on your cod!'

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
The levelwind is a mechanism at the front of the reel which moves from left to right as you reel in, this spreads the line evenly across the spool for you. If you haven't got one of these built in, you have to make sure that you lay the line on the spool yourself, using thumb & forefinger, (a pain when you have a fish on & forget to do it)!!!
Gear ratio dont worry about it, its built in to the mechanism, its how many times the spool rotates, for one turn of the handle, (its normally between 4 & 5) but who gives a s**t.
StarDrag is the star shaped thing mounted on the same shaft as the handle, you tighten that up so that the clutch will slip before the line breaks, or if you have a big fish on, it can take line off the reel rather than the line snapping. If the drag is set properly, & you are stuck in the bottom or a big fish, you should be able to turn the handle without gaining any line, (try it with the line tied to your fence)!
Casting with one is an experience only time can give you! On the opposite side of the reel to the handle, you will see an adjustable srew cap, this controls the speed the spool runs at.
Fit the reel onto the rod thread the line through the eyes until you have about 2/3ft out of the top eye, tighten the screw cap up fairly tight, attach whatever weight you intend to use, & slacken the screw cap off until the weight just starts to drop under its own accord. This should now enable you to start practice casting, (as far away from anybody else as possible)! You should ALWAYS use a "shock leader" of 10lbs for every ounce of weight you are casting ie 5ozs = 50lbs shock leader.
Go find somewhere remote to practice, & be prepared to undo some tangles that can only have come from hell!!!!!!
Here endeth the first lesson!
blueskip

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blueskip, you are a legend, thank you for this help, it will help me alot, and if i have any questions i will come straight to you.

Cheers Blueskip, have a good new year!

·
Registered
55 Posts
thx from me for the answer to that as well - Ive just been trying my new multiplier with more than a few problems - after only ever having used fixed spool - aside from bird-nest syndrome that drove me to swap back to fixed spool the other night ... (sufficiently horrendous to eventually take scissors to the entire reel load when i got home) - I would like to extend locals' question to ask about reeling in....

Normally with fixed spool (being right handed) - I hook the rod under right arm - grab rod firmly with right hand - and reel in with left hand - now I find myself with a multiplier - with which I'm winding with my right hand (i think lol) ... - just wondering if you could explain your stance - i.e. assuming theres a bleedin great codling on the end giving you a fight ;) .... where & how to you grasp the rod - in order to give you control of the rod, ability to wind quickly & smoothly (preseumably with right hand) - and still manage to level wind (or attempt to) with ya thumb etc - (my new Diawa SL20SH doesnt have a level wind at all)..

sorry if the question is a tad basic - but when I was reeling in the other night - I was all over the place - and amost resorted to gripping the rod between my legs for xtra support... :)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
One of the most important things to remember to prevent birds nests - is to make sure that the reel has been evenly loaded on the previous wind in.

Your casting confidence (and therefore ability) will drastically improve once you have got the nack of it. Once you can take your thumb off the spool altogether with only normal spool brakes during a big cast - then you will know that you have got the hang of loaded a spool properly.

Until that time comes - buy economy line to save money if the birds nests have to be cut out. - Never forget to use a shock leader. - keep taking your fixed spool reel as a back up until multiplyer mastered. - take things easy and build up the distances as the line control allows you.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Rod butt tucked under LEFT armpit, rod turned UPSIDE DOWN (eyes on top) left hand grips the rod just in front of the reel seat, (you can now use thumb & forefinger to guide the line on if you dont have a levelwind), right hand does the winding, simplicity itself.
Dont forget to clamp the spool with your thumb when casting, take it off when you get to the " 5 to 11" position so that the line runs off smoothly, then jam it back on when the weight hits the water! piece of cake!!
blueskip

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Folks,

Great advice from everyone, could not be better.

If I could add a little more!!! Go down to the beach where someone is fishing with a multiplier and ask if they will explain how it is done.(make sure first of all that the person you ask can cast). You can read all about, how to do it, but you can't beat a demonstration.

Cheers

Drew

1 - 8 of 8 Posts