World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again,

Recently got a multiplier (Shakespear Solara) - for my shakespear atlantis rod. I changed the attachments on the rod so I can use either that or my my Fixed spool. (Ive been too chicken to try the multiplier since my first attempt - which ended in a crack-off on the first cast and line flying everywhere the second).

I guess I just need to know what to set to cast really. Theres the brake next to the winder, and a button which enables freespool (which cancels on movement of the winder). (oh and the 'clicker switch' that gives the noticable click when the line is feeding through the brake .

Do I use the free spool to cast (using thumb on reel to release) and slow down with my thumb when tracer hits the water, or do I cast with the brake on but set it just enough to prevent overspill when the lead stops on landing.

Sorry if this is a simpletons question - every search I do on google just tries to sell me another Multiplier (and instructions in the box woulda been nice ;) ).

Will no doubt take both spools tomorrow wherever I go - but any hints appreciated from you experienced lot ...

Thx in advance

Red.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
"Duffers Tip" tighten the brake up as far as it will go, (without going stark raving mad), attach whichever weight you are going to use 4, 5, 6oz etc, then press the "free spool" button in, the weight should remain at the top of the rod, then back the brake off until the weight just starts to slowly drop. ;)
You may not get the full distance at first, because the brake is going to be partially applied to the spool, but it should cut down on the "birdsnests", you must still keep your thumb "hovering" just above the spool, & as soon as the weight hits the water stop the spool with your "hovering" thumb. ;)
Remember the "free spool" button must ALWAYS be clicked in when you cast, the drag should be set to the correct breaking strain setting (so that it pulls off before the line snaps), & your spool brake should always be applied so as the weight only drops slowly. ;)
If that dont work buy a fixed spool & use your multiplier as an anchor! :(
Keep practicing, its taken 40yrs to become second nature to me, & I still use a fixed spool if I have a restricted backswing :D

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
PS It goes without saying that your thumb must be CLAMPED on the spool during the backswing, & until you reach 45 degrees between shoulder & nipple, your weight should be looking above the horizon before you release that spool!!!!!! :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts